Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You're on the right track and sounds like you've gotten some very good advice, which I'll second (or third). The tarp you've got will work in a variety of conditions. I've got the same tarp. Though I no longer use it backpacking because of weight, I did so for several years and found it to be a tough and economical choice that never let me down.

Based on the scenarios you presented, I agree with others that your best bang for the buck would be a synthetic underquilt. I too have an AHE Jarbidge and can recommend it.

If lows are in the upper 60s to low 70s, the micro fleece blanket is the way to go. The sleeping bag in top quilt mode should work fine as temps drop. Use it really loose and vented in warmer weather and start tucking and bundling as lows get in the 50s and 40s. With the Jarbidge and that sleeping bag, I wouldn't be afraid to try to go down to freezing or even upper 20s. Wearing a good wool cap or balaclava when it's cold makes a world of difference and can stretch the capabilities of your quilts.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Steel,

Id also suggest you go synthetic because of chances of thing getting wet/damp. You still get some insulation value at night.

Regarding the tarp, go get a 12 X 10 poly tarp at Walmart, for 14 bucks. Get the grommet kit for another 9 bucks. Put the grommets wherever you like, for your system. Ive been using this set up now, for over a year. The tarp is great as its works, is cheap, is stronger than any sil nylon or sil poly tarp and it has many, many other applications, for camping. Best of all, this setup allows you to figure out what you want/need for a true camping tarp. Fortunately for me, I was able to save up and just a few weeks ago, ordered a Hammock Gear " The Journey Tarp", in 12 X 10.

FWIW I too used a rectangular bag. It worked just fine to get me into 20 ish nites out last year. It was a 0 Teton Sports bag. I took it down to about 29 ish, using a Wide Thermarest Rdige Runner CCF pad. This also taught me what I wanted in my quilts.

Have fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12