Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Quick Release Ridge Line for Tarp

So on YouTube I stumbled accross Corporals Corner channel. He had some great tips for quick deploy ridge lines and a quick release method that is like a Marlin Spike Hitch only with a bowline knot : I am experimenting with quick deploy quick tear down set ups for when I is raining.
    https://youtu.be/Sipxc4jFI9s
    Works great on the end with the bowline but on the other end he was using a truckers hitch (awesome too if ya'll aren't using - and a self tensioning method that's the bomb)
    https://youtu.be/BJFNvO5I38Y
    Anyhow got me thinking there has to be a way to do something similar to both ends of the ridgeline. Anyone in here using something similar? Other ideas? What's everybody using for quick deploy/teardown?
    Also for those thinking about snake skins but you are on a budget or just want to try something but don't want to commit $$ to it till you know :
    https://youtu.be/GTUHwyzSY9U
    Leading to my last question - those of you using snake skins - how does one incorporate a Ridgeline into a snake skins configuration?
    As always thanks for the help

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The ridgeline just gets sucked right into the snakeskins.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    This is a pretty standard RL setup without hardware. Although paracord works it will stretch a bit. I would say most people on HF would recommend something like Zing It or Dynaglide to make sure your pitch stays taut all night long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The ridgeline just gets sucked right into the snakeskins.
    Shug

I should have known you had a video on this - thanks buddy I do believe WAAAAY back I watched both of these too.
    Looks like your tarp is the ridgeline in this set up. Is there a version where there is a fixed ridgeline and the tarp is connected by prusiks? Forgive this ignoramus I am a kinesthetic learner - see it then do it then practice it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTapeMessiah View Post
    This is a pretty standard RL setup without hardware. Although paracord works it will stretch a bit. I would say most people on HF would recommend something like Zing It or Dynaglide to make sure your pitch stays taut all night long.

Yeah I should have about 200' of Dynaglide and some reflective cordage I n my mailbox at the house - currently on vacation in the High Sierra's of California near Lake Tahoe. Principle should still be the same - not happy with current set up tear down I am using

Images
    This is basically the system I use, only with mini caribiners. I keep the tarp line in the bag with the tarp, but not attached.

The knot used in the video is the Truckie Hitch, not the Truckers Hitch. They serve the same purpose but are completely different knots. The Truckie hitch is a good knot for both split or continuous ridge lines.

Lately i have switched to just using a pre tied midshipman knot on the static end and that works well too. Continuous ridgelines don’t need crushing high tension on them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    This is basically the system I use, only with mini caribiners. I keep the tarp line in the bag with the tarp, but not attached.

The knot used in the video is the Truckie Hitch, not the Truckers Hitch. They serve the same purpose but are completely different knots. The Truckie hitch is a good knot for both split or continuous ridge lines.

Lately i have switched to just using a pre tied midshipman knot on the static end and that works well too. Continuous ridgelines don’t need crushing high tension on them.
    Yeah in the first video from Corporals Corner he uses truckers hitch (add another loop and it becomes a self tensioning hitch btw), but in the second video the truckie hitch is featured - this hitch is as you say better for loads but has an additional advantage in that it will release easily when wet, where in my limited experience - at least with Paracord type cordage - it will swell a bit when wet making it more difficult to undo sometimes specifically when temps near freezing and wet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Ok I found Shug's video on the continuous ridgeline/snakeskins set up - thanks Shug
    https://youtu.be/KKW4SqJWgto
    I guess I will need to "play with it" as Shug suggests - looks like he uses a bit of both systems.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Ok I found Shug's video on the continuous ridgeline/snakeskins set up - thanks Shug
    https://youtu.be/KKW4SqJWgto
    I guess I will need to "play with it" as Shug suggests - looks like he uses a bit of both systems.

I never use a continuous ridgeline. Tried it. Prefer two lines off of end of tarp. I use dutch wasps or fleaz for quick release.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Yeah I should have about 200' of Dynaglide and some reflective cordage I n my mailbox at the house - currently on vacation in the High Sierra's of California near Lake Tahoe. Principle should still be the same - not happy with current set up tear down I am using

I’m with you! I usually arrive at my camp at around 2-3 in the morning. Timely setup had always been imperative to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast