Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just can't see where a nice smooth pole is going to cause any perceptible wear on a tarp, either internal or external. The potential leak problem pointed out by Country Roads is certainly worth paying attention to.

Results: No leaks! I used the outside pole mod last week for 6 nights. 5 out of the 6 nights we had heavy rain. I added the door kit on one end because the foot end of the hammock was 'into the wind' due to tree configuration. Several of these storms were frog chokers and several dogs and cats fell out of the sky at numerous times. Didn't get wet at all. The old underquilt protector worked out well as well.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I've been using a stick as my pole mod, resting right on top of my warbonnet tarp for over a year with no leaks or any kind of abrasion damage. I did seem seal the inside of the ridge seem with silicone though.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    I've been using a stick as my pole mod, resting right on top of my warbonnet tarp for over a year with no leaks or any kind of abrasion damage. I did seem seal the inside of the ridge seem with silicone though.
    If a stick is working out, then I'd have no worries about the actual tent pole kit they sell. I only use mine in the winter, maybe 8 nights so far. It's just smooth on smooth, no worries at all. I like how it flattens out the "roof" anyway, but not so much that snow will accumulate. A real nice setup for $15 (I got the early bird deal)

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    +1 on the trekking poles. This is how I do it. Saw it on YouTube a while back. The prusiks allow me to adjust the tension placed on the tarp and poles. Haven't had an issue with the pole resting on the ridgeline.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I've been using .344 tent poles on my tarps pretty heavily this year and have had no problems with wear and tear. All my tarps have grosgrain ridges. I'll have to try the trekking poles, though - looks like a good idea!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When I bought my Superfly a year or so ago, Dutch came out with his .275 Tarp Pole Mods that I love. They are lightweight and I have had no issues at all with leaks. I use 2 Stingerz (no CRL) so they are resting on the tarp and I have been through some very heavy rains.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12