Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I still think Lake Lila is best enjoyed in a canoe. It's only 1/3 of a mile portage from the parking lot. You can rent a canoe at Raquette River Outfitters in Long Lake (they also have a location in Tupper Lake, but I've never rented from there). Actually, I think they'll deliver and pick up the canoe if for some reason you didn't want to pick it up.

https://raquetteriveroutfitters.com/

They'll strap the canoe or kayak right on your car, and show you how to tie it back up when you're done. It's probably a 45-minute drive from Long Lake to Lake Lila. Lake Lila is best visited during the week - the 22 campsites can get crowded on the weekend during season. Nevertheless, you don't have to camp in a campsite, but you're not allowed a fire except in campsites.

I've always been able to find a campsite (though it can take two or three hours to paddle around the entire lake checking them). My sons did not enjoy checking for campsites! It wore on their nerves.

My favorite campsites are Buck Island and Spruce Island - it's great to have an island to yourself. Snell Island is pretty nice too, but it's so close to the drop-in (maybe a mile) that it feels like cheating. Snell Island is also much smaller than Buck and Spruce, so there's not much room. And Snell Island is also pretty far from Frederica Mountain, which is a nice day-hike with excellent views of Lake Lila.

There's also Little Tupper Lake, which you'll pass on the way to Lake Lila. I've never camped there, though I often paddle through on the way to Rock Pond (much more secluded). Rock Pond is Adirondacks camping at its finest, and we've often stopped there before taking the 1.75 mile portage to Hardigan Pond and Little Salmon Lake (one or two campsites at both, first come first served). Back in 2014, my sons and a couple of friends paddled Little Tupper Lake to Lake Lila via Hardigan Pond, Little Salmon Lake, Lillypad Pond, Mud Pond, and Shingle Shanty Brook. It's about 22 miles and there are only five or six beaver dams one has to get over, but it's not a beginner paddle by any means (especially the 1.75 mile portage). Still, one of the best paddles I've had in the Adirondacks.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=lake+lila

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=lake+lila
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Wow, thanks to everyone who offered replies. I am going to check out the Whitney Wilderness. I don't think we want to do a canoe or anything this time, but we're definitely fine with hiking to sites. Kayaks are in our future though.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    I camped Sunday night in campsite 1 on Lake Lila in the William C. Whitney Wilderness. Pretty spot just a half mile walk from the parking area I got one hammock in the site but it looked pretty sketchy for a second. There's room for a tent. There's another foot accessible site (5) about a mile and a half from the parking area but I didn't visit it. I believe all the other sites are paddle in. Very remote, nature sounds only all night save one small plane. Many stars.
    The silence is one of my favorite things about the Adirondacks.

Senior Member Bennington.Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Straps/marlinspike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BoundryWaters View Post
    If you wanted to bring or rent a canoe you could also take a paddling trip from Long Lake going down the Raquette River. There are Lean-Toes and designated campsites all along the shore (first come first serve) and some really nice scenery. I'd suggest to portage and paddle up the Saranac Lakes all the way to the Village of Saranac Lake and do some Island camping along the way (check out camping on Lower Saranac, which would require a reservation though). Then shuttle back to your car, unless you have rented in Saranac Lake (I think that's where the boat rentals are anyway, so they would probably drop you off in Long Lake and then you paddle back to your car).
    http://goeast.ems.com/alpha-seven-carries-canoe-route/

Just found this jem.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hanging at DEC sites are hit and miss since you are within the confines of one site. If you are driving up without a reservation you may be able to drive through to check out hanging friendly sites if they aren't too booked. Maybe reserving two adjacent sites will give more possibilities.
    You can also see some campsite photos on this site. https://www.campadk.com/campsitephotos/selectcampground

Putnam Pond CG is nice and gives you access to hiking trails to Pharoah Lake Wilderness Area. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24492.html
    The ADK Mountain Club has a campground at the base of a few high peaks.

https://www.adk.org/stay/adirondak-loj-at-heart-lake/
    Last edited by electbc; 07-18-2018 at 23:47.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks to all for the suggestions! Going to check out as many places as possible.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I made a reservation for the first couple days of our expedition, Site 184 at Meacham Lake Campground. It looks very nice!

https://www.campadk.com/campsitephot...+Lake/site/184

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It does indeed look like a very hang-able site.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by electbc View Post
    It does indeed look like a very hang-able site.
    It definitely does. I can't wait. This Ohio humidity is killing me right now. I need piney woods and fresh(er) air.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Welcome to the Adirondacks! Let us know how that site worked for you and how the rest of your trip went.

With 6 million acres even those of us that live here can always learn about new sites and what works for hammocks!

Enjoy. Hopefully, you’ll get some loon song in the distance not sure if they land in Meacham. I haven’t seen them there. Floodwood Road in Lake Clear is good for lions. There are usually bald eagles at Meacham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast