Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Adirondack Wild Forest camping

Hi there,

My special lady and I will be heading north, through the Adirondacks with basically no plan, starting August 9th. We have stayed at Forked Lake and in the Moose River Plains before, but we're looking for some campsite recommendations in any of the other wild forests. Anyone have any spots that are there go to hammocking locations? I'm not averse to staying in DEC campgrounds, too, as we had planned to visit Meacham Lake at one point on this trip, to get really far north. We want cool nights! We want pine trees! We want bears and moose!

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Hi there,

My special lady and I will be heading north, through the Adirondacks with basically no plan, starting August 9th. We have stayed at Forked Lake and in the Moose River Plains before, but we're looking for some campsite recommendations in any of the other wild forests. Anyone have any spots that are there go to hammocking locations? I'm not averse to staying in DEC campgrounds, too, as we had planned to visit Meacham Lake at one point on this trip, to get really far north. We want cool nights! We want pine trees! We want bears and moose!
    Schroon Lake off I-87 to the west of Lake George has a DEC campground. I hear Schroon Lake is as nice as Lake George, except way smaller/cozier (lots of airbnb rentals there too.) It is also near the Pharoah Lake Wilderness Area. Pleanty of trails, woods, bears, wilderness and lakes for you....nice and cool. I will be heading to Lake George myself staying at Rogers Rock campground near Hague NY this coming weekend. Looks like it may rain on me though. Enjoy the 'Dacks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Schroon Lake off I-87 to the west of Lake George has a DEC campground. I hear Schroon Lake is as nice as Lake George, except way smaller/cozier (lots of airbnb rentals there too.) It is also near the Pharoah Lake Wilderness Area. Pleanty of trails, woods, bears, wilderness and lakes for you....nice and cool. I will be heading to Lake George myself staying at Rogers Rock campground near Hague NY this coming weekend. Looks like it may rain on me though. Enjoy the 'Dacks!
    Yeah, I've looked at all of the maps , studied the virtual tours of the DEC campgrounds, etc. I guess I'm looking for specific sites that people have used that they know are good for two hammocks. Thanks for the reply and have a great time! I've been to Schroon Lake before, probably 20 years ago, and it was very nice!

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I camped Sunday night in campsite 1 on Lake Lila in the William C. Whitney Wilderness. Pretty spot just a half mile walk from the parking area I got one hammock in the site but it looked pretty sketchy for a second. There's room for a tent. There's another foot accessible site (5) about a mile and a half from the parking area but I didn't visit it. I believe all the other sites are paddle in. Very remote, nature sounds only all night save one small plane. Many stars.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Lake Lila is one of my favorite places, but I've always paddled in. There's a road that goes around the north side of the lake so you can reach some of the other campsites, even up to the boat ramp.

https://www.cnyhiking.com/WilliamWhitneyWilderness.htm
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    That spot looks great, thanks for sharing SS!

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Lake Lila is one of my favorite places, but I've always paddled in.
    Thanks for letting me know about this beautiful place.

There's a road that goes around the north side of the lake so you can reach some of the other campsites, even up to the boat ramp.
    https://www.cnyhiking.com/WilliamWhitneyWilderness.htm
    That road is closed to vehicle traffic (including bicycles) at the parking lot for Lake Lila put in. I don't know if there's still a boat ramp, some maps show it, but since you can't drive - it's kinda pointless. I really want to go back there with a boat.
    Last edited by GreatBigDave; 07-19-2018 at 09:47.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yeah - the road has always been closed to traffic, but it can't be more than a couple of miles to the boat ramp from the parking lot. Frankly, I don't remember ever seeing a boat ramp!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Thanks for letting me know about this beautiful place.

That road is closed to vehicle traffic (including bicycles) at the parking lot for Lake Lila put in. I don't know if there's still a boat ramp, some maps show it, but since you can't drive - it's kinda pointless. The buildings of Camp Bliss were supposed to be razed when the state took possession. I really want to go back there with a boat.
    Who wants to drive anyway?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    If you wanted to bring or rent a canoe you could also take a paddling trip from Long Lake going down the Raquette River. There are Lean-Toes and designated campsites all along the shore (first come first serve) and some really nice scenery. I'd suggest to portage and paddle up the Saranac Lakes all the way to the Village of Saranac Lake and do some Island camping along the way (check out camping on Lower Saranac, which would require a reservation though). Then shuttle back to your car, unless you have rented in Saranac Lake (I think that's where the boat rentals are anyway, so they would probably drop you off in Long Lake and then you paddle back to your car).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast