Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Tarp

Winter Tarp

I've been using a 12' Wilderness Logics Tadpole tarp for the last few years and absolutely love the performance of the tarp. Thinking about a winter tarp and comparing the Superfly with the WinterDream 11'. Looks like the biggest difference between the two (I'd choose the same color in the WinterDream as the Superfly so color choices are not a consideration) is: Superfly is 4" wider and the Winterdream has velcro on the doors. Is that about it? Thanks.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Winter Tarp

you nailed it. both of those tarps are excellent choices. I'd recommend that you take a look at The Journey winter tarp from hammock gear. I think I'd choose the hammock gear tarp because of the extra pull out in the center on both sides, and it's a couple dollars cheaper too.

Great choices! You might also want to check out the Simply Light Designs Winter Haven, since there's tons of different options available. I've had mine for a couple years and it's never let me down.

Thank you. I appreciate it

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I recommend KAM snaps on the doors over Velcro or OmniTape.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Winter Haven 13' with 3 internal poles. DSC08957.jpg
    DSC08954.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Winterdream use snaps, not velcro. All UGQ tarps also have grosgrain tape running along the entire perimeter instead of just the ridgeline. I don’t know of anyone else that does this. I think it looks sharp and better than the reinforced corners look. They also let you choose what color to make the ridge/edge tape. UGQ also offers an ultralight fabric option (.93/oz 15d Sil/PU coated Taffeta Polyester) that I don’t believe you can get elsewhere. UGQ is one of the few that will seam seal it for you as well, if you like.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As long as you like your Tadpole, why not consider the WildernessLogics Old Man Winter. It is one of the few that can be ordered "oversized" (over length'd) to span a Ridge Runner (13 ft) and still close the doors.

I'd prefer snaps (don' t think that was an option with OMW) but got velcro. The issue is the sound of opening closing velcro - especially at night or early morning. It is not unusual to also have a tent when I camp - a Plan B backup. It is handy to store gear (kayak dry bags) and women folk like the privacy option for clothes changing. The game is, how many times will the door be zipped/unzipped. At times it seems like every 5 minutes there's the ZZZZ sound of the zipper. There's a similar issue when car camping - how many times am I going to open/close that car door (slam, slam, slam, slam, slam). I've finally learned I can sort of press it closed enough so the dome light goes out, but I don't have to actually latch it until the last time it's closed for the night. Or the second to the last time because something always comes up. Or the third to the last time because .....

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    If you want closures I recommend kam snaps. I have two winter tarps and both have them and they work well. They are not necessary though you can just overlap the doors and to be honest I do that more than using the snaps. I can sneak between the seams and water the flora when required.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Winterdream use snaps, not velcro. All UGQ tarps also have grosgrain tape running along the entire perimeter instead of just the ridgeline. I don’t know of anyone else that does this. I think it looks sharp and better than the reinforced corners look. They also let you choose what color to make the ridge/edge tape. UGQ also offers an ultralight fabric option (.93/oz 15d Sil/PU coated Taffeta Polyester) that I don’t believe you can get elsewhere. UGQ is one of the few that will seam seal it for you as well, if you like.
    I have a fairly new Winterdream that is exactly as HandyRandy describes. The door snaps used are plastic, easy to fasten and very secure once fastened. The snaps were actually a major factor for my decision to go with the Winterdream.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast