Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Haven't felt the magic

I have slept a total of four backyard-nights in my HH Expedition: two in a heat wave, just over a week ago; and the last two nights, with lows of 11 °C and 16 °C (52 °F and 61 °F), so I could decide what insulation to take.

It has been fine, but I have not had the miraculous, life-changing experience that many mention upon discovering hammocks. Is it possible that I just don't hate sleeping on the ground as much as you? (In a hotel with a too-soft bed, I usually fold the comforter in thirds and sleep on the floor.)

I haven't been sleeping very well, but I think that has some to do with thinking too much about temperature and position, and also the fact that I have to wake up all the way to _change_ position (which I do a LOT). I'm hoping that enough practice will get me to the point of not thinking about the mere fact of being in a hammock.

I think I have to make an SPE. Has anyone ever put grippy shelf-liner stuff on the bottom to reduce the slipping? Good, bad, or ugly?

Also, am I a total freak for turning the "wrong" way in an asym hammock? I tried it, last night, and it was not at all uncomfortable. I have found that lay angle defines which side I can sleep on, for side-sleeping, and which foot is turned in, for back-sleeping, and I wanted to be able to switch those up, so I just rotated to the other angle. Probably wouldn't work for those with much more vertical than me (I'm 169 cm; 5'6.5").

Thanks for any advice or comments. (except for the part about me being a freak! )

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Don't worry, we're all about being freaks. It makes us special

If you like sleeping on the ground, I would suggest the openness of the ground goes totally against the confines of a short hammock like the HH.

Look around in your area and see if you can try a longer hammock in the 11 to 12 foot range. Also look into bridge style hammocks because they keep the hammock more open than a gathered end hammock.

The comfort of a hammock is first before you look into insulation.

Good luck finding the magical bliss we love in our hammocks. It's worth the trip for a lot of us.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    I didn't find consistent happiness until I got my bridge hammock. It's a Townsend (Justbill) big Luxury bridge. I had some great nights in a simple Trek Light Gear double, but it wasn't consistent. I couldn't make a Warbonnet work well. You probably need to experiment more. That said, people are not all the same. I can't sleep on the ground at all. Hammocks took me back outdoors again.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Haven't felt the magic

I had a Hennessy expedition, and I wasn't in love with it. I eventually purchased an 11 foot gathered end hammock, and it was way more comfortable. I'd recommend that you try out an 11 foot netless hammock(because they're very affordable) to see if it makes a difference for you. There are a few cottage vendors that make great netless hammocks. here's one that many here have recommended and love:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11ft-netless/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    As a former HH Expedition user, I can definitely say, length matters! I agree with Floridahanger, try an longer hammock to be more comfortable through the night.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It wasn't until I went backpacking and put in long days walking that the hammock spoke to me. It restored me and gave me 11 hours of straight sleep.
    It is my sleep machine in the woods.
    No magic involved.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 07-08-2018 at 10:05.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Respectfully, everyone always recommending a 11 foot hammock no matter the users height needs to stop. 11 feet is not some magic number. It’s not a cure all for every issue one may encounter, it’s just longer. He stated that he’s 5’66”. An Expedition is absolutely long enough. Everyone is different and has their own personal preferences and quirks. Not everything can be solved by 11’ hammocks.

Framjam, there’s a lot of ‘getting things dialed in” when it comes to hammock camping and there really aren’t any ‘rules’. Keep tweeking your set-up a bit until you find what works for you. Maybe checking hang angle, tree distance, raising the foot end slightly. In the end, it might not be for you, or maybe you just have to find the sweet spot.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I have several friends that tried hammocks and went back to the ground. Hammocking is certainly an individual thing. Hammock style, suspension etc. I sleep very well in my hammock, but I do not sleep my natural way. (Stomach/side). However for me the literal pain I have getting up and down off the ground is more than made up for by sleeping in a different manner. Oh and Shug is right again... Nothing like the support a hammock gives after a day on the trail with a pack.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I think that folks suggestions to “go longer” are made because that’s what has worked for them. GE hammocks are finicky beasts, especially for “active sleepers”. I started out in a HH and have tried many different types and designs until i found one that allows me to consistently get a good nights sleep.

Longer GE’s tend to be more forgiving for folks that move around. They have a bigger “sweet spot” and calf ridges tend not to be so severe. They are worth a try, DIY a table cloth hammock to see if moving in that direction would be right for you.

You may need to try a Bridge or one of the Hybrid hammocks (Draumr or Hammock Tent) if you find that a gathered end is not for you (many have).

As a Shug points out, a 10 or more mike hike will help anyone sleep better at night, even on the ground. But for nights where you have not had a great deal of physical exertion the day before, you may need to consider cutting off the caffeine earlier, use ear plugs and maybe even try some Benadryl to sleep through the night. If you spend slot of time in the woods, getting use to “wild sounds” can sometimes be a challenge.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. Share what you find works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Attend a group hang where you can check out a variety of different hammocks.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast