Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I can tell you that when i first picked up an ENO and tried it out in the back yard, i thought hammocker’s were nuts. Laying there with all that extra fabric flopping around in my face and what not. Then i started looking into YouTube for answers and caught the DIY bug. First i made a 10’ and it was much better, then an 11.5’ and it is perfect.

I purchased a Ridge Runner last year and just couldn’t get right until i noticed in one of Shug’s videos that a gentleman he was hiking with was using a pad. Now that i have tried the pad, I actually like the bridge hammock.

There is no one “Be-all, End-all” when it comes to hammocks. Rather for me it is now the whole experience that surrounds the Hammock. It’s kind of like owning a unicorn. No one believes or understands until they can truly experience it for themselves.

I think I’ll go hug a tree and thank it for all its support. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Just keep trying, you'll finally breahthru. https://youtu.be/_509Qkome7c

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    To your question about the pad, I would not use any sticky tape. Probably make a sticky mess. I would recommend trying an underquilt. Pads are often difficult especially if you move a lot.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

I actually am able to sleep very well on the ground (with a modest pad for insulation.) It wasn't discomfort that made me decide to try out a hammock as an alternative to a tent. I like being up out of dirt and wet. I like being able to not have to seek out a level, relatively smooth spot. I like the packable size and reduced weight as compared to a two-person tent. (My solo tent is claustrophobic.) The hammock is the answer for me when not camping with my wife.

I most often move around a bunch during the night. That said, there are many nights that I wake up in the morning and realize that I hardly stirred all night long. On the other hand, if I'm particularly restless, I can be a bit uncomfortable in the hammock as I shift positions. Probably even a bit more uncomfortable that if I had been on the ground. But more and more I find myself getting a good night's sleep. My hammock provides a ton of support and my bad back appreciates it.

I strongly disagree with the notion that an 11' hammock isn't usually better than a shorter one. All other things being equal, the longer hammock provide the opportunity for a flatter lay, a lay that may be crucial for some, regardless of height. No, 11' is not a "magic" number. (There are folks who are totally comfortable in a 10' or even a 9' hammock. That's great IF it works.) 20' would provide an incredibly flat lay. The only magic in 11', IMHO, is that it is flat enough for most people and going longer (again, for most people) either doesn't provide enough difference or is just totally impractical.

That said, not all 11' hammocks are created equal, as has been pointed out by others. It took me a while to be comfortable in mine and I know there are folks who can never get totally comfortable in the one I have but can do so in another brand. Maybe I'd be even more comfortable in something else(?)...

It is possible that you may never find a good fit. It's also possible that you just need to find the right product. As pointed out, a netless hammock can help you decide which direction of lay suits you, if indeed an asym hammock suits you at all. You'll need to ignore any sagging edge. That (mostly) goes away when the net is attached, less so with a non-asym net.

Hang in there! (Pun obviously intended.)
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-08-2018 at 10:29.

I like the ground when set up properly as i like a hammock when set up properly.
    Personally I prefer the bridge hammock. Do not give up, go to a group hang, get more information and find what works for you.
    Last year at John Rock Intimidator had a bridge, I tried it, and am a fan of the bridge now.

HYOH.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I think one of the easiest things to miss when you first start using a hammock is not getting the hang angle correct. If the hammock doesn't have enough sag (30 degree hang angle), it's hard to be able to lay in it on the diagonal (flat). I use to want to pick trees that were farther apart than what I needed, which made it more difficult to get the right hang angle.
    Bill

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    We started with really inexpensive ENO's... Way back in maybe 2003 or 04. I moved to a Hennessy. I sold my first HH without even trying it, the fabric was coarse and to my eyes ugly. I tried three different models. I had not any idea about left lay or right. just did not work for me.
    I tried almost all the hammocks. Finely I tried a British cottage hammock, the Green Hornet, it fit me great and I could exit it with some grace.

What works for me at 60 inches tall: RR, Simply Light Designs 10 fter., my Dream hammock Thunderbird (great sleep, exiting I need help). Lastly my Black Bird a 10 footer.

Back a few years ago, when this site was younger, cottage gear makers were few and we had a lot of engineer types posting who challenged every statement. There was a lot of talk about how to keep your under pad in place. Sealent in tiny dabs or lines helped keep the pad in place. Around that time short UQ became popular...

I find it interesting a few years of ago, when I was considering a bridge, many members posted about the RR and Bear Mountain Bridge were too tippy. Plus they were too narrow. Now those two considerations seem to have vanished.

A final note, some of the hammock designers have a special way to pleat or wrap their GE hammocks.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 07-08-2018 at 11:13. Reason: Zillion typos

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Try a longer hammock and if you've never hung in a bridge hammock give that a try as well. I was about to give up as I just can't get comfortable in a gathered end hammock. I can make it through the night and it's a lot better than sleeping on the ground but once I discovered the Warbonnet Ridgerunner it was a game changer for me. You hardly have to worry about the hang angle as it's just hang the straps about eye high, there's absolutely no adjustments for the manufactures under quilt as it attaches at 4 corners and your done. That's it. Some find them a bit narrow but for me it was a game changer.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I actually am able to sleep very well on the ground (with a modest pad for insulation.) It wasn't discomfort that made me decide to try out a hammock as an alternative to a tent. I like being up out of dirt and wet. I like being able to not have to seek out a level, relatively smooth spot. I like the packable size and reduced weight as compared to a two-person tent. (My solo tent is claustrophobic.) The hammock is the answer for me when not camping with my wife.
    For me as well, exactly this. I will never sleep in a hammock as well as I sleep on the ground and I've tried just about every hammock combo that exists...literally. I wake up the first night several times regardless. And as Shug says, by the time I've done a second day of walking miles my body is going to take over and say enough we're sleeping tonight. However all the other considerations make it worth it to me. I just can't give up hammocks because I just don't like being on the ground, besides the wet, dirt, dust and low crawling, I also like giving up a pad as a weak point e.g. holes etc.
    Last edited by alifeoutdoors; 07-08-2018 at 11:09.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first hammock was a Hennessey and I found it very uncomfortable - constant calf cramps. I didn't like the 70D Oxford nylon fabric either. And yes, when I switched to an 11 ft. hammock calf cramps ceased and I slept like a baby.

Of course, I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs., and I definitely consider the length of the Hennessy to be a primary factor in my uncomfortableness. Also, I was using pads back then, and you can't get much more uncomfortable than a pad!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast