Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Very smart to order now — won't be weeping and wailing about the wait time come November!

It's hard to go wrong with just about any of the excellent vendors, however I must say I'm super happy with my HG Incubator. Mine is a 0deg and I use it when temps are lower than 20 degrees. Above that, I am fine with my 20deg shortie (55") Enlightened Equipment Revolt, although that isn't going to suffice for most people.

I try to embrace all seasons/conditions but must admit that heat/humidity make it hard to remain positive.
    +1. I've been beyond satisfied with all of my HG quilts. My old 0° set was cozy warm at -1°F and so far my new -10°F set was still warm @ -17°F with a wind chill of -25°F. Now I've got a 40° econ Burrow for me and one my wife, both are equally as amazing. Also, I'm about to order a custom quilt to fit my 6yo daughter since she has started hanging with me now and we do a lot of camping on our own, and with her scout troop. HG , Harry especially, have always gone above and beyond Every time I've ordered a custom quilt. It all comes down to personal preference thoough , you'd be hard pressed to find any negative feedback on any of the cottage manufacturers. One tip though , and it's very important ~ get a quilt that is rated 10° colder than the lowest temp you will use it for, that way you have a 10° buffer if it gets colder than expected. Following this rule of thumb has saved many of us from a cold, miserable night!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Loco Libre

My Loco Libre California Reaper kept me warm down to -14 last winter. Nothing bad to say about it.

I also have a 50 degree and was warm to 25 degrees. I sleep in a thin but quality base layer on top and bottom mostly for night time potty breaks and to keep things clean.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Here in New Hamshire, it has been in the 90s and muggy for near a week now with the nightly lows where I would love the daily highs to be. I sleep outside in my hammock every night and I had to resort to desperate measures by start using one of those little USB desk fans hung from the ridgeline powered by a battery charger to blow fake cool air on my face. While I love the warm weather because my arthritic joints work better, I find I am able to accomplish much more when the temps drop. I slept out in the hammock last winter when it was -10* out and was way comfier than I am this week!

Next camping trip? This weekend, actually...I am part of a Facebook ground called the Obnoxious Hikers (just think of not politically correct bunch of nice people that love to be out there in the wild). The campground we are congregating doesn't sanction hammocks but said if a few people with backpacks walk through their respective campsites into the woods and do not return until morning, they "didn't see up go by"--I love small town U.S.A.

I try to just live while alive every day...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I never camp in the heat, but I'm going to try at the end of July. Actually, it will just be an hour hike in then base camp, so not a big deal. The mosquitoes are the only thing that worries me. I've been trying new/more products to combat them so it will be a good test.

Regarding the heat, this summer I started trying to acclimatize myself to it. Doing day hikes, sitting on the deck in the evening (but with a Beam & Coke), waxing my car yesterday (93°, calm and humid), etc. It's just not my thing, but maybe I can eventually learn to like it more.

I'm looking forward to opening the windows this weekend and getting that 53° air into the house!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I never camp in the heat, but I'm going to try at the end of July. Actually, it will just be an hour hike in then base camp, so not a big deal. The mosquitoes are the only thing that worries me. I've been trying new/more products to combat them so it will be a good test.

Regarding the heat, this summer I started trying to acclimatize myself to it. Doing day hikes, sitting on the deck in the evening (but with a Beam & Coke), waxing my car yesterday (93°, calm and humid), etc. It's just not my thing, but maybe I can eventually learn to like it more.

I'm looking forward to opening the windows this weekend and getting that 53° air into the house!
    I only wish it was gonna be that cool here this weekend lol....I think I am gonna go hide in a cave

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    ....I think I am gonna go hide in a cave
    I do hide out in my cave, or 65° basement, often. If I get lung cancer from radon, so be it.

I'm ready for colder weather. Last night it was 79 degrees at about 10 o'clock. We are in the upper peninsula visiting my in laws (no air conditioning at the cabin). I offered to sleep outside as I conveniently brought my hammock and there were some trees down by the lake with my name on them. The wife didn't go for that since our youngest of 2 years has been sick and not sleeping well. Maybe it'll work out tonight. One thing I do miss from living in Colorado was if it was too hot in town, you could always do a quick overnight in the mountains.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I do hide out in my cave, or 65° basement, often. If I get lung cancer from radon, so be it.
    Lol I dont have a basement but Kentucky has many wild cave networks that I love

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE
    With this heat and humidity here in Ohio, I'm not hanging anywhere but in my basement. Seriously, yesterday I went outside in the shade at 9 AM and I was SWEATING, in the shade! So I spent a lot of the day hanging in my basement watching Shug's winter camping videos I would much rather bundle up than be a sweltering mess with no relief. I'm okay with heat, but mix it with high humidity, um, no thank you. But hey, HYOY, right?

Next planned trip is in late October, yay!
    Last edited by One-Sky; 07-05-2018 at 11:10.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Kuwait airport ramp temp 65C, Aug 1997. The crew refused to know the F conversion. Our performance manual only went to 50C....we were test pilots.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast