Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    I don't think the far pole will fit inside the the bike frame. Then again it collapses to 20" long by 1.375" diameter, so stowing shouldn't be an issue. As for locking the bike wheels: I don't think it is needed, especially if there are 2 guylines on the bike side. I saw no tendency for the bike to roll at all.
    it depends on the bike, a lot of bikes now, even road bikes, are being built with larger tube sizes. I just saw a bike recently on GMBN designed with sealable access to the top tube as well as the handlebar ends for storage (it had flat bars though, not drops)

it's easy enough to lock the wheels, especially for Dutch... could do it with a small strap or even amsteel. in your photo, the whole front end of the bike can rotate, but if you wrap a cord or strap around both wheel and frame, now the front wheel can't roll, and the handle bars/wheel can't turn.

besides, there's times you need to lock them anyway. want to lean it against a tree? good luck! the front wheel keeps turning and rolls away from the tree... but not if you lock it like this.

if i want to lock it straight, but need the wheel to spin (usually if adjusting brakes or shifting while on the road and without a work stand, or even just when cleaning the rim) I use an adjustable length bunjee from seat post around both sides of the frame to hook on rearmost corners of my front racks.

on a side note, something else Dutch can possibly make that I haven't found anywhere, is a cable lock set: three small cable locks, one to lock each wheel to the frame and one to lock the saddle to the frame (I've seen a ton of bikes that are missing saddles but are securely locked to bike racks), then a longer one to lock the bike to something else. I currently carry one long cable lock (same size cable as they use for laptop cable locks) 12ft I think. what i have is excessive in one sense, and not enough in another sense... it's not enough after I wind it back and forth through the wheels, frame, saddle, etc to reach around a large tree trunk. but with the small ones to lock that all down and a dedicated cable for a tree, I could get away with much less cable, and therefore be saving weight.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC - HD/DL
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3.5m
    Insulation
    Cumulus T+U quilt
    Suspension
    Tensa4 - webbing
    Hi Dutch,
    I'm dutch and I just returned from an 18 day 4000 km solo motorcycle roadtrip from Rotterdam, NL to the French-Italian Alps and French Mediterranean. I slept in my Warbonnet Blackbird every single night and had many siestas on reststops along the way.

I hammocked from 2 trees most nights and found hanging alternatives for the other nights. I think I will order a tensa4 for my next trip, but take only one side. (Tensa2?)
    You can always find a lone tree, lamp post, porch or cabin to hang the other side of your hammock from.

I built my own single sided tensahedron for 3 nights in the French Dordogne with 2 chestnut fenceposts and 10 meters of 3mm dynema:
    tensa2 dordogne.jpg

And my matilda and me slept like a kitten during a thunderstorm at the foot of the Mont Blanc:
    MonteBianco.jpg

I will post my road trip soon.

Harm (aka virtualbotanist)
    www.instagram.com/virtualbotany
    Last edited by Virtualbotanist; 07-21-2019 at 08:55.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    My 7000 mile cross country bike trip in 2010 was before I got into hammocks, I carried a Kelty Crestone 1 bivy. Last month I rode across Georgia and hammocked the entire way with no problem. My trip across Iowa last year I carried both tent and hammock and I'm glad I did. I only got to use the hammock twice but it was an organized ride so I was somewhat restricted on where I could camp. With a little planning and creativity I don't see why a hammock wouldn't work. The midwest farm lands may pose a bit of a challenge but like I said, you just have to be creative. Some places to consider are churches and fire stations as well as a lot of small town city parks. You would be amazed how generous most of the small town folks are in allowing you to camp our for a night.

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbotanist View Post
    Hi Dutch,
    I'm dutch and I just returned from an 18 day 4000 km solo motorcycle roadtrip from Rotterdam, NL to the French-Italian Alps and French Mediterranean. I slept in my Warbonnet Blackbird every single night and had many siestas on reststops along the way.

I hammocked from 2 trees most nights and found hanging alternatives for the other nights. I think I will order a tensa4 for my next trip, but take only one side. (Tensa2?)
    You can always find a lone tree, lamp post, porch or cabin to hang the other side of your hammock from.

I built my own single sided tensahedron for 3 nights in the French Dordogne with 2 chestnut fenceposts and 10 meters of 3mm dynema:
    tensa2 dordogne.jpg

And my matilda and me slept like a kitten during a thunderstorm at the foot of the Mont Blanc:
    MonteBianco.jpg

Excellent! Love that first pick especially. Look forward to your trip report.

This sounds pretty epic, maybe one day for me but with a motorcycle from the FL Keys to Alaska.

i've used hammocks for bicycle touring almost exclusively since about 2003. I've never not been able to find a spot for it, though so far all my trips have been either east of the Mississippi or west of the rockies.
    In any event, I'd probably just bring a pad of some sort (like a thermarest xlite) and ground pitch my tarp. the extra weight on the bike of a pad (12 ounces for the regular length xlite) and a few poles (which i assume you already have) it'd be worth it to be covered in those scenarios where you have no where to hang.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbotanist View Post
    Hi Dutch,

tensa2 dordogne.jpg

MonteBianco.jpg

Thank you for the ideas, I am a Noob for hammocks and Have Hanging Fear Issues on trips. I plan to sell My Motorcycle trailer to pay for a Tensa4. But I will loose the ability to carry My KampRite Cot tent. Going back and forth on the issues. Weight is not such a big issue with a large Cruiser.

Bikes hammocks and fishing , these are a few of my favorite things? Bivy it a few nights and hang the rest of the way .you would be on the ground anyway but after the south west it's hanging time .what bike are you going to ride ? It seems riding and hammocking should go hand in hand

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
    Thank you for the ideas, I am a Noob for hammocks and Have Hanging Fear Issues on trips. I plan to sell My Motorcycle trailer to pay for a Tensa4. But I will loose the ability to carry My KampRite Cot tent. Going back and forth on the issues. Weight is not such a big issue with a large Cruiser.
    There is also the Tenso Solo though it takes more staking out.
    https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...-carcamp-tele/

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
    I use a Tensa stand with my touring bike all spring summer and fall. It fits fit right next to my Tenkara rods :-)

I’ve camped in Big Bend, White Sands and throughout many other Southwestern desert locations with the Tensa stand and initially a GE hammock and finally my Amok Draumr (preferred).

Motorcycle trailers are really nice, no doubt about that. But the Tensa 4 will give you the ability to go places that a trailer will not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast