Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba

Top Quilt : How Wide?

I am looking at getting a premium TQ from one of our cottage vendors. Contenders currently are HG Burrow 20 / Econ 20 (55" wide), UGQ Bandit XL (60"), and a Loco Libre Ghost Pepper 20 (55"), EE Revelation Wide 20 (58")

Anyhow, I'm uncertain as to which width to go with. I'm 6' tall, 260 lbs, wear an XL/2XL (depending on fit) shirt. Currently use a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, looking to get a Amok Draumr large when they come out, as I alternate between back and side sleeping. Weight of the TQ isn't an issue, although packed volume is of modest concern. Also, as I live in the more arid part of the country, going to ground does happen, so I'll be using it with a pad also.

So, how wide is wide enough, and how wide is too wide?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Since you'll also be using this on the ground, place your pad on the floor abs place a blanket over you. Have someone else attach clips or place pins in the blanket, a few inches either side of your body. Then measure the width between those points. The required width in the hammock would be a bit less.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    if you're going to get a draumr, you'll want the widest quilt you can get. since you don't get an UQ to wrap around your sides like in a gathered end, the wider quilts you need to tuck in (if you're doing winter camping that is)

I don't have any experience with any of the quilts you listed, but I lust after the HG Burrows, I really like how they look

that being said, all of them have pretty good reputations

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I love my HG Burrows when hanging but, when used for sleeping on the ground, I wish I'd have gotten the Wide version. (I am also #250, XL/2XL).
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Since you'll also be using this on the ground, place your pad on the floor abs place a blanket over you. Have someone else attach clips or place pins in the blanket, a few inches either side of your body. Then measure the width between those points. The required width in the hammock would be a bit less.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    +1 on the measuring. I'm 5'10 Large shirt, I use a 52" wide JRB quilt and it's plenty wide and then some in a hammock or in ground mode on my back or side. Any of your choices got that covered. Don't see how any could be too wide.

Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I'm a 2x 250-260lbs broad shoulders. And I would go wide as in no less than 60 up to 64 . Basically a sleeping bag width without a zipper . I also go from back to side sleeping all night long. And from hammock to occasional lean to and tents. At our size you will appreciate the width when not in hammock and gives you enough when in hammock to not be picky about the tuck and it doesn't pop out of tuck with movement. Just my opinion and what works for me after trying a few options in width. I actually ended up going back to a down mummy bag with a 64 wide top and use it like a quilt in hammock and like a bag in other senerios .

• + New Posts