Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Not sure what I should be looking for.

So I have done some research, and I think I would enjoy an under quilt over a sleeping pad. (dont like the idea of the sleeping pad moving around).

My question is, when do you need an under quilt? I live in Birmingham Al. and while it does get chilly in the late fall and early winter, it doesn't get to mid to high 60's at night until Sep.

I have been looking at the OneTigris double wide under quilt (so I can lay diagonal better). But it says it is rated between 40 and 68 degrees. Now I have read reviews of people who use it in the 30s and 40s, but would this under quilt along with a light blanket or sleeping bag be too warm specifically for mid to high 60's? First time hammock camper, and I sleep a little warm, but not to the point where I am sweating at night.

Also, I recently purchased an ARAER hammock and bug net. I have laid in it for a few hours and found it comforatble, was curious if anyone has any insight to why a less expensive hammock would not compare to a more expensive hammock other than weight, or what purposes it may serve (such as having a net attached ect.)

All feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

FastHamFreddy

First, welcome!

There is so much great information on this forum that you had better be sure your chair is comfy.

I can't comment on the hammock as I'm not familiar with the brand. Is it short?

Believe it or not, MOST people start to experience some discomfort below 70 degrees at night without some form of insulation underneath. Many folks will say that getting an UQ rated for 20 degrees is not a bad idea. You can always hang it loose if things get too warm. If you really embrace hammocking, you'll probably end up with more than one UQ, not to mention TQs. Hard to get warm enough when your UQ is not up to the task. Much easier to vent it when you're too warm.

You don't need a wide UQ to sleep diagonally. That's pretty much how we all sleep in a gathered-end hammock.

Images
    I would use an underquilt for anything under ~75F. I use the same 20F quilt all year round. I even use it indoors. Being too hot is never a problem, but being too cold can be a serious issue.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Amazon shopper, eh? Personally, I just don't buy Chinese ENO knockoff hammocks off Amazon. You could argue that the ARAER hammock is an ENO knockoff, or a Byer Moskito Kakoon knockoff, or a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro knockoff, or a combination of all of them. The mosquito netting clipped to a ridgeline (of sorts) is probably going to rip in five minutes (at least my kids succeeded in doing so).

I would definitely give AREAR a call - oh, they don't have a website? They don't have a phone number? Welcome to Amazon!

While OneTigris has a website, there is no phone number, but you can contact them via e-mail at [email protected], or you can snail mail them at:

1970 Technology Park, Longhua District, Shenzhen, Guandong, China

China?

I'd be more inclined to utilize a cottage vendor like Dutchware, or Buttinasling, or someone who has an established reputation of customer service and plenty of reviews by knowledgeable hammockers on HF.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-16-2018 at 19:28.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    A few great pieces of gear that will come from cottage vendors (real people who care about your experience, and know gear) are the Arrowhead Equipment Jarbidge, the Hammock Gear Econ series Phoenix or Incubator, the Loco Libre Saver Series, Underground Quilts Zeppelin, and the Wilderness Logics Budget series. These are all serious pieces of gear, any of the, can give you reliable service and years of use. Best of luck!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks everyone!

Yes, I have been scrolling through here quite a bit, keep finding new things in every thread. I can see its like many things where there may just be a personal preference that I have to figure out, which I am alright with. It is just useful to get other peoples opinions.

The input on the underquilts is very much appreciated. I was curious if you could get too hot in them, figured it couldn't be much different than sleeping on a mattress (in the sense that your underside is use to being warm when sleeping).

I actually just bought it cause it was the most affordable, and easier to justify 27 bucks for a hammock, with straps, caribeaners and a bug net than 75 plus. Although I understand the frustration with cheap knock offs when it comes to customer service. Other than customer service have you found or heard of any issues with the "knock off brands"? I can see the bug net ripping easily (it does feel a bit soft) but I will be happy if I get through the season with it. Other than that I have not found any issues with the hammock, straps, ect. I even pulled at it pretty hard when pulling it out of the bag, and kinda plopped up and down in it while laying in it.

Thanks again everyone!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You're not going to find many (if any) reviews of Chinese Amazon knockoff products on HF. There might be 10 different brands that all come from the same Chinese company. The main issue (other than customer service) is that they're Chinese knock-offs. Caveat emptor.

As for underquilts, I rarely even vent mine (pull to the side). If I want to vent, I'll kick my topquilt off.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I can understand that. If this is anything like kayaking and fishing (which I will be using this for overnight kayaking fishing trips) I will likely be buying a second third and fourth shortly. haha

Another question, Between the double and single underquilts, is it harder to see over the double hammock when laying down, or harder to sit 90 degrees with the double hammock?

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Personally I’ve no experience with the One Tigris, but I know someone who does. He used it on Warbonnet BlackBird on a 50ish degree night and according to him was quite warm.

There isn’t anything wrong with buying Amazon gear to start out with. Just keep in mind you aren’t going to get the quality gear and support you find from our cottage vendors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    Another question, Between the double and single underquilts, is it harder to see over the double hammock when laying down, or harder to sit 90 degrees with the double hammock?
    No such thing as a double underquilt. If you're talking about a double hammock, that's just a marketing term for unscrupulous hammock sellers who market a double hammock for two people (as if two people could sleep in a hammock comfortably). Typically, a double hammock is just extra wide. For example, ENO is famous for marketing "double" hammocks. Their single hammock is 9'4" long by 4'7" wide, but their double hammock is 9'4" long by 6'2" wide.

Though I've never owned one, I'm sure it's harder to see out of a double hammock because of all the floppy, unnecessary fabric. It's gonna be in your face.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast