Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

IR 3535 Bug Repellent

Has anybody used this much?
    Long history in Europe, and it's the current DoD mil-spec.

Through the generosity of some of the vendors, I am going to have a Bug Juice Buffet down at the Harold hang this weekend. Folks can try out some of most of what is currently offered in the market place.
    I know about a lot of them but not the IR 3535 [3-[N-Butyl-N-acetyl]-aminopropionic acid, ethyl ester].

I'm most interested in knowing if it can effect our eXXpen$ive hammocking fabrics.... ???
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Home sewn, 11'
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Synth UQ, Down TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Here's what Merck (the manufacturer of IR 3535) has to say on it's FAQ page, https://www.emdgroup.com/en/expertise/cosmetics/care-solutions/insect-repellent/faq.html:

"Can I also apply IR3535® products to my clothes to ward off mosquitoes and ticks?

Some products containing IR3535® are intended for use on clothes and not just the skin. Please follow the usage instructions of these products before application. We recommend trying them on a part of your clothing that cannot be seen before use. Like a number of other repellents, IR3535® is not compatible with certain synthetic materials. But adding insect protection to clothes can be important in high-risk areas because some mosquitoes can bite through clothes. Also, ticks often stay undiscovered on clothing for hours before moving to unprotected skin later."

note: The bold emphasis is mine.

More internet time is needed to see if there's any data on what "synthetic materials" are problematic. I'll keep digging.

Hammock
    Home sewn, 11'
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Synth UQ, Down TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bbikebbs View Post
    Here's what Merck (the manufacturer of IR 3535) has to say on it's FAQ page, https://www.emdgroup.com/en/expertise/cosmetics/care-solutions/insect-repellent/faq.html:

"Can I also apply IR3535® products to my clothes to ward off mosquitoes and ticks?

Some products containing IR3535® are intended for use on clothes and not just the skin. Please follow the usage instructions of these products before application. We recommend trying them on a part of your clothing that cannot be seen before use. Like a number of other repellents, IR3535® is not compatible with certain synthetic materials. But adding insect protection to clothes can be important in high-risk areas because some mosquitoes can bite through clothes. Also, ticks often stay undiscovered on clothing for hours before moving to unprotected skin later."

note: The bold emphasis is mine.

More internet time is needed to see if there's any data on what "synthetic materials" are problematic. I'll keep digging.
    From The Environmental Working Group’s web page on July 17, 2018 (https://www.ewg.org/research/ewgs-gu...lent-chemicals)

EWG’s 2018 Guide to Bug Repellents : Repellent Chemicals states:
    Like DEET, IR3535 may dissolve or damage plastics. The manufacturer recommends avoiding contact with plastics other than polyethylene and polypropylene.”

Hope that helps!

Scott

• + New Posts