Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    There is a northern route through Montana and North Dakota as well, starting in Washington. I think it might end in Boston(?) Of course parts of northern Montana and North Dakota aren't famous for their trees...
    More correctly, the eastern 2/3s of Montana are plains, but there are still a lot of trees in the riparian areas.

After I retired I rode from the coast of Oregon (since the last few years were in east-central Oregon) to our home in Montana along the TA. I've done several tours previously too. One thing to consider is that many camping opportunities or choices (food, water, and adventure) are associated with towns and cities along the way. It is simply wonderful how the folks along the TA appreciate the business bikers bring. We ride in HUNGRY, THIRSTY, HOT, and TIRED. Oh, and SORE. Many have the wherewithal to attend to the aforementioned conditions, and thus most are happy to see us and help out. Plus, not many of us have much rowdy left after a day cranking. Many small towns freely allow camping in the city parks and rodeo grounds (a western thing) along the trail and they are great spots for camaraderie and collecting beta for what lies ahead. From a hammocking perspective, this can mean a couple of things. Many of the camping areas do not have the best hanging situations. i.e. sufficient trees located where they want you to camp. Plus, it is important to gauge how the local folks feel about potential impacts to the trees, real or not. I'm not saying it can't be done, but some food for thought from my experiences.
    20140628_134830_1.jpg

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have a Tensa stand and it does pack down small enough.
    I got into hammocks through bicycle touring. I didn't own a motor vehicle until last year, and that a motorbike: all bicycle, all the time. I own a bicycle shop. Search for a truly bicycle-friendly hammock stand is what directly led to development of the tensahedron / Tensa4 stand. That said, I prefer to pack light enough that I don't consider the Tensa4 ideally light or small for what you propose. I now use the Tensa4 for motorbike camping, where 11lbs is no issue.

If I were you, (and can I be you, or at least find a way to make the time to ride cross country before I can't?), I would bring a single or possibly 2 Tensa Solo struts. This is just 4 segments of a 7-segment Tensa4 pole, with a 5th as tarp extension. Probably a single, because being able to find one tree or upslope shrub/rock etc, or being able to use the bicycle itself as a support, is way more common than absolutely needing to pack support for both ends.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Dutch, you have the 2 Tensa Solos already. They are about 2# each with guylines (2 each side) and 2 large Orange Screws each side. The NoGround Trekking or the Handy Hammock (name is changed) might be a little lighter, but not much. The extra ounces of the Solos is more than compensated for by the simplicity of the Solo set up (no truss lines to rig). Definitely go with the large Orange Screws (you already have at least 2 of the 4 needed). Or as Latherdome suggests, just take one Solo at about 2# and you can almost always find one natural support.

The only advantage the NoGround Trekking has over the Solo is they also work as Trekking poles - a feature not needed on a bicycle trip.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    www.warmshowers.org might be helpful as well.

I’m assuming you mean cycling?

I’m unsure how the whole weight game goes when transitioning from walking to peddling; would the extra 3 pounds or so of a UL tent and pad be as big a deal in your panniers as it may be on your back?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I’m assuming you mean cycling?

I’m unsure how the whole weight game goes when transitioning from walking to peddling; would the extra 3 pounds or so of a UL tent and pad be as big a deal in your panniers as it may be on your back?
    Tent? Dutch in a TENT?

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Tent? Dutch in a TENT?
    Haha hey man whatever works

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Simplest, most compact, and lightest way to ENSURE no on the ground nights would be to pack: 4 large Orange Screws, 4 guylines (2 can be normal tree straps), 1 Tensa Solo pole, and a bridge hammock.

Reason for the bridge hammock is the bicycle seat post (under the seat) should be high enough for a bridge hammock. IDK if it is high enough for a gathered end one.

I'll try to video or take pictures of such a set-up. About 2# extra for NO ground nights. I think the trade off is worth it.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    hey maybe this will inspire you to add a lot more cycling products to the business

like making a cycling specific version of those shorts... I use them for it, but there are some design anomalies that don't come up when your just walking around waiting for your laundry to dry. Give them a try, you'll see what I mean.. butide from the fit, they're amazing for cycling... super light, slippery on the saddle, but stick to your skin (which is good, if the fit and range of motion was better) I haven't ridden with them on for longer than an hour yet though.

also, frame and rack bags

to your question:

Join Warmshowers.org

also the OTHER forum that I belong to, Adventure Cycling Association... there's already a few names I see in both forums.

if you start designing a single track bike trailer, let me know, I'll fill you in on what I'd like to change about the BOB trailer that I have.

I've been wanting to do a CC ride as well, and I'm finally getting to a point where I might financially be able to... maybe next year or the year after.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast