Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Video: Panthertown Valley (NC) with the dog

Backpacking Panthertown Valley with my beagle Lacey - I wander around and don't get lost.

The July weather forecast of 80's/60's had me looking for places to backpack. I initially thought of Linville Gorge, but I wasn't sure my beagle Lacey was up for the river crossing. And I questioned our desire to take on the ITAYG loop I had been eying. So at the 11th hour, I pulled out the Backpacking North Carolina book by Joe Miller for inspiration. Then it hit me - Panthertown Valley. I've been wanting to go there for years.

Because of my late inspiration on where to go, I didn't do my typical pre-trip research. You know, reading threads on here about past routes or watching YouTube videos.
    Instead, after arriving at the trailhead, I went from place to place based on recommendations from people I met on the trail, or if I saw something that looked cool. I took one trail because it had a cool arch of rhododendron that you accessed by crossing a creek on rocks - it felt like something from Tolkien. I was even ready with the Elvish word for friend in case it was needed. And the nice part about Panthertown Valley is it isn't huge, so you can wander around and never be too far away. Well, I suppose if you got lost it would feel immense.

Speaking of not getting lost... I was always careful to know my location. There many unmarked intersections in the area. I recommend "A Guides Guide to Panthertown Valley" map. It shows the USFS trails and other unofficial trails. I picked up the map in Brevard and used Gaia GPS on my phone. Proceeds for the map go to Friends of Panthertown.
    And it is a good map. I like how unofficial trails are marked with large dots or small dots - the smaller ones being less traveled, more bushwhacky, and generally harder to find where they start (in my limited experience)>

Anyway, I ended up visiting many of the main attractions. Schoolhouse Falls; Devils Elbow; Red Butt Falls; Jawbone Falls; Sandbar Pools; Granny Burrell Falls; Frolictown Falls; and Big Green Mountain. I'm sure I missed some, but that will leave more to visit the next time I'm there.

Finally, I did see a black bear on both days I was there. The first was moving across the trail as we came upon it, so it was a pretty quick. Lacey got pretty exciting to be on the scent before I even knew what was happening. She added a new smell to her collection.
    The second day I saw a bear after we had setup camp. I knew bears frequented the area, so it wasn't a surprise. And its why I was using a bear canister (recommended for here but not currently required). But after having the bear visit camp again 30 minutes later, we decided to pack up & cut the trip a bit short. I got my night hiking PTown Valley badge along with my nighttime creek crossing badge on the way out, so that was fun. Well if you get wet feet do you still get the badge?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Just watched and commented on the YT. Great trip video!

Question- do you prefer the webbing and buckle system for your WBBB? Have you ever tried a different suspension?

I got a WBRR for my wife but I'm not crazy about the suspension, it may just be a matter of being unfamiliar with it yet tho.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Just watched and commented on the YT. Great trip video!

Question- do you prefer the webbing and buckle system for your WBBB? Have you ever tried a different suspension?

I got a WBRR for my wife but I'm not crazy about the suspension, it may just be a matter of being unfamiliar with it yet tho.
    Thanks John

I’ve used whoopies; WB webbing/buckles; and some buckles/webbing from Dutch. I prefer the WB buckles/webbing and have put them on all my hammocks.
    I find the WB straps easy to adjust - sometimes you have to take weight off the hammock but once you learn that trick it’s second nature. I haven’t found a tree they won’t go around. And I like that they are attached to the hammock so I won’t forget them at home or in camp - one less thing to check for.
    How’s Cathy liking the WBRR? I could not make it work for me. I wanted to but I toss and turn to much and my knees laid against the webbing suspension. But I sure liked the view and perfect underquilt fit.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I really enjoy your videos. That is a great dog too. I respect you keeping her on a leash. Dogs running wild is getting way too common.

Panthertown Valley is nice but as you found out, it is full of bears that have zero fear of humans because it is in a sanctuary zone. I had a bear come up to my campsite by Granny Burrell falls and he just sat there and stared at me. I tried yelling, banging pots and pans but nothing. So I finally pulled out a cherry bomb and threw it at him. That did the trick. I wasn't bothered the rest of the night.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I really enjoy your videos. That is a great dog too. I respect you keeping her on a leash. Dogs running wild is getting way too common.

Panthertown Valley is nice but as you found out, it is full of bears that have zero fear of humans because it is in a sanctuary zone. I had a bear come up to my campsite by Granny Burrell falls and he just sat there and stared at me. I tried yelling, banging pots and pans but nothing. So I finally pulled out a cherry bomb and threw it at him. That did the trick. I wasn't bothered the rest of the night.
    Appreciate the feedback. I always like to watch videos before I go places so who knows maybe this helps somebody out.

I hear you about the bears. I saw a post when I got home from @EagleJ back in 2012 and sounded like the same bear (or at least same issue) back then. I was thinking this morning about noise makers and hadn’t gotten that far in my thinking but I bet the cherry bomb worked wonders.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    TallPaul,

Thanks for a good trip report. Really felt like we were coming right along with you and Lacey. Have to ask though. Did Lacey come back with you to get your camera after all those neat views of your passing by on the trail? Those made it as if we were hiking with you. Understand your caution with the bear. Glad you made it out at night without problems.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    Did Lacey come back with you to get your camera after all those neat views of your passing by on the trail? Those made it as if we were hiking with you. Understand your caution with the bear. Glad you made it out at night without problems.
    Thanks for checking out the video and - ha - such a good question.

About part way thru the trip I came up with a trail name for Lacey... “one-way”. She loves to go down a trail but anytime I had to go back and grab the camera... it was like a toddler throwing a fit. Stopping. Smelling. Zig zagging. Making me pull her along. You name it, she tried all the tricks to avoid repeating any part of the trail. Makes me smile just thinking about her being ridiculous.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for taking us along. Nice video, as always.

Tom
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Thanks for checking out the video and - ha - such a good question.

About part way thru the trip I came up with a trail name for Lacey... “one-way”. She loves to go down a trail but anytime I had to go back and grab the camera... it was like a toddler throwing a fit. Stopping. Smelling. Zig zagging. Making me pull her along. You name it, she tried all the tricks to avoid repeating any part of the trail. Makes me smile just thinking about her being ridiculous.
    Beagles know forward I have one about the same size as Lacey. She's sleeping at my feet right now after our nightly walk. She catalogues smells as we go and wants to keep finding new ones. Backtracking isn't part of the process. Sometimes she literally jerks the lease out of my hand if she happens to smell something worth stopping and giving it a second sniff. Understand what you must have needed to do with Lacey. Having her along was a nice addition to your trip report and I know she was good company.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Great video Tall Paul
    How do you like the Gaia GPS for marking trails? I looked at their website and could not get a idea of how well the app works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast