Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    Obviously some are going to come off, and there might even be some floating around in the factory, like sawdust. I think just shaking it out and a pass through will get any loose bits off. After that, it should be the minimal amount
    That was what bothered me the most. My original lines are over 4 years old and still shed. That's A TON of use in all kinds of weather conditions. 4 years of packing and repacking.

Here's another test with BRAND NEW cord from both Lawson (left) and Dutchware (right). I simply removed from package, pulled out 2', and "sawed" each tripod leg back and forth 10 times.

I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but months ago I also washed some line vigorously in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water. "Sawed" a 30lb dumbbell handle over and over, leaving a pile of glitter. I also quickly ran it thru a blowtorch thinking it would "fuse" the reflective bubbles. No luck at all.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    3M Scotchlite is the most reflective tracer material made. It's known worldwide as the best. It has 50,000 glass microspheres/beads per square inch. Its why four years later your lines are still very reflective. This not a flaw with the line, it's a by-product. What your seeing is essentially engineered sand. But its microscopic, perfectly round and perfectly clear. This is what makes it very reflective and why you can see it and realize it's even there. Because without a headlamp or a bright flashlight you could never find the "dust" or "piles" your talking about.. The reason you can't see the China knock off dust (The stuff Dutch and all the other vendors use) is because it's not reflective enough to see.... Those glass beads are not as small, not as round, and not as clear, which makes them not nearly as reflective. So Its still there. You just can't see it.

Edited to explain in more detail.
    Last edited by Mountainfitter; 10-26-2018 at 08:06.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    That was what bothered me the most. My original lines are over 4 years old and still shed. That's A TON of use in all kinds of weather conditions. 4 years of packing and repacking.

Here's another test with BRAND NEW cord from both Lawson (left) and Dutchware (right). I simply removed from package, pulled out 2', and "sawed" each tripod leg back and forth 10 times.

I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but months ago I also washed some line vigorously in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water. "Sawed" a 30lb dumbbell handle over and over, leaving a pile of glitter. I also quickly ran it thru a blowtorch thinking it would "fuse" the reflective bubbles. No luck at all.

So the Dutch offering doesn't shed? Is that Reflective Dutch Wire? I have come to love the stiffer cordage.. Reflective Z-Line is so easy to use with Dutch Tarp Worms. I understand the Dutch Wire is the same stuff..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    So the Dutch offering doesn't shed? Is that Reflective Dutch Wire?
    Yes it is brand new Dutchware reflevtive. I think I mentioned before it DOES shed, but much smaller pieces and harder to catch on camera. Sorry I should have restated that with the video post.

By this time I'm sure everyone is convinced I'm a crazy old OCD man living in the basement. But seriously I just like to get to the bottom of things.

Like Mountainfitter said, it's just a byproduct of putting this stuff in with cord. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the product, it's just not something I want to continue to use since I set up in my basement often to dry tarps. After running a vacuum at least 6 times and going over with a dry Swiffer, it's finally 90% gone. Grippy stuff!

It's obviously being overlooked out in the woods. If you're setting up over carpet or outside to dry back at home, you'll miss it as well. No big deal. I'm guessing most people don't have brown concrete floor.

For me, all I want my tie out line to do is just reflect enough so I don't trip over them when I'm stumbling around at night. I've got a variety of line from SLD, Dutch and Lawson and have been more that satisfied with how they have performed over the years. Right now my hot tent is using that light brown Lawson glowire that I picked up on closeout a while back. Good stuff!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    For me, all I want my tie out line to do is just reflect enough so I don't trip over them when I'm stumbling around at night.
    I want it to make me a nice cup of coffee in the morning and tuck me in at night.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    OK I finally found my replacement. Zpacks 2.0mm Z-Line Cord. 1000% perfect! Wish I would have tried it earlier. Basically all the same great qualities with out the pixie dust explosion.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    OK I finally found my replacement. Zpacks 2.0mm Z-Line Cord. 1000% perfect! Wish I would have tried it earlier. Basically all the same great qualities with out the pixie dust explosion.
    ...that you can see, no?
    I mean there are still micro beads out there.

If they are actual glass beads vs plastic beads, I would be less concerned about the environment taking a hit what with all the micro plastic in the ocean, fish, food supply, us, etc. .

Now that you have 47 types of reflective cord, how about a double strand of each strung to a weight, say about
    30 lbs, lights out, flash camera and or/flashlight pic? I say 2 strands per brand just because angle is important for some of the stuff.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    ...that you can see, no?
    I mean there are still micro beads out there.
    No, the zpacks I purchased is Non-reflective. Check their cordage page, first product. I already received it and I really like it. It's Dyneema with a polyester sheath.

BTW, I was on a 3-day trip last week and I took my Mamajamba which hasn't been used in a while. While sitting by the fire, I turned around to look at my setup...BOOM! Still reflective stuff all over the tarp inside and out. Stuck in the mesh tarp sleeve. I even saw some on the leaves on the ground. Shake shake shake! It has to go away eventually.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    No, the zpacks I purchased is Non-reflective. Check their cordage page, first product. I already received it and I really like it. It's Dyneema with a polyester sheath.

BTW, I was on a 3-day trip last week and I took my Mamajamba which hasn't been used in a while. While sitting by the fire, I turned around to look at my setup...BOOM! Still reflective stuff all over the tarp inside and out. Stuck in the mesh tarp sleeve. I even saw some on the leaves on the ground. Shake shake shake! It has to go away eventually.
    Did drop by the cordage page before posting but was looking at the reflective product below the one you mentioned, the Z-Line Reflective.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml

Still don’t think I’ve seen a comprehensive comparative post of reflective cords in one thread. A few threads with a couple but no threads with 8 options or so. Will have to poke around.

Really like Dutch’s stuff for fewer tangles, was the first I was able to check out first hand of the hi-vis (not reflective) stiffer cords. Also like his reflective shockcord, though I have limited applications for it.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast