Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend

Marlin Spike hitch?

481ED5E8-C657-4554-A3F1-4109C1952E74.jpg

Using my new suspension 3rd night out. Is this really the Marlin, or have I just lucked out on it holding me? I definitely move around sleeping. But would rest more soundly, if I were more confident in my hitch. I’m thinking “Did I really hang on the knot, not the toggle? Is this my lucky new invention? Should I hang lower in case it fails?”

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like you not on the knot but resting more on the toggle.
    Seems to be a strong toggle from the looks but get the amsteel on the knot and sleep soundly.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Aegismax 40* Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    It's hard to trace the way it runs from the pic, but that looks... upsidedown maybe? Just not quite right. Maybe I'm seeing things. Dunno.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Looks just right!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe cinch the MSH a little tighter before loading it, but even as-is it should hold.

The nice thing about a Ti toggle, however, is that it offers some margin for error, certainly more than Al or a stick, in which case you really gotta get it right.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-23-2018 at 10:28.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    What Shug said...

If you thread the toggle through the fixed eye from the opposite side, the eye will sit at the point on the MSH where it crosses itself over the top of the strap. Your eye will then sit on the knot, rather than the toggle.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    It is VERY important to follow the exact sequence in Shug's video! I have been using this toggle for several years, then one trip I first experienced difficulty with getting the whoopie "on the knot, not on the toggle". I thought I finally had it and slept in the hammock for two nights. When it came time to pack up, the toggles were really hard to twist out of the knot. What the heck, I thought. Then when I tried to pull the strap to release the knot, I had to fight it hard. This had never happened before. My toggles are slick and after the toggles are easily removed, the knot falls apart with just a slight tug. I finally figured out the problem. The crucial step to follow is: after forming the first loop, flip it up TOWARDS the tree, reach through the loop and grab the strap coming from the tree, definitely NOT the one going towards the hammock. The temptation is to form the loop and then simply reach through and grab the strap portion that goes to the hammock. Both methods form a slip knot, but the wrong one puts all the weight of the hammock and person directly into tightening the knot, causing the problems and making it difficult or impossible to put the whoopie on the knot and not on the toggle. Doing it wrong is also very hard on the tree strap. I hope this helps and is understandable.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    It is VERY important to follow the exact sequence in Shug's video! I have been using this toggle for several years, then one trip I first experienced difficulty with getting the whoopie "on the knot, not on the toggle". I thought I finally had it and slept in the hammock for two nights. When it came time to pack up, the toggles were really hard to twist out of the knot. What the heck, I thought. Then when I tried to pull the strap to release the knot, I had to fight it hard. This had never happened before. My toggles are slick and after the toggles are easily removed, the knot falls apart with just a slight tug. I finally figured out the problem. The crucial step to follow is: after forming the first loop, flip it up TOWARDS the tree, reach through the loop and grab the strap coming from the tree, definitely NOT the one going towards the hammock. The temptation is to form the loop and then simply reach through and grab the strap portion that goes to the hammock. Both methods form a slip knot, but the wrong one puts all the weight of the hammock and person directly into tightening the knot, causing the problems and making it difficult or impossible to put the whoopie on the knot and not on the toggle. Doing it wrong is also very hard on the tree strap. I hope this helps and is understandable.
    That does help, thanks! I didn’t know that!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I think it would be helpful to have someone take a few CLOSE pictures of all the possible WRONG ways to do it as well. That way people new to the technique can better understand. Since the wrong ways look so similar to the correct way to a layman, it helps to know what to avoid, not just what to do. “On the knot, not on the toggle” is not crystal clear enough IMHO. I would do it, but I’d rather a more experienced feller do the pics here.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I think it would be helpful to have someone take a few CLOSE pictures of all the possible WRONG ways to do it as well. That way people new to the technique can better understand. Since the wrong ways look so similar to the correct way to a layman, it helps to know what to avoid, not just what to do. “On the knot, not on the toggle” is not crystal clear enough IMHO. I would do it, but I’d rather a more experienced feller do the pics here.
    OK!

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast