Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Sounds like you're looking for the smallest tarp possible with good wind protection. I'm following this thread since I'm also looking for the same thing.

I've been contemplating Warbonnet's three newer fly tarps due to less stakes and less cord required. I'd also like to use it for camping as rain shelter over picnic tables. The SuperFly is still my primary tarp.
    I really like the minifly. Its roughly the same dimensions as my current tarp on the sides, so I'd really be heavily relying on the uqp for good wind cover. I think if I were to choose one of warbonnet fly options, itd be the mountainfly or thunderfly to get the extra width on the sides.

Without true tarp doors though, you'd also be susceptible to wind changes. The extra rain protection is very cool though.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    More than likely, this is what I'll end up doing. The gram weenie in me is trying to find alternatives ?
    Ultimately, only three factors are going to matter if you want to combat wind and blown/indirect precipitation; in ranked order, (IMHO) they are:

1) Pitch
    2) Panel Width
    3) Door type and configuration

Pitch is up to you.

The wider panel width you can live with, the more protection and the more options you will have against wind and rain, and most two-panel tarp options you choose are going to provide better defense than the WL Tadpole.

If your priority is sealing out drafts, especially during typically changeable winter conditions where the wind can shift, full doors are really your best option, but with maximum panel width and full doors plus the extra hardware, you'll need to pack, limiting the ridge line length and choosing a lightweight material are only options you have left to shave a few grams. (Doors that fold flat on the ends instead of providing a triangular vestibule like a true winter tarp will be a minor accommodation toward lighter weight.)

Conversely, if you want decent extreme weather protection while still prioritizing light weight and a small pack size with less hassle, consider a full-width hex tarp with half doors, like the Warbonnet Mountainfly or my own DIY Badlander. You get a compact ridge line, maximum panel width from standard waterproof fabric, and convenient and lightweight half doors yo protect the ends and cut the breeze while requiring only a micro-biner for door management (no extra stakes or guy lines required).

(My DIY tarp came in at 14 ounces in 1.1 oz silpoly.)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-11-2018 at 08:48.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Wind Protection

That badlander tarp seems like a happy compromise.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    The Superfly is a classic. Nearly a do-it-all tarp. I also have the Mamajamba but recently decided I need just a little extra on the ends, so I picked up a Thunderfly as well. All three may seem excessive on paper, but in real use it's the perfect arsenal to have depending on the weather and location.

I have to agree with SS on blocking the wind. It just makes more sense to block the wind with a proper tarp before it even becomes a problem rather than try to supplement with a UQP. I'm not saying a UQP is useless; it does have other benefits. But it's just not something I ever felt a need for.
    I'm still undecided between the Thunderfly and the Minifly. With the Superfly already in my arsenal, I'm not terribly concerned with wind protection for colder months.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I really like the minifly. Its roughly the same dimensions as my current tarp on the sides, so I'd really be heavily relying on the uqp for good wind cover. I think if I were to choose one of warbonnet fly options, itd be the mountainfly or thunderfly to get the extra width on the sides.

Without true tarp doors though, you'd also be susceptible to wind changes. The extra rain protection is very cool though.
    Sounds like you could use a backup tarp with greater coverage. I'm considering options to increase air flow during warmer months. It isn't necessary, so I may not even get it, but I'm still considering it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I use the HG CF STD tarp and add a 2QZQ UQP as needed. It's a bomb proof setup.

20170907_183811.jpg

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have the HG Winterpalace and still like the idea of the UQP because it is an added layer of moisture/wind protector and is supposed to give you another 10 degrees or so of warmth for whatever system you have.

Hammock
    Walhalla
    Tarp
    Walhalla
    Insulation
    Trailheadz & JRB
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Images
    Love my WL Old Man Winter.
    HANG WELL MY FRIENDS AND HANG IN THERE!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I have the HG Winterpalace and still like the idea of the UQP because it is an added layer of moisture/wind protector and is supposed to give you another 10 degrees or so of warmth for whatever system you have.
    I'd be pretty skeptical of 10 degrees of warmth added from a UQP. I think the great benefit of the UQP is to allow the UQ to perform at it's optical specs when encountering windy and damp conditions.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RENDAWG View Post
    Love my WL Old Man Winter.
    I always liked the design of the Old Man Winter. It's been one of those tarps that I've admired for a while because of the three guy outs on each side. I wish it was a bit lighter though. Hammock gear now makes a winter tarp that's kinda similar to the OMW that I'd lean towards if I ever did buy a winter tarp -- http://www.hammockgear.com/the-journey/

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heydad! View Post
    I use the HG CF STD tarp and add a 2QZQ UQP as needed. It's a bomb proof setup.

20170907_183811.jpg
    I've considered this exact setup for the combination of light weight and full protection. I'm just not so sure I'd want to spend the $315 on a CF tarp with doors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast