Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I use an underquilt rather than a pad, but I put a space blanket in between my hammock layers (reflective side up), and I've noticed a *huge* difference in warmth. Also, I have not had an issue with condensation doing that, even when camping down to freezing. The first time I used space blanket I just draped it over me, and had condensation dripping on me by morning, but it's not an issue when it's underneath me between the double layers. So for me at least that's a reason to get double layers even if you don't end up using a pad (I assume you are trying to decide between double and single layer - if not, then disregard).
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 09-01-2018 at 10:54.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekitty View Post
    I use an underquilt rather than a pad, but I put a space blanket in between my hammock layers (reflective side up), and I've noticed a *huge* difference in warmth. .
    Interesting approach. I'm thinking this would be a weight savings when Temps are in between your warmer underquilt and cooler one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I used a Thermarest pad in between my XLC double layer and it shifted like crazy. I finally 'broke' after about 6 months and bought a HG 0* Econ underquilt.
    I will NEVER go back to a pad.
    My oldest daughter, who is ten, uses the pad in my first XLC and she does fine with it. Im guessing because of her size, moving doesnt shift the pad around very much.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekitty View Post
    I use an underquilt rather than a pad, but I put a space blanket in between my hammock layers (reflective side up), and I've noticed a *huge* difference in warmth. Also, I have not had an issue with condensation doing that, even when camping down to freezing. The first time I used space blanket I just draped it over me, and had condensation dripping on me by morning, but it's not an issue when it's underneath me between the double layers. So for me at least that's a reason to get double layers even if you don't end up using a pad (I assume you are trying to decide between double and single layer - if not, then disregard).
    A great idea to keep in mind in case temperatures plummet more than expected.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    How effective is a double layer hammock at keeping a pad from moving during the night? Is the difference really noticeable?
    Yes, it is noticeable, and by quite a bit.

I started with a pad, then a SPE, then a double layer and now quilts. For pure warmth to $ ratio it is hard to beat pads.

I never noticed any dampness that was unmanageable, but I live in a warm climate.

I even made specialty SPE of Wool and Fleece to combat dampness and slipperyness, they all worked well but not as good as a double layered hammock. The two are made for each other, in the case if the hammock, that is literal.

As to why, well, I'll stay out of that debate this time; at this point it is flogging a dead horse.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots
    I used a z rest pad in a single layer hammock for the first couple years - my kid still does. I camped with that and an old 0 degree sleeping bag down into the low 20s and wasn't cold, and never had condensation issues. The down UQ/TQ solution I have now is nice, but I will say the fiddle factor in keeping cold air drafts out has caused me more nights of rough sleep than the cheap pad and old sleeping bag solution did. Having a pad for added insulation, regardless of what else you use, can be very nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234