Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Trying to make a decision

I'm brand new to hammock camping. I've been a backpacker for over 45 years all in tents. I have medical issues that prevent me from hiking any long distances now but I can still kayak/canoe camp. Also short walk in camping in state parks and national forests are OK. I am giving that background to give an idea of the type of hanging I would be doing. No deep winter camping is going to be likely for me.

I've been hanging in an Xtra large woven Mayan hammock for over 18 years. Never really slept overnight in it. But it has spoiled me as far as comfort.

I picked up a deal on a Wildhorn Outpost II for $24.00. I have a Hennessy Hex Rainfly. I've done a couple of test over nighters on my porch and in the yard. The gear I have available to me is

An old 3/4 length Thermarest UL pad
    A RidgeRest CCF full length pad
    A Northface Chrysalis 3 season semi-rectangular down bag rated 15F to 45F degrees. It does not have a hood and has a full zipper.
    The channeling in the bag allows me to shift the down to the top or bottom to regulate the R factor.

What I THINK I would like would be a UQ and use my Northface bag as a TQ. I am OK using my old trusty Thermarest UL as a pad in the hammock but for me it detracts from the hammock experience. I'm trying to get some advice on what gear I should consider. TQ, UQ and what rating.

So far I've done the following test.

All nights I slept in cotton gym shorts and a cotton T.

Night #1
    Low 68. No breeze. RidgeRest with the bag zipped to make a foot box used as a top quilt.
    This was a very uncomfortable night. I was hot and couldn't get comfortable on the RidgeRest.
    I also find the bag seems to be too large and bulky when unzipped and used as a quilt.

Night#2
    Low 70. No breeze. Thermarest with bag completely unzipped used as a top quilt no foot box.
    More comfortable on the Thermarest but hot. Lot of condensation on waking.

Night#3
    Low 66. Thunderstorm moderate rain and wind. No pad. Bag completely unzipped used as a top quilt no foot box.
    Never really got to sleep. Cold all night and back ached. I realized at 5am it was due to being cold. Abandoned ship and went inside.

Night #4
    Low 71. No breeze. Light rain sometime in the night. Thermarest pad and only a micro fleece blanket.
    Best night sleep in the hammock so far. I didn't even really use the blanket at all. Not cold and no condensation.

OK. So all that data considered what rating of UQ should I look at and do I continue to use the Northface or go with a dedicated TQ? If so what rating?

Hammock
    Walhalla
    Tarp
    Walhalla
    Insulation
    Trailheadz & JRB
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum. I think that you are over thinking things a bit and trying to mix too many different types of pads, bags, tarps and quilts. I did the same thing i first started out. You are close to Thomasville NC, I would suggest getting with Marty at Wilderness Logics. You can get into each of his hammocks that are setup and get a feel for the difference. Marty is very knowledgeable and can help you get into the proper equipment for your needs. He is not pushy and will take time to work with you one on one. I switched everything to Wilderness Logics and am very happy with my setup now. Message me if you need Marty's info.
    HANG WELL MY FRIENDS AND HANG IN THERE!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Many of us who have tried pads or similar systems came to the same conclusion: condensation just isn't comfortable. These days I only carry a pad if I believe going to ground is a very real possibility, and that ts rare indeed.

If winter camping is out and the 60s and 70-s you're hanging in is more typical, you can go with a synthetic quilt and save some money over down. The weight penalty at these temps isn't significant and for canoe/kayak/cr camping, neither is the compressibility. I've been quite happy with my 40° Apex UQ from Arrowhead. There are others as well. Regarding the topquilt, you have also discovered that in a hammock a warm back = a warm front most of the time. In Summer when temps are above 65° I routinely use a 40° UQ and just a light fleece blanket (I am a warm sleeper though). Even with temps in the upper 30s I've paired my 20° UQ with a 40° TQ and been fine. So don't be afraid to find something besides your big sleeping bag for those warmer nights, especially once you get the wrap-around warmth of a good UQ.

I agree with RENDAWG - if you can get yourself to someplace where yo can try out a few options you'll be much happier.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by RENDAWG View Post
    Message me if you need Marty's info.
    Thanks.

No doubt I can get into analysis paralysis. I've been looking at Wilderness Logics and have thought about paying them a visit. I'm retired on a fixed income and way too many hobbies to get too involved with hammocks. I just want to do a couple or three overnight fishing trips a year. Maybe a group hang to get social.

I'm probably going to end up using a pad and my bag. Please let me know the best way to contact Marty and I'll set up a visit.

I'm quite familiar with the Chrysalis, I own two! Being a semi-rectangular bag, they actually function quite well as TQs, as do all NF's semi-rectangular sleeping bags. As you know, just zip the bottom shut just past the lower corner and you have a footbox. I rarely feel the zipper under me. Take the cord lock off: it hits you in the face. You can always put it back on. I personally don't find it to be too wide. I tuck it under my shoulders on both sides. If it's warm, I push it down to my thighs or further.

I'm also an avid canoeist, including regular long trips. Space is not unlimited, even more of an issue with a kayak. Because of that, I'd lean toward a down UQ rather than synthetic but maybe you actually do have the room...

If I could have only one UQ, I'd opt for 20° but if your camping temps remain in the range of your test, 40° might be plenty. I like 3/4 length. (That alone saves enough space that a synthetic could be viable option.)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Space is not unlimited, even more of an issue with a kayak. Because of that, I'd lean toward a down UQ rather than synthetic but maybe you actually do have the room...
    I think for a variety of reasons I'll go Synthetic. I have a Jackson Kilroy so I have almost as much space as a canoe. The AE 3 season Jarbridge looks interesting. I couldn't make one for that price.

Jarbridge kicks a$$. I used a cheap synthetic bag for summer camping when I started. Last year I bought a 3 season Jarbridge and am now using a Jungle Blanket for a TQ in warm weather-temps in 60s at night. I like being warm when I sleep. In a canoe or kayak I would lean toward synthetic due to dampness. I mostly hang in the Blue Ridge.I stayed warm with the UQ and bag into the 40s. I travel by motorcycle so space is limited. I understand all too well fixed income.

Bob

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    I will bring my Jarbridge to the show & tell/meet & greet on Thursday so you can see one in person. This assumes good weather Wednesday night so I can retrieve from storage.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish Comet View Post
    I will bring my Jarbridge to the show & tell/meet & greet on Thursday so you can see one in person. This assumes good weather Wednesday night so I can retrieve from storage.
    That's a very generous offer. Thank You. I won't hold you to it if unforeseen circumstances like an elevation in the proverbial creek may prevent it.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Marty
    WildernessLogics
    336 689 7559
    336 475 1421