Hammock
    Dutchware 1.6 Hexon Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    You e got me thinking hard about a ridgerunner!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by airoot View Post
    You e got me thinking hard about a ridgerunner!
    You should give one a try as they are comfortable and I love the fact that my stuff on the inside of my RR doesn't fall out or slide to the center as I climb in. I just shove my stuff into one of the saddle bags and it's out of the way.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I wonder if those who prefer bridges haven't been able or willing to give GEs enough nights back to back to stop feeling weird?
    It's not that folks who sleep in a bridge haven't used a GE hammock (most of us have -- a lot), it's just that a GE has issues that, while they can be mitigated or overcome, a bridge doesn't have.

It's almost impossible to have hyperflexing in a bridge. The same goes for a calf ridge. If you like to sleep on your side, a GE has fabric right in your face.

A lot of GE uses get used to these problems and forget they are really problems or they figure out a way around the problem, like stuffing a sack of clothes under their knees.

I have a lot of GE hammocks and I still like pitching them for relaxation but for a good night of no-fuss-no-muss setup, I prefer a bridge.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I wonder if those who prefer bridges haven't been able or willing to give GEs enough nights back to back to stop feeling weird?
    I personally want to like gathered end hammocks as they are lighter and have a ridge line to hang my HangTime hook to but I tried again this weekend and I couldn't for the life of me get comfortable in my Chameleon and ended up getting less than a couple of hours of sleep. Add that I can't get comfortable to the fact that every thing falls to the center of a GE hammock, plus I can't see out of 1/2 the hammock and I just can't make these work for me. I'll always experiment but when I have to get a good nights sleep I will only consider taking my Ridge Runner.
    Last edited by TrailSlug; 10-15-2018 at 13:32.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I personally want to like gathered end hammocks as they are lighter and have a ridge line to hang my HangTime hook to but I tried again this weekend and I couldn't for the life of me get comfortable in my Chameleon and ended up getting less than a couple of hours of sleep. Add that I can't get comfortable to the fact that every thing falls to the center of a GE hammock, plus I can't see out of 1/2 the hammock and I just can't make these work for me. I'll always experiment but when I have to get a good nights sleep I will only consider taking my Ridge Runner.
    You sound like an ideal candidate for one of Just Bill's bridges. Most of them are lighter than the RR, and they have a ridgeline.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Torbs View Post
    Have been thinking about the Ridgerunner, but I usually side sleep in the fetal position. I know it tapers in toward the middle. Does this make it difficult to side sleep in the fetal position?
    I sleep fetal in the RR and it works great for me. I'm only about 5'8" but but a heavy lifter and close to 200 pounds so not "small". I enjoy lounging in a GE hammock and an afternoon nap is nice but for overnight me and the RR are exclusive...
    -DC

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    I get what some are saying about the sides of the RR, and agree. I'm able to make it work though on my side.

I also have a 90 degree like above and can compare a bit.

I didn't think it'd get any better than the 90 degree for comfort, small packing and the bullet proof tarp. Then, I got a RR. For me, it isn't as comfortable as the 90 degree, mostly thanks to those low sides that don't allow me to get into the full fetal that I have no problem with in the 90 degree.

BUT, the RR is just so **** livable, while being almost as comfortable as the 90 degree. While the 90degree tarp fits the hammock like a glove, the cloudburst fits the RR oversized. It's massive. As in, hammock setup, tarp in porch mode, all my crap under the tarp, with a camp chair in the pouring rain and all is good massive.

Getting in/out of the RR is as simple as flipping your legs over and standing up, while the 90 degree has you bouncing off the front of the tarp.

For pure comfort, the 90 degree is better for me, and if I was a gram counting hiker, it'd be the obvious choice, but as a motorcyclist more concerned with pack size, the massive RR setup isn't all that much bigger. Alright, it's bigger, but it stuffs better.

I like both, and don't think I could choose between the two. Fortunately, I don't need to.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
    Hey Jim,
    When you choose the 90 for "pure comfort", is that with a pad, or with some sort of UQ ( or inner quilt, in the pad pocket) you have rigged? If without a pad, and especially with a traditional UQ, how does that work when you go to fetal and the length collapses? Does the UQ still work?

If you feel the 90 wins for "pure comfort" even using a pad, that is impressive. BTW, I also have both, as well as JRB bridges, and I am in the process of deciding which is best over all. But one thing: it is so easy for me to stay warm in any of my bridges, via UQs or pad or both. Just always easy.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Luke's 90* is too lightweight for me, but I honestly don't think you can get a whole lot more comfortable than a 90 degree (luke's, Amok Draumr, etc).

it's like suspending an air mattress, but it has just a bit of extra give at the hips. zero shoulder squeeze

all that being said, I also want a ridgerunner, cause I think they're awesome and would just like one, heh

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey Jim,
    When you choose the 90 for "pure comfort", is that with a pad, or with some sort of UQ ( or inner quilt, in the pad pocket) you have rigged? If without a pad, and especially with a traditional UQ, how does that work when you go to fetal and the length collapses? Does the UQ still work?

If you feel the 90 wins for "pure comfort" even using a pad, that is impressive. BTW, I also have both, as well as JRB bridges, and I am in the process of deciding which is best over all. But one thing: it is so easy for me to stay warm in any of my bridges, via UQs or pad or both. Just always easy.
    I use a Exped mat in the 90 degree. It spreads the hammock out and doesn't allow it to accordion. Love it.
    same pad in the RR, but lately I've been using a Nemo pad in the RR and that is awesome. Really spreads the hammock out wider. That pad does the same in the 90 degree, except it tends to bend at the knees and I fight it. YMMV.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 wide netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Bandit / JRB
    Suspension
    dependes
    This truly is a feature that makes the ridge runner great and is an incontinence with a gathered end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast