Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Too hot to hang ??

So with a "feels like" temp of 109° F , a dew point of 77° ,humidity of 70% and very little breeze off the water here at the head of the Chesapeake bay in northeastern Maryland today, and not much relief once the sun goes down, it's well past my comfort level for hanging. I haven't found my lower limit yet but once it gets past 70° as an overnight low with no wind to help with the high humidity inside my hammock I won't hang. If the humidity is low though,but it's still around 75° when I head out at night to go to sleep , ill hang just as long as there's a breeze and it cools off before the sun comes up. It's really the humidity that keeps me inside this time of year since I'm right on the water . So what's your " upper temp limit" ? What conditions are a no-go when it comes to hanging in the summer? Do you have any tricks to help when it's right on the border between YOUR comfortable and miserable ? Personally, since I have such a bug/spider problem here, I have to use a bug net until it's a frozen, artic tundra outside, so unless there's a nice breeze, if it's humid at all I won't hang lol. What say you????
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    70º F is my upper limit for nightly low temps. Above that and it's just miserable for me even with a portable fan. So generally that means no outdoor hammock joy for me in July or August. I do keep my eye out for weekends that may get cool enough but I don't get my hopes up.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    So with a "feels like" temp of 109° F , a dew point of 77° ,humidity of 70% and very little breeze off the water here at the head of the Chesapeake bay in northeastern Maryland today, and not much relief once the sun goes down, it's well past my comfort level for hanging. I haven't found my lower limit yet but once it gets past 70° as an overnight low with no wind to help with the high humidity inside my hammock I won't hang. If the humidity is low though,but it's still around 75° when I head out at night to go to sleep , ill hang just as long as there's a breeze and it cools off before the sun comes up. It's really the humidity that keeps me inside this time of year since I'm right on the water . So what's your " upper temp limit" ? What conditions are a no-go when it comes to hanging in the summer? Do you have any tricks to help when it's right on the border between YOUR comfortable and miserable ? Personally, since I have such a bug/spider problem here, I have to use a bug net until it's a frozen, artic tundra outside, so unless there's a nice breeze, if it's humid at all I won't hang lol. What say you????
    Hopefully a vacation isn't out of the question in the summer. Come out west and we"ll show you why Coloradoans have been voted the 10 most friendly states to visit

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's all about that humidity and dewpoint. I always knew this, being very uncomfortable even on humid 60° days, but when I finally went out west and experienced the "dry heat" it was pretty amazing. Surprisingly 105° wasn't bad at all. But you had to go for the shade!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Gosh, I've spent some sweltering nights in my hammock - no insulation of course - and all I can remember is being thankful I was in a hammock. Never wished I wasn't out there at all.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Gosh, I've spent some sweltering nights in my hammock - no insulation of course - and all I can remember is being thankful I was in a hammock. Never wished I wasn't out there at all.
    +1 on this... Nobody ever told me camping was about comfort. With a good bug net, whaDaHH*ll is a little heat.
    Now... I am not going if there is a real risk to my health, but I grew up in the Carolinas without A/C. Sweltering nights at a low of 85° didn't kill me then and the 78° uncomfortable last two nights here in Maine didn't either. If ugonna be uncomfortable and sweat in the heat, I'd rather do it outdoors, and a hammock makes it SO much better.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    It is pretty much never too hot to hang, IMHO. A hammock in the shade and the breeze always beats the couch or a bed in a non-AC home.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    It is pretty much never too hot to hang, IMHO. A hammock in the shade and the breeze always beats the couch or a bed in a non-AC home.
    Right on right on right on. Although as a Colorado boy raised in the dry heat.....
    High heat index of 109 has got to blow especially with high humidity

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    ...Although as a Colorado boy raised in the dry heat.....
    High heat index of 109 has got to blow especially with high humidity
    I hear you.

However, as a native of the muggy swamp known as Washington DC who has now resided in "the other Washington" for more than a quarter century, I find it quaint when folks here in the Pacific Northwest complain about heat and humidity. Where I live, it's as likely to be 55F as 85F during your Independence Day barbecue...

But hot and humid is still better in a hammock than anywhere else.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Well, it’s supposed the 78 degrees here at 11 pm with 90 percent humidity - I may give it a try. (About 20 miles north of the OP). Will report back if I do. Last summer I spent an August week at camp with the troop and managed just fine but we had pretty nice weather with just two nights above 70. Slept on top of a light blanket to stop the skeeters.

The mosquitoes are what will keep me in. I was getting bit right through my hammock last week!

JD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast