Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Wind Protection

Hello all. I'm looking for some feedback as I'm considering adding another tarp to my arsenal. I currently have an 11 foot hex tarp (WL tadpole), and it does great for 3 seasons. I'm debating purchasing a winter tarp with doors to help seal out the draft in colder months. I just don't like the idea of the extra weight and the extra fuss of more ground tie outs, fooling with doors or losing views.

I'm debating two options.

1. Suck it up and buy a winter tarp.
    2. Try a Uq protector with a different tarp that has more than 90ish inches on each side. Maybe something like the thunderfly?

Any thoughts or personal preferences welcomed !
    Last edited by Dlrocm; 07-09-2018 at 09:06.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get a winter tarp. You can still use it in porch mode for the views but have the doors when they are needed and boy do they work well. I've not used my under quilt protector since getting a SimplyLightDesigns winter haven. The added weight is the price to pay for warmth.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    As much as I love my HG hex, once winter sets in I'll take the Superfly.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Beaks are super sweet. I have a couple hex tarps for the family and I. I built a 12 ft winter tarp with doors and it was epic. I say was because the last time i set it up in mid spring, the wind made one side explode. That 12 footer was expensive, even for DIY and losing it was a heart breaker. Ruined/ended a trip, too. It will become beaks and pack covers now and maybe a rain skirt or two depending on what's left. The one proper beak I made so far has performed spectacularly, and I will be making more for the whole crew. The nice thing about it is that one tarp can be all the things. A good fair to crap weather tarp for general use, but throw the beaks in when the weather is going to be bad or cold and you're good to go.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I tried Tyvek Grizz Beaks for a few trips - they worked. However, I find a 4-season tarp to be more effective. I've never considered a UQP - just doesn't make any sense to me that you would utilize something to cover your UQ simply because you had an inadequate tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Wind Protection

I should have mentioned that I tried out a single door that I bought for my tarp, and I found it only mildly effective for blocking wind. I think the tarp I own just isn't long enough on the sides to block the wind.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with an UQP with a smaller hex tarp (11 ft x 8ft ish) . something like a warbonnet minifly + uqp would be less weight than most winter tarps. I don't think a dyneema tarp is in the cards for me.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Sounds like you're looking for the smallest tarp possible with good wind protection. I'm following this thread since I'm also looking for the same thing.

I've been contemplating Warbonnet's three newer fly tarps due to less stakes and less cord required. I'd also like to use it for camping as rain shelter over picnic tables. The SuperFly is still my primary tarp.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    - just doesn't make any sense to me that you would utilize something to cover your UQ simply because you had an inadequate tarp.
    I don't want to have to pitch my tarp like an a frame just because of a cool breeze. If the uqp gives adequate wind protection in combination with a small tarp, that's a win in my book. The silver lining is that the combo would also weigh less than most winter tarps - excluding cuben fiber.

These are just my thoughts, and I'm hoping that someone whose tried a similar setup chime in with their experiences.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Get a winter tarp. You can still use it in porch mode for the views but have the doors when they are needed and boy do they work well. I've not used my under quilt protector since getting a SimplyLightDesigns winter haven. The added weight is the price to pay for warmth.
    More than likely, this is what I'll end up doing. The gram weenie in me is trying to find alternatives ?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Sounds like you're looking for the smallest tarp possible with good wind protection. I'm following this thread since I'm also looking for the same thing.

I've been contemplating Warbonnet's three newer fly tarps due to less stakes and less cord required. I'd also like to use it for camping as rain shelter over picnic tables. The SuperFly is still my primary tarp.
    The Superfly is a classic. Nearly a do-it-all tarp. I also have the Mamajamba but recently decided I need just a little extra on the ends, so I picked up a Thunderfly as well. All three may seem excessive on paper, but in real use it's the perfect arsenal to have depending on the weather and location.

I have to agree with SS on blocking the wind. It just makes more sense to block the wind with a proper tarp before it even becomes a problem rather than try to supplement with a UQP. I'm not saying a UQP is useless; it does have other benefits. But it's just not something I ever felt a need for.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast