Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have never treated my quilts with any sort of water proofing like Nik Wax,Campdry,Scotchguard etc.Would it be advasable,helpful,or not?Anybody try it?

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Treating your quilts with a dwr like Nikwax down proof would help a lot
    http://www.nikwax.com/en-ca/products...?productid=593

I treat my quilts once a year and it makes a big difference, adds a great water repellency to the fabric and the down.

I would also suggest Dutch's winter sock if you camp in wet conditions a lot with lots of fog, I do a lot of camping on the coast and it really helps keep the moisture off your stuff. Most of the time I can just leave the tarp at home.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I've hiked the Whites for 25+ years and feel your pain. During parts of the Spring/Summer/Fall we might as well be Pacific Northwest rainforest.

When I got into hammocking years ago this was part of my calculus, along with the tendency to get warm winter days that bring freezing rain instead of snow. So my 20° underquilt and my 40° top and underquilts are all Climashield. My 20° topquilt and my 0° sets are all down. The last 5 trips I took involved rain and clouds. Except for the warmest Summer days I generally pack my 20° synthetic UQ (Loco Libre Cayenne Pepper, which unfortunately George has paused making for a while) and my 40° TQ (an Arrowhead Equipment Owyhee). Last overnight it drizzled all day, started raining heavy at 3pm, rained all night hard enough at times to mist through my tarp, then the morning found us in the clouds (near the end of the Timber Camp Trail). Stayed perfectly warm all night with lows in the upper 40s.

I can't see packing a CCF pad if I've invested in quilts. And I agree that in the 40° and even 20° range the weight penalty isn't that severe between synthetic and down. So I believe 100% in the benefit of Apex for our particular climate.

Some pics of the last hike this year. Soaked trail, fog in the morning, and clouds on the trail on the hike out:

IMG_20180520_082911.jpg IMG_20180520_082208.jpg IMG_20180520_105606.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12