Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Lightbulb DIY Snugpak Jungle Blanket TQ and Fleece TQ / TQ liner

I've been wanting to make a TQ out of the extra Snugpak Jungle Blanket I have since I turned the first one into an UQ 2 years ago. When I got my Ridgerunner last week I hung the "JB" UQ beneath it and it fits perfectly, which got me thinking about a JB TQ again. The other day I found a 200wt. fleece blanket when I was organizing my gear and decided to turn it into a TQ for my youngest daughter ( and myself lol) So I got some mixed hook and loop, a snap kit shock cord then got to work.

I have ZERO sewing machine skills so I tacked the foot end s.cord down by hand and hand sewed a channel for it. After that I added the book & loop and a snaps to form the footbox. It took me about 2 hrs total due to the hand sewing. I finished it up this afternoon and my little head LOVED IT !! It's just the right size for her too. Once I was done, I was still in a diy kind of mood so I got out the JB to see what.I could come up with. First, I ran the s.cord through the end of the blanket , passing it out then back in a hole in the middle where it can be adjusted via cord lock and tacked it at the other corner as well . Then, I.measured the distance from the tips of my toes when pointed down while laying supine to the middle of my knee to get the right length for the footbox. Next, I added 2" hook/ loop to each side of the foot end to make the backside of the footbox, starting 2" up from the edge of the blanket so I could add a snap. Another snap was added at the top of the h/l to aid in keeping the FB closed, and 2 more at the top corners to allow it to be fastened behind my neck/back.

And that's it! I now have a JB TQ to match my JB UQ ,which is now my default quilt set for the warm, muggy Chesapeake bay summer . It will also be used a a TQ liner for boosting the temp rating of my CDT TQ, Snugpak TQ , 40° econ Burrow and if.needed , the -10° Burrow as well. I'm really.happy with how they both turned out considering I didn't use a sewing machine ! I'll post some pics and/or a video tomorrow . I'm using the JB UQ tonight so I'll have a good feel.for how it performs in the am since the temp & humidity are right in the border for me between hang of sleep inside. Both of these quilts were super easy and inexpensive to make, perfect.for someone on a budget or a new hanger looking for a summer TQ or fleece TQ liner..
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I'm super happy with how this turned out. Ill eventually add a channel for the foot end shock cord, but for now it seems to work just fine. Last night it was around 67° , 65% humidity with a nice breeze and this was the perfect TQ for the job. Having the antimicrobial + antibacterial properties is a huge plus with this and the JB UQ I made since the summer weather here is always so humid, and when the sun comes up it shines right on my rig which usually causes me to start to sweat. In the 3 years I've been using Snugpak insulation I've never once had any issues , they really do make some excellent budget synthetic quilts and gear.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I just got back from Wal-Mart and found a few of these : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...nket/632092084 , Ozark Trail package camping blanket. It's 60× 70, so the same size roughly as the jungle blanket and has a " waterproof " fabric bottom. Its construction was fairly decent and its lined with ribbon around the edge which can double asa premade shock cord channel. I might pick 2 of these up and make a matching UQ/TQ set for my wife to use when it's too warm for her new 40° Burrow. The price was only $20, so even if it only kinda works it won't be a huge loss and I'll have a good general purpose camp blanket or something to keep in the car and truck.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Do report back on how it works -- I'm curious about the "waterproof" layer and how that might affect its use as quilts for hammocking.

(My local SmallMart has only one in stock, according to the website, but it is listed at only $14.97!)

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Will do. I was wondering the same thing about the waterproof layer. My thought was it could either be a plus when used as an UQ to keep wind blown precip from wetting the insulation , or could keep built up moisture in when used as a TQ since its directly in contact with the body. It will be interesting to see how it performs in different configurations and weather conditions. I might make it so it's dual purpose by adding grosgrain tabs at the corners for a suspension and snaps + shock cord to use it as a TQ. I'll post when it's finished!

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Is the Jungle blanket long enough for an effective TQ?

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    Is the Jungle blanket long enough for an effective TQ?
    Absolutely. Even with the end cinched it's still long enough to be pulled over my head and I'm 5'7.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Snugpak also has this : https://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-Trave...073C59WR7?th=1 , the JUNGLE BLANKET XL. It's 90× 72 , so a bit bigger than the standard JB and is made with the same materials and fill thickness. For anyone over 6', I'd recommend this one especially if it's going to be turned into a TQ or UQ.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Snugpak also has this : https://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-Trave...073C59WR7?th=1 , the JUNGLE BLANKET XL. It's 90× 72 , so a bit bigger than the standard JB and is made with the same materials and fill thickness. For anyone over 6', I'd recommend this one especially if it's going to be turned into a TQ or UQ.
    Yeah. I'm 6' and my 'regular' Jungle Blanket is fine as a throw, but it's a bit short for a full quilt for me. Love it though for other purposes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast