Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

AT through the Smokies and go to ground scenario

So I've started planning my next AT section of Fontanna to Davenport. It is possible that I'll split this into 2 trips depending on time but the plan for now is to do it in one big chunk. I know all the regulations in the smokies and have hiked there before so the plan is to sleep in the shelters. In all my backpacking I have never actually spent a night inside an AT shelter despite camping at them up and down the AT.

My concern is if we get to a shelter and it is full we obviously have to have other arrangements. I'm planning on leaving my hammock at home and carrying a sleeping pad and bag for shelter sleeping. We are going in August so the bubble is long past but it is still the smokies. My plan is, and this is where I was hoping for a little feedback was to bring my HG cuben tarp with doors and a piece of tyvek for a ground cloth and in a worst case scenario use that as a cozy shelter for the two of us if we cannot fit in the shelter.

I am also considering carrying my ENO sub 7 as a lightweight backup as well but that wouldn't be ideal either as it lacks bug protection and using it with a sleeping pad could be interesting. I have a z-lite egg crate pad.

I'm trying to save as much weight as possible as carrying my full hammock set up knowing I probably won't need it just seems wasteful. Thanks for all the help guys.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I think your plan to carry the tarp and some Tyvek sounds like a good backup plan. Lightweight too. Add the sleeping pads you already will be carrying and you can camp under the tarp in a pinch.

You’ll have reservations and by rule have rights to a space in the shelter, so it seems like pretty small odds you won’t be able to camp in one (I.e. big rainstorm combined with GSMNP thru hikers leading to a full shelter with people not caring if you have a reservation ).

Let us know how it goes. I want to do that section but also don’t want to because of the shelters.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out Evan's Backpacking Videos. He's on the AT as we speak and is sleeping with a tarp and bug bivy and a piece of reflectix as his pad. This is one touch guy to be able to do this. You could add a sleeping pad and be set either way.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
    My plan is, and this is where I was hoping for a little feedback was to bring my HG cuben tarp with doors and a piece of tyvek for a ground cloth and in a worst case scenario use that as a cozy shelter for the two of us if we cannot fit in the shelter.
    That's a good plan. Everybody talks about shelters, but you need some sort of shelter in case you don't make it to a shelter due to injury, illness, weather, whatever. I thru'd the GSMNP in April of '05 and had no problems with finding room in each shelter I had reservations for (though it could happen, yes).

If I recall, I did what you plan (carried a tarp just in case). BTW, absent really severe weather, I bet some hikers in a shelter would be happy to give their spots to you and have a good excuse to camp outside the shelter.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Just hiked the Smokies last weekend and carried a tarp and ground cloth. Never needed it. Plenty of room in each shelter even with arriving around 6 each evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts