Hammock
    DH Sparrow #3008
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    WL 20* Full UQ
    Suspension
    DW 8' Tree Huggers

Question Need advice picking new winter tarp (DCF with doors - HG or ZPacks)

I am looking at upgrading my tarp and before I drop over $300.00 for a new one, I would like to get some advice on the tarps I am considering purchasing.

First of all, let me say that I am a lightweight backpacker (4-season, 16 pounds+ base weight for 7-day trip) and am looking to get my TPW below 15 pounds (even lighter if possible). I also like to do as much stealth camping as possible and I abide by the Leave No Trace principals which includes not being a blaring eye-sore to other wilderness campers. For instance my under quilt protector and my pack covers are both camo in color.

I currently have a OMS MacCat Standard tarp that weights 10.3 ounces. It is 125" x 84" made of 1.4 oz SilNylon. The issues I have with the current tarp is it is it gets heavy when wet, it sags---especially when wet, coverage from blowing wind/rain is minimal, gives very little privacy when changing clothes. Other than those issues, I have been very happy with this tarp.

I recently purchased a UGQ WinterDream 13' tarp for my wife for Christmas last year and I really like the coverage and the doors. What I don't like about her tarp is the weight of the tarp. It is way to heavy to take backpacking with me.

I have researched several tarps and have narrowed it down to the following two tarps (the cost is identical for these tarps, $315.00 dollars, so I am looking at the physical differences between the two):

1. Hammock Gear - Dyneema Fiber Standard Tarp with Doors 11' Green (7.28 oz)
    2. ZPacks - Dyneema Composite Fabric Hammock Tarp with Doors 11' Olive Drab (8.73 oz) no door tie-backs

It would appear from a weight standpoint that the ZPacks tarp is a bit heavier by an ounce and a half. I am assuming this is because the HG tarp has Catenary Cuts at the bottom and the ZPacks tarp is straight across at the bottom. It could also be due to what they use for tie-outs.

Can anyone that has the ZPacks tarp confirm the weight of the tarp?

The Hammock Gear also has a Camo color option for an additional $45.00 that brings the weight up to 8.33 ounces. Can anyone with the ZPacks tarp in Olive Drab give me their impressions on how well it blends in with the natural environment? Can someone with a HG tarp in Camo give me their thoughts on this color choice; would you choose it again?

I would also really appreciate seeing a closeup of the ridge line tie-outs and the corner tie-outs of each of these tarps.

Besides weight savings, is there any reason to go with catenary cuts on a DCF tarp?

Is there anything else I may be missing or not taking into consideration when choosing between these two tarps?

Has anyone had both of these tarps? What did you think of them and which do you prefer?
    I am a 28 year-old trapped in a 62 year-old body!

I would also really appreciate seeing a closeup of the ridge line tie-outs and the corner tie-outs of each of these tarps.

HG WP RL outside DSC00871.jpg
    HG WP RL inside DSC00872.jpg

HG WP door tie out, outside DSC00874.jpg
    HG WP door tie out, inside DSC00873.jpg

HG Hex RL outside DSC00876.jpg
    HG Hex RL inside DSC00875.jpg

Oh yea, definitely camo.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I have an 11' HG standard with doors and tie-backs. Can't complain, but I'd trade it for a palace in a heart beat. I prefer the extra bit of coverage during blowing rain, plus it could allow for some extra space between hammock and top of tarp. I'm only 5'4", still, having to duck-walk under the tarp really hurts my back.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #3008
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    WL 20* Full UQ
    Suspension
    DW 8' Tree Huggers
    Thank you for the photos. That really helps. Anyone have any photos of the ZPacks tarp?
    I am a 28 year-old trapped in a 62 year-old body!

I do not have anything by Zpacks.
    I hear rumors of quality issues with Zpacks.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you are looking for privacy the standard Cuben Fiber is nearly see through so you should consider going for the camo in this as well. Also if you do not go for the Palace the coverage on this tarp is what I consider minimal and not what I would take in the winter especially if it's windy.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I don't have any Zpacks hammock tarps, but I have a Duplex and a Hexamid tarp and can assure you that the weight listed is going to be within a couple of grams of what you receive. People who buy these things tend to be very keen on that.

Also, while DCF doesn't absorb water, it still retains more water than you might imagine thru simple surface tension. Even when they are vigorously shaken out they can still weigh around 40% more when wet. A member of White Blaze did a test with results that confirmed almost exactly what I had observed when weighing a wet Hyperlite Mtn Gear tarp. So it's still a good idea to hang them up to dry when you get a chance.

I have HG's 11' Hex and a 12' std with doors and both are superb. I find the std w/doors fine for winter and heavy rain, but I've read that many folks would prefer something with a bit more coverage for blowing rain and for serious winter weather.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-24-2018 at 17:35.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Also, while DCF doesn't absorb water, it still retains more water that you might imagine thru simple surface tension. Even when they are vigorously shaken out they can still weigh around 40% more when wet.
    That's good to know. I was also a little disappointed with my silpoly tarp holding on to water like a sponge. It may sound fussy, but I might start carrying a small piece of a shammy to dry it before taking down.

And regarding a winter tarp, I'm still kicking around ideas as well. It would be a fairly large setup during winter pulk trips; 12-13', poles, doors. It will get $$$. Basically the next step before a hot tent.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a Hammock Gear standard with doors in Cuben camo and love it for 3-season camping. It would probably suffice in winter 95% of the time, but when things go south in winter, they can go really far south. Wind & cold is an evil combination.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAD777; 07-25-2018 at 16:29.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have a HG standard. The sides are short given the tarp is only 8.5 feet wide and the cat cuts make it even shorter toward the center. I found the coverage lacking even when hanging the tarp practically ON the hammock ridge line. The Zpacks tarp may offer a bit better coverage being straight cut. It's a great tarp. I'm not knocking it, I just prefer more coverage since I prefer to camp in winter. Cold wind robbing the heat out of my quilts doesn't sound good to me. In a severe storm with side blowing rain, the standard may leave you a bit damp. I'd recommend an underquilt protector if storms are expected.
    All that said, I'd stick with HG. Zpacks makes good stuff and they stand by their products, But, HG knows hammocks and hammock camping. They are a part of our community and had a huge role in pioneering and building this hammock lifestyle we all love. I'm going to take this opportunity to show off my tarp. 0506180700.jpg

In case you are curious, it is absolutely worth it to invest in the Winter Palace. It's pricey, but oh my goodness it is awesome!! Here's a gratuitous pic of my "new to me" Palace, you know, for information purposes. 0721181858.jpg
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast