Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Question Q: Chameleon & Sidecar placement...

I'm considering replacing my XLC with a Chameleon for a whole host of reasons, and coming from the XLC's shelf, I'm curious about the Integrated Sidecar bugnet/zip-in Sidecar placement as it relates to lay direction.

• The Chameleon obviously can lay in either direction with the tieouts. The Sidecar has its own tieouts. Can/do these replace the head-end hammock tieouts, for those that are using a Sidecar?
    • If you have a Sidecar, do you put it on the side next to your head, or the side opposite your head? How is that working out?
    • Anyone zip in a Sidecar toward the foot end, on either side? What do you think?

I'm definitely interested in a Sidecar if I go this way... I'm just weighing the integrated top vs. the zip-in version.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The sidecar tie outs do replace the original tie outs. After trying mine on both sides head and foot, I prefer mine on the head end and on the head side. I sleep head left, so it's by my left shoulder. I just found this easier for me to reach and use. When I tried the foot end I wasn't able to access it while laying in the hammock, but this would be a great spot for storing clothes or other items you won't need until morning.

Oh, and a tip: If you want the side car to be half as deep, you can reach inside it and pull the inner D rings up and attach to the D rings on the hammock body with mitten hooks or something. This will halve the depth and the bottom seam then becomes a vertical wall to create two compartments. This alleviates having to reach to the bottom of the sidecar to reach any small items. Everything is high and tight.
    Last edited by JmBoh; 07-12-2018 at 16:15.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Thanks JB! I wondered about comfort with the Sidecar on the head side, especially since the XLC has the shelf on the opposite side.

I'd also read in another thread about the Sidecar half-depth configuration... that guy thinks of everything.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    Thanks JB! I wondered about comfort with the Sidecar on the head side, especially since the XLC has the shelf on the opposite side.

I'd also read in another thread about the Sidecar half-depth configuration... that guy thinks of everything.
    No problem! Glad to help. The only thing about the sidecar on the opposite side of the head end is "the wall". That wall of fabric on that side puts the opening of the sidecar up high and makes it even farther to reach the bottom. That's the only reason I chose head side. BUT, you can stake out the side car at a steep angle making more like the WB shelf and it'll pull that wall of fabric out a little too, which is nice. Only thing about that is it'll sag with heavier items. I put my 20* quilts in it like that and it sagged quite a bit. I think the sidecar is by far the best add on for the Chameleon.
    Last edited by JmBoh; 07-12-2018 at 17:50.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I never thought to put the Sidecar at the foot end - seems kind of inaccessible. I guess it could be done.

I see no reason why you can't use the tie-outs on the Chameleon in addition to the tie-outs on the Sidecar. Last time I went out I did that - my beagle Joey was annoyed by the unused tie-outs and wanted to chew on them. For some reason he only wants to chew on unused tie-outs.

Of course, you can remove the tie-outs on the Chameleon once you install the sidecar. I'm just too lazy to do so.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I went from an XLC to a Chameleon. I was so nervous I was going to miss my XLC shelf. Took the plunge and did miss it. THEN the sidecar came out. Lets just say....I no longer miss my shelf.

I set the sidecar up just like my old XLC shelf...so opposite my head. Works great. I think down by your feet would be a PIA to get stuff. But if you got two sidecars...you could keep one at the foot end for quilts or extra clothes etc. Stuff you dont need access to that often.

JmBoh..thanks for the tip about making the sidecar into two smaller compartments! I have never thought of this and its a smart idea. I will be giving it a try.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    None or Z-Rest (it
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I never thought to put the Sidecar at the foot end - seems kind of inaccessible. I guess it could be done.

I see no reason why you can't use the tie-outs on the Chameleon in addition to the tie-outs on the Sidecar. Last time I went out I did that - my beagle Joey was annoyed by the unused tie-outs and wanted to chew on them. For some reason he only wants to chew on unused tie-outs.

Of course, you can remove the tie-outs on the Chameleon once you install the sidecar. I'm just too lazy to do so.
    If you get a net sidecar and put your shoes in there, you might want it down by you feet so you don’t have to smell them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts