Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

People's Bridge Hammock - Reimagined

I'd like to start by thanking WV for posting his People's Bridge Hammock and updating the dimensions for side sleepers. I took his design and modified the dimensions a bit (consistent with his original ratios), added endcaps based on Hangnout's shock cord endcaps that also double as pockets, and added a partially sewn-on bugnet (zippers on the sides and the ends of the bugnet hang in the endcap pockets). The biggest change from WV's design was to use webbing directly sewn to the hammock body. I realize one of WV's design avoided webbing because of the difficulty of lining it up equally at both ends, but I think the endcap design takes care of this since there are common ends to measure against though you still need to sew the webbing on in stages.

The dimensions of the bridge are:
    Head end: 52"
    Foot end: 37.5"
    Head end spreader bar: 36"
    Foot end spreader bar: 25"
    Length: 81" (though it ends up being about 80" when hung)
    Center width: 28.5"

The hammock was made out of Dutch's Hexon 1.6, nano noseeum mesh, and camo webbing. The endcaps are supported using 1/16" shock cord. The zippers are #5 molded plastic zippers that are triple stitched to the sides of the hammock body.

Here are the results after several design iterations:

IMG_0003.jpg
    All 4 endcaps before sewing a channel hem on the curve.

IMG_0009.jpg
    The two endcaps prior to being sewn to the end of the hammock. You can see the channel sewn into the endcap.

IMG_0053.jpg
    The hammock body laid out before sewing on the side zippers. You can see the double endcaps at the foot end of the hammock.

IMG_3067.jpg
    The foot endcap/pocket with the end of the bugnet inside the pocket.

IMG_3061.jpg
    Empty hammock with a Leighlo UQ.

IMG_3080.jpgIMG_3081.jpg
    Hammock with someone in it.

The finished hammock weighs 1 lb, 4 oz including the suspension triangles (made of 7/64" Amsteel) and the ridgeline. The spreader bars weigh an additional 8.2 oz. I think I can get the hammock down to under 1 lb by using Argon 67 for the end caps, #3 coil zippers, and Dutch's new Spider 1.5 webbing.

I've only been able to test it for one night, but I was able to sleep comfortably on my side almost in more of a fetal position than my gathered end hammock while still being able to use my existing Leighlo UQ. I need to experiment with the design in colder weather to see how well my UQ seals underneath my knees. Unfortunately it only got down to 60 degrees when I tested the hammock the other day.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Looks really nice, you did a great job, congratulations! Keep us posted on your testing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks! Unfortunately I'm in the process of moving right now so I won't be able to do some dedicated testing for a month or two.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice looking hammock! It's great to see ideas branching out from other ideas. This is significantly different from my PBH in a few ways, but in no way inferior. I learned things from your well-documented post, Dave-O. I now have a better understanding of Hangnout's end caps, for one thing. I need some explanation of photo 3, though. It shows the arc (a non-PBH feature!) of the camo webbing with the narrowest part under the knees (probably a PBH-inspired feature). I'm curious about the crescents of fabric outside the straps on each side. Do they get cut off, or are the bugnet zippers sewn to the outside edges?
    I hope your move goes well, and kudos to others in your household for putting up with the DIY spirit at moving time. (DAMHIK.)

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Nice looking hammock!
    Thanks! That's great coming from such an innovator.

I need some explanation of photo 3, though. It shows the arc (a non-PBH feature!) of the camo webbing with the narrowest part under the knees (probably a PBH-inspired feature). I'm curious about the crescents of fabric outside the straps on each side. Do they get cut off, or are the bugnet zippers sewn to the outside edges?
    I had every intention of installing the cord channels as specified in the original PBH design with some minor tweaks. However, after thinking about it for a while I just figured it would be easier to sew the webbing directly to the hammock. Though finishing the ends of the webbing is definitely labor intensive.

The zipper is sewn to the edges of the leftover fabric that you're referencing. I didn't take a picture of the finished design, but here's a picture of the zipper being sewn to the hammock body.

IMG_0056.jpg

I add a 1.5" seam allowance to each side of the hammock to attach the zipper using the 3 stitch method that Dutch mentioned in one of his videos (after much experimentation to reverse engineer it). You probably could get away with a 1" seam allowance if you're careful, but I didn't want the zipper to get too close to the webbing or the endcaps at the ends of the hammock. Here's a picture of the zipper and the webbing at the end.

IMG_0058.jpg

The extra fabric was meant to solve two potential issues though it appears that only one really worked. The extra width was meant to make the hammock wide enough in the hopes that my Leighlo UQ would seal better along the mid-section of the hammock. This is not the case since the extra material just slants inward from the pull of the bugnet and the UQ still rides up very high past the arcs of the suspension webbing as seen in this photo, which is why I think I'm going to end up making my own UQ.

IMG_3086.jpg

The extra material did alleviate the stress on the bugnet that GrizzlyAdams has experienced in the past. I believe he uses bias tape or left over fabric from the original hammock sewn to the hammock body to reduce the stress on the zipper. I can affirm that there isn't a lot of tension on the bugnet. In fact, my original bugnet was just a trapezoid with some extra fabric on the ends to go into the pockets, but it turned out there was too much material and not enough tension on the bugnet. So I cut parabolic curves before and after the shock cord attachment points that pull the bugnet up to the ridgeline. I didn't take a photo of the complete bugnet, but you can see the curve from this photo.

IMG_0069.jpg

I actually just reused the curves that I used to mark out the lines for the suspension webbing to mark out how much material to remove from my original bugnet design.

I hope your move goes well, and kudos to others in your household for putting up with the DIY spirit at moving time. (DAMHIK.)
    As crazy as it seems, DIY has actually helped reduce the stress from the move.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    This is great new stuff. Keep experimenting!

• + New Posts