Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

HG Overstuff?

So ive read a bunch on ordering overstuff to your HG underquilt and it seams that it isnt exactly giving that much more warmth... Its more for keeping the down from moving. Am I correct? What is the purpose of UQ overstuff? Arent the HG underquilts fine the way they are?

Images
    It's for psychological comfort, when physical comfort isn't enough for you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I bought my first 20* HG UQ & TQ with 2 oz. overstuff. I sold them, and now have HG 0*, 20* and 40* quilts with no overstuff.

I personally think it's just one of things that sounds so logical - if 20* quilts are good, then 20* quilts with 2 oz. overstuff have to be better, right? Some people will take it to extremes, like getting a -10* F set of quilts with 4 oz. of overstuff, and they live in Florida!

Some folks think that the quilts they're ordering are the only quilts they'll ever need, so they go with overstuff. I really thought the HG 20* quilts would be the last quilts I would ever buy, but I'm a backpacker and would rather carry just the insulation I need, rather than twice what I need. Too heavy!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Iv had one quilt that was stuffed at the recommended minimum down. Its light and packs to nothing. Lofts fine but takes time, often an hour or 2. And I need to distribute the down each time I hang.... extra fuss but it's my warm weather, ultralite setup.

That said, my econ burrow uq has 1 extra ounce but I dont think it needed it to be fuss free.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    Iv had one quilt that was stuffed at the recommended minimum down. Its light and packs to nothing. Lofts fine but takes time, often an hour or 2. And I need to distribute the down each time I hang.... extra fuss but it's my warm weather, ultralite setup.

That said, my econ burrow uq has 1 extra ounce but I dont think it needed it to be fuss free.
    So your'e aaying that getting overstuff will minimize fuss / set-up / loft time? Im not too concerned about weight, ease of setup is priority.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    So ive read a bunch on ordering overstuff to your HG underquilt and it seams that it isnt exactly giving that much more warmth... Its more for keeping the down from moving. Am I correct? What is the purpose of UQ overstuff? Arent the HG underquilts fine the way they are?
    FWIW, I think they are fine without any overstuff.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I bought my first 20* HG UQ & TQ with 2 oz. overstuff. I sold them, and now have HG 0*, 20* and 40* quilts with no overstuff.

I personally think it's just one of things that sounds so logical - if 20* quilts are good, then 20* quilts with 2 oz. overstuff have to be better, right? Some people will take it to extremes, like getting a -10* F set of quilts with 4 oz. of overstuff, and they live in Florida!

Some folks think that the quilts they're ordering are the only quilts they'll ever need, so they go with overstuff. I really thought the HG 20* quilts would be the last quilts I would ever buy, but I'm a backpacker and would rather carry just the insulation I need, rather than twice what I need. Too heavy!
    Thanks for your'e insight. So would you say that getting overstuff will minimize fuss / set-up / loft time? Im not too concerned about weight, ease of setup is priority.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    Thanks for your'e insight. So would you say that getting overstuff will minimize fuss / set-up / loft time? Im not too concerned about weight, ease of setup is priority.
    I don't know why overstuff would minimize fuss, set-up or loft time. If anything, loft time would probably increase.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Shug talks about "migrating the down" in one of his videos. I feel like having an extra oz is worth it, making this less necessary/easier if the down does get moved around too much. For $8, I don't think it hurts and likely helps even if just a little. I'm not gonna add it afterwards. I think it helps on those damp days when the down seems less fluffy. May also combat wear and tear...even if that does take years to matter.

No overfill on my UQ. 1 oz overfill on my TQ. Both HG. I have never wished that I had overfill in my UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast