Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    The Enlightened Equipment Enigma Hammock Edition in 7D fabric inner and outer using 950 fill power down sized exactly to what you need and no more will probably be the smallest in pack volume that is out there. If you’re average sized. Say, 150 lbs 5’11” like me, then 72” long by 50” wide is a great size to get for hammock dwelling. You need a fair bit more width and a smidge more length if you take it to ground.

The point is that 950 down packs smaller and so does 7d and 10d shells. Overstuffing is going to increase packed size obviously. What you could do is shop the different options you have in mind and note the amount of down used by looking at the specs sheet. Different designs may use less down for the same rating. That will play a big role in size too.

Images
    I also run a 30L pack in summer. I have had no issues with the Wilderness Logics summer series TQ my UQ is a Hammock gear 3/4 40F

sorry I don't have a better picture of the quilts.

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    I just came back from my overnight. I’m a smaller person who barley makes it to 5’3” on my tip toes, so I’m lucky that my gear is small, too, and that helps it fit in the small pack. I think for certain weeks of July and August, I can do just fine with the 30l pack. Still want a top quilt, more than a new pack, but they are both on the long list for the future. I like the advise of customizing to my size, didn’t think of that possibility, but Dutch did it for my hammock, so it wouldn’t hurt to get that ball rolling with another cottage vendor. Thanks guys!

EE Enigma sizing guide. EE Sizing Guide 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have a 40 degree HG topquilt in shorter length. I has 1 extra ounce of down. I ordered it with Argon 67 for inner and outer shells. I packs up pretty small. I often pack both my 3-season Yeti and the HG TQ in the same medium Z-packs roll-top bag. I have done a dry & fair weather trip with these 2 quilts and all my other gear all packed into a 20 liter pack (not easy, but it can be done for some trips). I rarely use anything but a 45 liter pack, even for cold weather trips using 20 degree quilts.

In my experience with insulated gear, packable size is almost entirely based on the insulation used. With todays ultralight textiles, I think the packable size between fabrics is fairly negligible. In other words, if you go with the highest fillpower down you can find, which I believe is either EE's 950, or PHD's 1000, then you'll be getting the smallest packable item currently available.

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    I have a 40 degree HG topquilt in shorter length. I has 1 extra ounce of down. I ordered it with Argon 67 for inner and outer shells. I packs up pretty small. I often pack both my 3-season Yeti and the HG TQ in the same medium Z-packs roll-top bag. I have done a dry & fair weather trip with these 2 quilts and all my other gear all packed into a 20 liter pack (not easy, but it can be done for some trips). I rarely use anything but a 45 liter pack, even for cold weather trips using 20 degree quilts.
    Country Roads, I'd love to pack a pack with you. I was able to figure out a way to get all my gear and two and a half days worth of food in the 30L. I scrutinized everything, made sure everything could serve more than one purpose, I don't have a scale, so it wasn't about ounces, as much as was it really necessary to bring. And then I just packed and repacked until I figured it out. Mind sharing your method?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drtolo View Post
    In my experience with insulated gear, packable size is almost entirely based on the insulation used. With todays ultralight textiles, I think the packable size between fabrics is fairly negligible. In other words, if you go with the highest fillpower down you can find, which I believe is either EE's 950, or PHD's 1000, then you'll be getting the smallest packable item currently available.
    Sorry to disagree, but this is not my experience, and I got a real-life object lesson about it a few years ago.

I have an EE Prodigy (now called Revelation Apex), 40deg rating, reg/reg, with 10D shell. Love it... 17.7 oz and packs pretty small for a synthetic, although I never put it in a compression sack or any stuff sack, for that matter. I use a larger pack (Zpacks Arc Blast, old style) and just shove it in the bottom of the pack and let items above compress it. A few years ago I saw one that was almost identical for sale at BPL gearswap and snapped it up for my nephew.

'Almost identical' meant specs were otherwise the same (40deg, Apex, reg/reg size) except the shell, which was 20D inside and out. This thing weighed close to 23 oz and took up a LOT more space than my Prodigy. I ended up selling it (not taking much of a loss on it, thankfully) to someone not so concerned about weight and volume.

Now I realize that 'fairly negligible' is a subjective and debatable term. However, in a UL context, volume and weight differences such as these are deal breakers for serious gram weenies.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 08-02-2018 at 08:01.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I'm experimenting with an unmodified Costco down throw. It works really well down to the high 50s and compresses to practically nothing loose in the bottom of the pack. I'm experimenting with using it with a Sea to Summit bag liner (8 oz, about the size of half a nalgene), but can't report back yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
    I'm experimenting with an unmodified Costco down throw. It works really well down to the high 50s and compresses to practically nothing loose in the bottom of the pack. I'm experimenting with using it with a Sea to Summit bag liner (8 oz, about the size of half a nalgene), but can't report back yet.
    Porcupine, I've been using this setup whenever it's above 50 in place of my TQ. Love it.

Quick tip, I gave mine a proper wash with down cleaner & it nearly doubled it's loft, I think one of their ways of cutting costs in production probably involves skipping some of the wash or rinse steps

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast