Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded

10 x 10 Tarp ridgeline & guylines-is this setup ok?

Can I get a sanity check so I know if this is an acceptable secure and uncomplicated setup for a 10x10 silpoly or silnylon tarp? Yeah, I'm a gounder, but you hammock folks really have the experience I want to tap. Initially I'll use a 9x9 poly tarp to see how this works out for me for hanging out in bad weather and occasional sleep shelter instead of the tent.

Does it makes sense to use a ridgeline under my tarp to help keep it shaped and from collapsing in the wind, or is that just going to wear a hole in the sil tarp? Are the cords I have going to do the job or should I invest is more premium cord? I really don't want to go out in the rain to tighten up my tarp either, so if getting it right means buying more premium cord I'll do that.

Wherever possible I want to use softshackels, prusiks, taut line hitches, instead of tying or using hardware. I have some Lawson Equipment glowire, about 600 ft of 1/16 inch Atwood utility cord good for about 100 lbs test though it's stretchy, paracord (ugh bulky and heavy) and groundhog stakes.

Dutchware looks really useful, and I'm a Lawson fan, but that's premium luxury stuff.

My expected pitches are: lean-to and windsheds, simple diamond fly, maybe a more or less flat cannopy(BWCAW base camp) - the fast easy pitches.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Don’t put your ridgeline under your tarp. It’s a possible route for moisture to run down the ridgeline and drip.

If you do a ridgeline run it above and attach the tarp with your soft shackles.

I personally don’t use a ridgeline. I use tieouts attached with soft shackles instead. I have Dutch hooks spliced on the ends, and they’re cheap for the job they do.

Don’t use stretchy cord!

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension

10 x 10 Tarp ridgeline & guylines-is this setup ok?

IYO a ridgeline has less structural advantage than the risk of rain traveling down into my dry area. I’m so used to cross poles supporting everything l will have to try no-ridgeline a few times getting used to it.

Not having that line might just simplify setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Many of us "hangers" use a continuous ridge line so we can easily center our tarps over our hammock. You really wouldn't benefit from this configuration as you can just move under the tarp. The easiest for your scenario would be two lines on each end unless you expect snow then the ridge line under the tarp can assist in the structural integrity when there's not a danger of water running down the line. The wear and tear is just what happens when you use these tarps.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    Looks like rain next Saturday night, I’ll another try this time without the ridge line. A week ago I setup in the backyard during a windy downpour and didn’t notice any dripping, but everything was so wet I might not have noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

• + New Posts