SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

This DIY Trip made possible by DUTCH!!!

Early last Fall, the kids in our youth group began making their own 11 foot hammocks out of Dutchwaregear's Hexon 1.6. None of them had ever before sewn fabric or spliced amsteel. The kids ranged in age from 10 to 18. At one point, I realized the morning after I had placed my latest fabric order that I had forgotten one child's order. Knowing Dutch's reputation for mailing your order out, the day before you place the order(!), I was worried it would be too late to get that missing four yards of Morrocan Blue Hexon added in to our order and I dreaded the added shipping charge of a separate order. When I called Dutchwaregear to see if they could change my order last minute, Carolyn and Dutch did me one better...they added in the missing fabric into my order and didn't even charge me for those four yards! They had heard about our project and wanted to help out! We were pinching every penny since many of the kids' families really could not afford to spend much on the project. We had already figured how we could make the hammocks, CL, SRL, and tree straps for $35 per hammock at Dutch's normal prices, but, his unexpected generosity helped us even more!

We wound up sewing 18 hammocks using 4 sewing machines. The kids were delighted with their new hammocks, but, unfortunately, we had completed them too late in the year to take them camping. The kids didn't yet have underquilts or pads, so we just went on a couple of day hangs and then waited out the winter. As soon as school was out for the summer, the kids were clamoring for a camping trip. We needed bug nets first, though! I contacted Dutch to see about buying netting and found out that he was temporarily out of stock of all netting as he had gotten a batch in that did not come up to his standards and he had scrapped an entire thousand yards. He was not going to be getting the replacement netting in time for us to make bug nets for our scheduled campout, but, he came to our rescue offering us 11 bug nets (3 Fronkey's and 8 summer socks) that had been made with the netting that didn't meet his high standards before he had realized there was a problem with that particular batch. Instead of scrapping them as he had originally intended, he donated them to us, telling us they would carry us through this campout which would give us more time to make sturdier ones once he had netting available again. And carried us through they did! I already had one Fronkey bug net that I had bought from Dutch years earlier and, thanks to my hammock hording, I had seven other hammocks with integrated nets to offer for kids to borrow once we ran out of the salvaged bugnets. Funny thing was, kids were turning down the offered Blackbird XLC's and Trail Lairs in favor of getting to sleep in their own DIY hammocks. I was beginning to worry that we would have to have a drawing to see who would have to only use their DIY hammocks for day while using one of my XLC's or TL's for night use! It worked out though! We had just enough kids volunteer, but not one extra volunteer!!! It meant the world to those kids to get to spend the night in the hammocks they had sewn themselves!

We had our campout at Stockton Lake. Thunderstorms were predicted for all day Friday--the morning we would be arriving. I had tarp coverage from my hammock horde to protect 9 hammocks...and ran out and bought cheapy small blue Walmart tarps and paracord to cover the other 9 hammocks...but the evening before our campout, the weather pattern shifted and our chances of rain plummeted to 5%! We decided to live risky and skip the tarps. Not a drop of rain fell the entire two days we were there! I'll be taking the unopened Walmart tarps back! We will try our hand at sewing up a few tarps and more bug nets before our next outing.

At the last minute, 19 kayaks were also made available to us to borrow, so their first ever hammock camping trip turned into a first ever kayaking adventure as well! Talk about fun!

The kids wanted to thank Dutch for all he has done to help them on this adventure. Some of our kids are in foster care. One of the older boys who has been shuttled between multiple foster homes most of his life, told me this was the first time he has ever gotten to camp. It may seem like just some fabric and bug nets, but it's not. It's a life experience that these kids will carry with them forever. Thank you, Dutch.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 07-09-2018 at 01:00.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    A few more photos from this weekend...

Last edited by Dublinlin; 07-08-2018 at 23:49.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Great story and thanks for your efforts with the kids. We had 25 scouts make their own from RSBTR a couple years ago. They could care less about a perfectly straight seam or the perfect hang angle. Pride of "I made this and learned something new" will always win over a borrowed or even bought piece of gear for youth like this.
    Another thing I find them very appreciative of is the time you invest in helping them learn and try new things. I hope you are on the receiving end of their thanks. It is not always immediate but when it comes it makes it all worth it.
    Just kick back in your own hammock and know that you make a difference beyond showing some kids how to camp in style.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Great story! That many hammocks makes me think of a some alien invasion with egg pods they left around to grow and take over the earth.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Just a couple more!....

(All but three of our kids.)

Thank you, again, Dutch!!! The bugs would've eaten us alive without you coming to our rescue!!!

Last edited by Dublinlin; 07-09-2018 at 00:54.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    ... I find them very appreciative of is the time you invest in helping them learn and try new things...
    That's so true! This project has been such a bonding experience! The kids connected with the two moms and three grandma's who undertook teaching them to sew and they bonded more with each other, too, as the kids helped each other out making their hammocks! A few of the older boys didn't want to try their hand at sewing and were excited to let the younger kids sew theirs...and the younger kids were happy to do it for them! It was fun seeing the kids sew for others after they had finished their own!

Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    Great story! That many hammocks makes me think of a some alien invasion with egg pods they left around to grow and take over the earth.
    LOL! It DOES look a bit like that!!!

What a fantastic experience. I'm sure that they will treasure those hammocks.

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch Bits
    Images
    It's wonderful when adults put in the time to give such experiences to youth. The whole world is better for it.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Dutch is an awesome guy! You guys did great! Hope you get to enjoy those a lot more this summer!!!!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    That is a great story; thanks for sharing it.

Dutch is the man...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast