DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images

How can I enjoy camping/hammocking when the weather is rainy?

Hey everyone: The weather forecast calls for 75% humidity at Lake George this coming weekend, and a strong chance of rain. How do you all manage to camp/hammock comfortably in these conditions, especially when you have your teen daughter with you....This is a family reunion at Rogers Rock campground in NY. Enjoy the weekend everybody, and keep it hangin' high and dry!!

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Couple thoughts . . . buy a cheap massive tarp. Might only last a couple uses but will give some room to move around. Set it up so the rain rolls away from camp and don't get it too close to the fire.

Frogg Toggs are lightweight and breathable rain gear--not too expensive. That will get you to the biffy and back.

If there are a bunch of people, start a volleyball game in the rain and bring extra clothes to change into.

Go on a wild mushroom hunt. You don't have to pick or eat them, just spot them and take pics. Try to identify when back in camp. Could do the same with wild flowers.

Hope you have a good time!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    In the woods, I love it when it rains. Unfortunately it also makes me very sleepy and I take a wonderful nap. If not too heavy, I leave the tarp in porch mode so I can fully enjoy the rain.

As stated above, for gatherings, a few tarps or canopies are a must. It makes for a cozy place to sit and talk/catch up on other's lives. If you're cooking outside, have a separate canopy/tarp to cook under.

Enjoy the rain.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I love rain, but my kids don't. They don't think camping in a rainstorm is fun. However, I usually bring my el-cheapo Guide Gear 12 x 12 tarp, which is not suited for personal weather protection, but works great over a fire. The first time I put the Guide Gear over the fire, everybody said it would catch on fire. It didn't - and the tarp bounced the heat downward and kept us all warm and dry. We were even able to dry out clothing and shoes that had gotten soaked in the rain.

I've brought that Guide Gear to several group hangs since. We had one particularly cold and wet canoe paddle down the Batsto River, and by the time everyone got to camp we were hypothermic. We hung the Guide Gear over the fire (with everyone again commenting what a stupid idea it was to hang a tarp over the fire), but soon everyone was toasty.

The only issue I ever had was when we hung the Guide Gear over the fire during a snowstorm. After breakfast, some genius (who shall remain unnamed) poured the bacon fat over the fire, and my Guide Gear tarp got coated with bacon fat. It probably made the Guide Gear tarp more waterproof, but I really didn't want a tarp that would attract bears!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Can only echo what others have said about a cheap large tarp for a common area to sit under. Also take games of some sort to help occupy time. I also like to walk in the rain and use Frog Toggs as my rain jacket. I let my legs get wet. Ensure your kid(s) take plenty of dry clothing and a couple of pairs of shoes. Wet feet are my number one enemy in the rain....hate them.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I have no problems hiking and camping when it rains but not everyone is so inclined. If it's going to be a hurricane with sideways winds -- best to give up and stay home. If it's a simple straight down rain, get a larger tarp than you think you need and hang it high so you have room to move and/or stand up under it. Multiple tarps are useful to have places to gather/cook/etc. separate from your sleep area.

Since not a lot of people like moving around in the rain you will probably be stuck under the tarps most of the time so you might consider bringing books or electronic devices to amuse you and your daughter. I also recommend a large ground sheet to give you a place to put your feet out of the wet/mud. Tyvek or window film work well.

If you get wet you will get cold and be uncomfortable. Lightweight towels for trying you and your gear are useful. Extra clothes to change into if you get wet. You don't want to go to sleep in wet clothes. Also remember that rain usually means colder weather so extra layers may be necessary.

And if all else fails -- embrace the suck. Not every day is sunshine and unicorns but at least you aren't grinding away at your job. Comfort food/snacks also help.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    And as far as rain gear goes, I prefer a rain jacket but I've switched from using rain pants to a rain skirt. Some people call it a rain kilt but I'm masculine enough to wear a skirt and be OK with that. They shed water well and breath much better than my pants and you get a lot of room to move in. You can also DIY one from a yard to two of waterproof ripstop much easier than trying to sew a pair of pants.

Waterproof boots are good until they get water in them -- then they take days to dry out. Trail runners will let the water in but dry much quicker.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    What a lot of wonderful tips!
    I like to hear some radio stations too.

@scrope - Scottish guys won't like so much your statement about skirts and masculinity..
    Last edited by Halfed; 07-17-2018 at 18:12. Reason: I'm just joking...

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

I find a duraflame cut up under a tarp works great as no sparks
    Kinda like rain over sweltering heat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Take an extra set of dry clothes. I don't mind camping in inclement
    weather but like dry clothes when I stop for the evening. Grab some extra
    wood before rain starts and some fire starting cubes (duraflame) to get wet
    wood burning.

My boys don't mind the rain so much as long as there is fire and marshmallows.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast