Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing

Pretty Hollow Gap Bear Encounter

Spent this past weekend in the Smokies climbing Mt. Sterling and then hiking down via Pretty Hollow Gap and camping on the river. Around 3pm one afternoon we had a visitor. This fella hung around until we left camp the following morning. The bear wasn't aggressive but he was persistent. Every time we chased him away, he would come back a short time later. Always just on the edge of camp. I have seen many bears in the backcountry through the years but they typically run off so quickly it is hard to get a photo. Didn't have that problem with this guy. Also added a bear print photo from another trip two weeks before. Enjoy!

fullsizeoutput_1ebc.jpeg

IMG_3830.jpg

GOPR0275.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNWoodsman View Post
    Spent this past weekend in the Smokies climbing Mt. Sterling and then hiking down via Pretty Hollow Gap and camping on the river. Around 3pm one afternoon we had a visitor. This fella hung around until we left camp the following morning. The bear wasn't aggressive but he was persistent. Every time we chased him away, he would come back a short time later. Always just on the edge of camp. I have seen many bears in the backcountry through the years but they typically run off so quickly it is hard to get a photo. Didn't have that problem with this guy. Also added a bear print photo from another trip two weeks before. Enjoy!

fullsizeoutput_1ebc.jpeg

IMG_3830.jpg

GOPR0275.jpg
    I am not familiar with too many bear encounters here but I believe you should report this to a ranger as I have never heard of a bear that wouldn't scare from camp- is this typical? I wonder if this bear is habituated since you couldn't scare it off. Might let a ranger know??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    I am not familiar with too many bear encounters here but I believe you should report this to a ranger as I have never heard of a bear that wouldn't scare from camp- is this typical? I wonder if this bear is habituated since you couldn't scare it off. Might let a ranger know??
    No, not typical. Given the bear's behavior, it is likely he'd been fed. He behaved very similar to a stray dog that will get close enough to you for a toss of food but will run if you approach. By happenstance, we met a backcountry ranger near our trailhead and he hiked and camped with us for the better part of the trip. He was with us when the bear arrived and called it in to his dispatch immediately. They closed the backcountry site the following day in the hopes the bear will re-acclimate and move on. Handsome bear and I hope he moves on. I'm sure the rangers will do everything they can even if it means relocating him. Good reminder that a "Fed bear equals dead a bear."

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I love seeing wildlife, including venomous snakes and bears, but I don't know if I could get comfortable knowing there was a bear just "hanging around" my hammock hang!

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    I've never had a bear hang around and want to pull up a chair by the fire.... and I am thankful for that. Don't know how much sleep I would get knowing that he was out there on the perimeter of camp.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Given the river noise and rain on tarp, I couldn’t hear a thing all night. Wasn’t too uncomfortable haha!

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    We saw one on deep creek trail about ten days ago. A friend had pics
    of one he saw on Rabun gap the same weekend. Didn't act like the one
    you saw.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Time for the bear helmet when snoozing~~~
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I hike and camp alone, and this is the reason I've started carrying bear spray,. It's 8 oz of insurance. Although the chances of this happening to me are astronomical against, with my luck....

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    I hike and camp alone, and this is the reason I've started carrying bear spray,. It's 8 oz of insurance. Although the chances of this happening to me are astronomical against, with my luck....
    Can’t argue with that. We were a party of 7. The ranger we met spends 5 day stretches at a time in the backcountry armed with 9mm sidearm, 3 mags, a small can of mace, and a sizeable knife strapped to his pack. He related that he is very often camping solo and almost always patroling (hiking) alone. Funny thing is, he carries all of this for humans not bears.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast