Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up *** Review*** Warbonnet Ridgerunner

Here's my review of the RR. I got mine brand new off of Ebay for $140. My first full night in it was the best sleep I've had in a hammock yet and I sleep really good in my diy argon 1.6, so that's saying a lot. In this review I have my diy Snugpak Jungle Blanket UQ on for a test fit , as well as my overstuffed CDT UQ, both quilts fit great. Lemme know if you have any questions, tips, tricks or comments. Thanks for watching, and if you've never tried a bridge, def check one out if you ever get the chance, you'll be amazed at the comfort like I was ! ~ Chesapeake

" The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    My wife has finally given her seal of approval on her WBRR. She slept really well in it on our last backpacking trip. I've laid in it but haven't tried to sleep in it yet, maybe she'll let me try it one day lol.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    My wife has finally given her seal of approval on her WBRR. She slept really well in it on our last backpacking trip. I've laid in it but haven't tried to sleep in it yet, maybe she'll let me try it one day lol.
    You won't be disappointed ! It's amazing just how flat it really is. Not having a huge wall of fabric beside you and the netting way up off your face make a huge difference as well. For me anyway, there's no shoulder squeeze, no need to adjust to find the "sweet spot" , and absolutely ZERO calf ridge. It's hard for me to get the recommended 20-25° hangle with the trees In my yard, but it's close and I'm perfectly situated inside right now regardless. My feet could be a touch higher, but it's definitely super flat and comfortable. Like I said in another post , not having a RL is the only thing I miss from a GE, but the saddlebags make up for it. I might copy the the net storage pouch that's at the foot end and add one to the head end for smaller things like a headlamp and other smallish items . But other than that, I haven't found a single thing I don't like about it. The low sides allow for a much better 360° view, and let the breeze flow though extremely well.... Which feels amazing on a 57°, low humidity night like tonight here looking out at the bay. I use my winter cover and winter sock a lot so I might get a spindrift for it too since WB has some in the home section for $25 off. So yeah, you'll definitely want to switch to a bridge once you get it, especially for hanging at home.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've been a Warbonnet Ridgerunner evangelist from the first night I slept in one. It's not for everyone but everyone should try one out at least once. Glad you like yours now get that Lynx.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    and absolutely ZERO calf ridge.
    The complete elimination of calf ridge cannot be understated. Even though the bridge with spreader bars is going to be significantly more weight to carry backpacking, the leg comfort at night may be worth those extra ounces.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    Bridges will never be as light is some of the lightest weight gathered end hammocks, but I got mine pretty close to the weight of my dream Hammock sparrow and super fly combo. Carbon spreader bars cut the bar weight in half, bridge uq are lighter too. I also ditched the stock buckle suspension for a lighter weight whoopies. My cloudburst was lighter than my Superfly and my new custom Hammock gear dyneema 13’ winter palace is a few oz lighter than that. Granted all that will put a hurt on your wallet. So nice to have no calf ridge, knee hyperextension or heel pressure. A simple under quilt set up that fits without gaps every single time not to mention three 180° views from the rr and I’m not having to be forced into a given lay direction.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Agreed, not having all the negs from a GE is gonna make it hard to go back when I need to lighten up for a hike! Until I lighten the RR that is lol. But for now I'm sure I can find a way to shave a few oz's elsewhere if I really want to lug it out with me. Using the CDT w/ UQP last night was perfect, no gusts between me and the UQ like with the jungle blanket UQ. It got down to 56° and was fairly windy all night, usually it does down after midnight. Having the low sides let the cool air blow through and across me while I was snug in my 40° econ Burrow was pure hammock bliss lol. I had my tarp in skins but didn't need to deploy since it was crystal all night. Tonight is gonna be about the same with slightly more humidity, but the breeze is keeping it nice and cool so far. Loving the bridge!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I've been a Warbonnet Ridgerunner evangelist from the first night I slept in one. It's not for everyone but everyone should try one out at least once. Glad you like yours now get that Lynx.
    I’m with TrailSlug. I’ve tried the XLC (twice in the 1.1 double and 1.7single layer), and the standard width and wide versions of the Chameleon and go back to the Ridgerunner every time. No calf ridge is huge for me and probably the key reason I can’t get comfy in a gathered end. Another plus is the Ridgerunner isn’t particularly finicky to hang. Yes, the bit more weight is a downside, but I look at it that the improved night’s sleep is worth it. (And if you compare straight across with say the XLC or Chameleon it’s not that big a difference in weight.)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    There is a small weight penalty with a bridge hammock but the comfort factor more than makes up for it. I found it pretty easy to reduce weight in other areas of my gear so my overall pack weight stayed low. I'm always trying out new gear and changing things around but my Ridgerunner is one of the few constants in my set-up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    The complete elimination of calf ridge cannot be understated. Even though the bridge with spreader bars is going to be significantly more weight to carry backpacking, the leg comfort at night may be worth those extra ounces.
    It seems to be close to a consensus: The benefit of zero calf ridge, no matte how you hang it or how you lay in it(or any bridge) can not be overstated. For me, as I am very prone to that problem in ALL GE hammocks a little or a lot, it is such a huge factor that it pretty much outweighs several advantages that GEs have in other areas. The only really close call I have when trying to choose for a back country trip is a Claytor No Net (ALMOST guaranteed no calf ridge) surrounded by a Speer Pea Pod.

However, I need to get out there and more consistently use a big knee pillow with the Claytor and other GEs. If that really stops the calf ridge problem, then maybe I might again choose GE over bridge. But I will still prefer the bridge's way to deal with this, no extra pillows needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast