Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Minfly

Hey from the Show Me State... That's Missouri

Hello...

Been lurking around here for a bit. I've been hanging for about two years, and got my wife into it about a year ago. She loves it. We're up in StL, the City not the County, but spend a lot of time playing outside down in the Ozark hills. Hence the name.

I do more canoe camping than backpacking, but I'm digging the hammock so much that is going to change some. It seems there aren't too many nice places to hang on the Ozark streams. The Current and Jacks Fork Rivers at least, the Eleven Point River not so much.

My set up:

Hammocks: Simply Light Designs 11' Trail Lair, and Hammock Bliss Sky Bed Bug Free

Tarps: Simply Light Designs Asym Simplicity Tarp, one regular and one extra wide and long; DD 3m x 3m; and Nemo Bugout Shelter 9x9 (it works great canoe and car camping)

UQ: HG 20 degree full length, and HG 40 degree 3/4 length

TQ: So far I've been unzipping my bags and using them like a quilt. So far so good.

Suspension: Tried the whoopie slings first, then went to cinch buckles. The weight difference is not worth the fiddle factor for me. I'll probably get some lighter straps and titanium buckles some time soon.

If there's ever a Missouri hang, or one that's somewhere close, count me as a definite probably.

Ciao,
    Ozark
    Last edited by Ozark; 07-20-2018 at 13:52.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Welcome to the forums! I love the Ozarks region. Me and a few buddies have a trip planned to backpack the North Fork section of the Ozark Trail this Fall. We've done all of our trips in northern Arkansas up to this point. It'll be nice to do a MO hike!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Welcome from a fellow Missourian.

With you being in the eastern part of the state, I know there are a few more groups hangs in your area than many other parts of the state. I'd keep an eye out here on the forums for those.

I'm not much of a backpacker either, but really enjoy my kayaking/canoe floats. Hit the upper Jacks Fork in the early spring, when it's floatable and not flooded or dry, and it remains one of my favorite floats. We're there at least every other year.
    It's been many years since I've floated the Eleven, so my memory is quite vague of the river....but you suggest that it isn't a good river to hang on? Our group has talked about it the last couple of years as a potential backup float when the other rivers aren't suitable to float.
    I'm a bit closer, being located in central Missouri, but we also head down to the upper Buffalo River in Arkansas, and it's an amazing place as well. The lower sections are a little more tame, but still enjoyable in the later months and some floatable even the the fall. I ended up missing our spring float this year with the flu, but my group went on Kings River and had a good time.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Minfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    Welcome from a fellow Missourian.

With you being in the eastern part of the state, I know there are a few more groups hangs in your area than many other parts of the state. I'd keep an eye out here on the forums for those.

I'm not much of a backpacker either, but really enjoy my kayaking/canoe floats. Hit the upper Jacks Fork in the early spring, when it's floatable and not flooded or dry, and it remains one of my favorite floats. We're there at least every other year.
    It's been many years since I've floated the Eleven, so my memory is quite vague of the river....but you suggest that it isn't a good river to hang on? Our group has talked about it the last couple of years as a potential backup float when the other rivers aren't suitable to float.
    I'm a bit closer, being located in central Missouri, but we also head down to the upper Buffalo River in Arkansas, and it's an amazing place as well. The lower sections are a little more tame, but still enjoyable in the later months and some floatable even the the fall. I ended up missing our spring float this year with the flu, but my group went on Kings River and had a good time.

Again, welcome to the forums!
    Thanks for the welcome. I have yet to get on the upper Jacks. The Eleven Point does have nice places to hang, the Current and the Jacks fork really haven't in my experience. I love the Eleven Point. Best river in MO in my opinion.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Minfly
    Thanks for the welcome. North Fork of the White is beautiful. I hope you have same trail time near it.

Best,
    Ozark

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I have yet to get on the upper Jacks. The Eleven Point does have nice places to hang, the Current and the Jacks fork really haven't in my experience. I love the Eleven Point. Best river in MO in my opinion.
    Gotcha. I misread your post a little.
    The upper Jack's is much different river. We rarely, if ever anymore go and further down than bay creek. The river starts to slow and widen as you get close to Bay Creekn which is where we usually take out. It's much more scenic and fun on the upper and you can stop and hang just about anywhere the beautiful rock bluffs aren't towering the sides.
    I'll definitely keep the Eleven as having more potential in my mind knowing there are spots to hang.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas! I do a lot of trips along the Ozark Highland Trail, and the Sylamore National Forest! You should be able to find some Missouri hangs for sure! Enjoy the journey!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Hello from Arklahoma! I know first hand you have some nice trails not far from St. Louis, but a few hours drive south you can float/hike the Buffalo River area and the OHT. The Mulberry River intersects the OHT, plenty of float/hike opportunities there too.

Nice hammock kit BTW!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    Welcome! Not yet been to the Ozarks but want to get a trip in to them sometime.

• + New Posts