Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    an inner patch layer will help keep the stitching from ripping directly through the material.
    first off, if you check out my earlier threads, you'll see that it's not as big of an issue as we seem to be making it here
    my 1st tarp w/ pull outs is still in perfectly fine working condition, even after seeing quite a bit of use.
    my second tarp, as i explained before, has seen a little more abuse... in the form of very high winds, & me stretching it tighter than i really should have at times.
    also, on the 1st tarp i had tie out lines that came w/ the ray way kit & it seemed to have a slight stretch to it. the second tarp just had guy line cord w/ little or no stretch.
    so having a little stretch built in (as headchange suggested) would be a good idea.

but the point i've been trying to make about the inside patch being helpful has to do w/ what bb said in the part of his quote i added above.
    remember the pull outs i'm talking about here are being pulled more or less strait out, unlike a guy line tie out.
    the principle i'm talking about is commonly applied in construction. the thread going through the silnylon, looping over & coming back through is plenty strong enough, but it's putting a lot of force in one small point on the silnylon.
    so if you add something thicker & stiffer between it & the silnylon, it acts like a washer of sorts.
    and that addresses the forces that i see taking place in my use of the side pull out tabs on a tarp.
    ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I saw a thread on WB that talks about side tie outs on a tarp. Someone mention Grip Clips and they look pretty neat. It would at least solve the problem of the patches ripping through the tarp, plus you could remove them when you didn't need them. You could also move them around to suit your needs.

What do you think?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I saw a thread on WB that talks about side tie outs on a tarp. Someone mention Grip Clips and they look pretty neat. It would at least solve the problem of the patches ripping through the tarp, plus you could remove them when you didn't need them. You could also move them around to suit your needs.

What do you think?
    those are a little different from the old style griff clips i have, but same basic principal.
    i've used the old griff clips i have on a tyvek tarp quite a few times & they work fine.
    my concerns would be the "gathering" of fabric around the inside piece & the bunching that it causes.
    also, mine have a loop for attaching the line off to one side, so i'm not sure if it would pull in a "cock-eyed", off centered kind of a way.
    but looking at the demo on the web site, it looks workable. it might work great. maybe some one needs to give the new style a try as a pull out

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I may order some to try it out. The bunching and gathering that the clip causes doesn't worry me much. I am a little worried that it may cause wear on the tarp if used in the same spot over and over again. It could be moved around to help eliminate any wear problems. You could even use it on alternate sides of the tarp to reduce wear.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I went to the ordering page and the Grip Clips are pretty cheap (4 for $8, free shipping) and they have some small ones that would be perfect for what I am looking to do.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Couldn't you could just find a small rock or stick or coin to put under the tarp, then tie the tie-out around it with a taut-line hitch -- kindof like how these work in their demo? I think I'm missing something here.

Just asking.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Couldn't you could just find a small rock or stick or coin to put under the tarp, then tie the tie-out around it with a taut-line hitch -- kindof like how these work in their demo? I think I'm missing something here.

Just asking.
    I could do something like that and that's kind the direction I was heading but I went ahead and ordered some of the Grip Clips to try out.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Just asking.
    yep, but anything that wasn't really smooth would soon take it's toll on silnylon... especially in wind.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Just asking.
    I have some. One advantage I can think of off-hand is that they use up a lot less fabric that if you tied a coin. Kinda hard to describe, I attached a crude picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Colin F

Guys,
    If I remember my Colin Fletcher (MHRIP) correctly, this is what he did back in the seventies (sixties??) for his tarps. Worked well then, should work well now. He used it regularly, I think it may be best used as a field repair if the original grommet or tab pulled out.
    A
    He who sits alone, sleeps alone, and walks alone, who is strenuous and subdues himself alone, will find delight in the solitude of the forest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234