Klymit
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Klymit Straps

Scouter Dad

Hello everyone from the Cincinnati, Ohio area. I have 2 boys in Boy Scouts and after 4 years of lugging a tent, heavy cot, sleeping bag, etc. I am looking to get into hammocking and lighten my load. My oldest scout loves to hammock and his brother is starting to hammock this year. We leave this Saturday for a 7 day summer camp which will give me enough time to really give it a go. I have lower back issues so I've really been poking around to figure out how to set it up for a good nights rest. I'm open to suggestions and experiences.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Give it plenty of practice in the back yard before heading out to a camp... find out what works, what you need practice with, etc.
    Can't really address more w/ what you've shared. Think about how your setup will handle: Wind, Rain, Heat, Cold, Mosquitos, etc...

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    When I first stated I just jumped in and learned by trial and error. If I had known better I would have done more research before as it would have saved me some headache.

This forum is a great place to start that. Shug’s videos taught me a lot and kept me entertained at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice02 View Post
    Hello everyone from the Cincinnati, Ohio area. I have 2 boys in Boy Scouts and after 4 years of lugging a tent, heavy cot, sleeping bag, etc. I am looking to get into hammocking and lighten my load. My oldest scout loves to hammock and his brother is starting to hammock this year. We leave this Saturday for a 7 day summer camp which will give me enough time to really give it a go. I have lower back issues so I've really been poking around to figure out how to set it up for a good nights rest. I'm open to suggestions and experiences.
    I just got back from scout summer camp in our council. I gave up the cabin tent they had for adults, and set up a hammock camping area about 20 yards from our troop camp site. It was great, and I hope you can figure it out.

It would be nice to know what equipment you have. What hammocks; what tarps; what suspension? I have a Hennessy Expedition Zip, a Kelty Noah 12, and use a suspension made up of polyester tree straps and whoopie slings connected with a marlin spike hitch. Most of the scouts I see have an ENO single nest hammock, a no name tarp, and some brand of straps with the multiple loops sown in.

I do support the idea of setting your hammock and tarp up in the back yard first. That way you can know if there is any piece of cordage you don't have, or if your straps are good enough, or if the tarp really covers the hammock. There is some experimentation involved.

Good luck and have some fun out there.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I too am a Scouter and my first attempt at hammock camping was a week long trip to Gettysburg with the Troop. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. I have not slept in a tent now in almost 4 years and camp with the scouts/family 7-10 times a year. I prefer to research and then jump in learning what works for me trial and error. I say go far it next week at Camp, your worst case scenario is that you move into a platform tent for a night or two while you tweak your setup.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Bring your cot as well - set it up as a bailout option if you can't sleep. It's also easier to maintain privacy if you change in a tent.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    For many, but not all—
    Shorter and narrower hammocks, are less comfortable than longer and wider hammocks.
    For more information on above, search Calf Ridge Pressure. CRP happens!

Insulation, especially insulation underneath is a necessity anytime night low temperatures are 65 to 70. Hard to believe? Yes. True Yes. For more information on above, search Cold Butt Syndrome
    CBS happens!

You gonna love hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    RSBTR DIY Kit
    Suspension
    Breeze Buckles
    Fellow Scouter here as well. I started hanging nine years ago and haven't gone to ground since. My first hammock was a DIY gathered end hammock that I tested for 5 minutes in a local park before heading out on a week long outing on an island base camp. Now my two boys that are in scouts rarely go to ground as well. We head out next week for summer camp and along with us three there are two or three others hanging in our camp. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Yep my family is done with the ground too. I'm in Louisville Ky and we have our annual family Oct hang coming up soon. Lots of DIY and other gear to check out. We always have some spare equipment if you need it too. Be good to have you and yours if you can make it.
    Last edited by BigE94; 07-26-2018 at 15:02.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

• + New Posts