11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by TNWoodsman View Post
    Can’t argue with that. We were a party of 7. The ranger we met spends 5 day stretches at a time in the backcountry armed with 9mm sidearm, 3 mags, a small can of mace, and a sizeable knife strapped to his pack. He related that he is very often camping solo and almost always patroling (hiking) alone. Funny thing is, he carries all of this for humans not bears.
    I can't help but wonder what kind of people the Ranger is encountering in the park that he needs that sort of hardware.Anybody know?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I can't help but wonder what kind of people the Ranger is encountering in the park that he needs that sort of hardware.Anybody know?
    Just guessing, but the rangers have to deal with poachers, and folks who may be growing crops of illegal substances or brewing/mixing various illegal concoctions. SO you have people who are already breaking the law, and who are already carrying loaded firearms, and who possibly might be under the influence of various chemicals in some cases. Not a good combination of ingredients.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Just guessing, but the rangers have to deal with poachers, and folks who may be growing crops of illegal substances or brewing/mixing various illegal concoctions. SO you have people who are already breaking the law, and who are already carrying loaded firearms, and who possibly might be under the influence of various chemicals in some cases. Not a good combination of ingredients.
    Correct. Poaching ginseng and other valuable plants and roots. Bear poaching for meat and valuable internal organs like the gall bladder used in "medicines and remedies." They also patrol front country campgrounds as well as park roads.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Well,if they're poaching bears in the park,you would think the bears would be less habituated like the one that prompted this thread.I have seen documentaries about it before so I know it does go on though.I wonder what the fine would be if a hiker decided to abandon his permitted campsite for the night and go to another because of "wildlife activity"?Yeah,I'd pay it!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    HEY ... don't I recognize one of those photos?!!! LOL

Also, slept like a baby in my hammock, snoring like a baby kitten, or so I've heard it described. LOL
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    HEY ... don't I recognize one of those photos?!!! LOL

Also, slept like a baby in my hammock, snoring like a baby kitten, or so I've heard it described. LOL
    sabre tooth kitten maybe :^)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    I've never got a photo of a bear in the Smokies, they always run away too fast Sounds like an interesting experience, thanks for sharing

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Looks like a few of my neighbors/friends.

Backcountry camps there, near Mt Sterling, get closed often. We live just a bit from where you were camped. I can see a part the park from my yard. We have bears in the yard often. Neighbors see them more often than we do. We see the huge piles of scat and know they have been around. We hear the dogs bark.
    There are a lot of bears in GSMNP. The elk come around, too.
    I hear noises often, but usually do not see them. I saw one yesterday afternoon out my loft window. An adolescent. It was between the cabin and the creek, the creek about 20 ft away. I went downstairs and it ran, fast, as I opened the door.
    Early spring we had a mother and 3 cubs come up the driveway and go up the hill above us. The camera caught them later in the back.
    This one was a couple of months ago. That is an 8 ft door.
    Bear.jpg
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Looks like a few of my neighbors/friends.

Backcountry camps there, near Mt Sterling, get closed often. We live just a bit from where you were camped. I can see a part the park from my yard. We have bears in the yard often. Neighbors see them more often than we do. We see the huge piles of scat and know they have been around. We hear the dogs bark.
    There are a lot of bears in GSMNP. The elk come around, too.
    I hear noises often, but usually do not see them. I saw one yesterday afternoon out my loft window. An adolescent. It was between the cabin and the creek, the creek about 20 ft away. I went downstairs and it ran, fast, as I opened the door.
    Early spring we had a mother and 3 cubs come up the driveway and go up the hill above us. The camera caught them later in the back.
    This one was a couple of months ago. That is an 8 ft door.
    Bear.jpg
    I’ve recently considered a motion activated night camera/game camera to see what comes through camp at night in the Smokies. I’d bet more bears come through without waking anyone than you’d expect. Maybe it’s better not knowing...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast