Dutchware Chameleon WB RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Dyneema
    Insulation
    EE Rev HG UnderQui
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I started with a Zpacks bear bag on the AT but recently I have switched to an Ursack as my pitching arm isn't what it used to be. Also got a barrel vault for BWCA travels.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Tim Pappy Case, if you go back to hanging a food bag, there's an arborists' throwing technique I learned from former HF mod, NC Patrick. It makes old shoulders young again (by not using them for baseball type throws). Stand with your back to the limb you want to throw over and swing the weighted throw bag on about 15" of slack back and forth between your legs a few times. On a forward swing, continue upward and throw the weight over your head behind you. You'll be surprised at how much more power you can get this way, and it's far more accurate than either baseball or lasso type throws. You'll quickly learn how far in front of the target to stand. You'll also learn not to overthrow. If the limb is only 30 feet off the ground, you don't want to get your line tangled in the branches that are 40 feet above it.

@Dutch: PM coming soon.

Images
    WV, good to see I'm not the only one that remembers NC Patrick..He's the one that organized the first Yates Hang..
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundHog View Post
    WV, good to see I'm not the only one that remembers NC Patrick..He's the one that organized the first Yates Hang..
    GroundHog, what year was first Yates Hang?

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeDavidBowie View Post
    I've never used the PCT method of food hanging before but when Dutch came out with his own dongle for it, i decided to get one and try it out.

I'm wondering what type of food bag people usually use with the PCT style of hanging. I was thinking just a regular roll top style dry bag? And how big should i get of a bag in terms of liters?
    A few years ago for motorcycle camping, I bought a few different size roll top dry bags. Currently I use one of them for food hangs, a 20 liter bag and it’s far too large. I’m thinking my next bag will be a 10 liter or smaller. 5 or 7.5 liter will be perfect for a two or three day backpack trip for me.

I use a marlin spike hitch with a 40’ length of lash it and a home made toggle from an aluminum spike that I cut and polished up.

Inside the dry bag, I use OpSacks to minimize food smells getting out to tempt critters.

Using a slick bit of cordage will serve you well for food bag hangs. Practice food hangs a few times at a local park if you are able.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234