Homemade gathered end
    Tarp
    Overhead
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeiping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Rain & Wind Protection: Minifly vs "doors"

I'm in the market for a new tarp. I've been considering several options and I'd love to hear what you lovely people have to say.

What I have: A cheap tarp from Amazon. There's nothing wrong with it, structurally. The tarp has a ridge-line of 10'5", and I recent made myself a new hammock that's ~11.5 long (total) with a ridgeline of 9.5'. That gives me 6" on either end to play with, but that seems a little risky to me. I want something that offers a little more protection should a storm come. I guess my first question is: is 6" or so on each end enough coverage and am I just a wimp?

Option 1: Minifly

I like that the Minifly (and thunderfly) have the end beaks that provide extra coverage in the event of a storm. It's less coverage than full doors, but with a low pitch it'll probably do alright. My concern is how much protection those beaks add if the wind is blow parallel to the hammock instead of to the side (assuming no good hanging spots at a different angle).

Option 2: A longer tarp with more tie outs. I was thinking that maybe I'd rather have the option to create doors over the Minifly's beaks. Ideally the tarp would have 8-10 tie-outs, but if not I'd sew some extra ones on so that I could create doors if need be. This way I'd get more protection from the wind and the rain. Shug's latest video has as great example of this near the end.

Option 3: Sew extra tie outs to my current tarp. If 6" on either end is enough, I'm just as happy sew on more tie outs and save the money on a new tarp.

What would you do with these options? Is there an option 4 I haven't considered? (I'm not sure I'm in the market for a winter tarp w/ doors...yet)

Images
    Is weight an issue? Small tarps and taking the risk of getting wet in an unexpected storm is usually what the gram wheenies do.
    I'm a big boy and go to the gym 4 days a week I have no issues packing the extra weight of a proper tarp. There are may other places to cut the weight.

Hammock
    Homemade gathered end
    Tarp
    Overhead
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeiping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Weight isn't an issue. Out of curiosity I just did some comparing and current tarp weighs as much as a lightweight winter tarp. I'm not complaining, it was all I could afford at the time and it got me out.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Option 4: Go with a winter tarp. If I could only have one tarp, it would be an UGQ Winter Dream 12 footer.

You will not regret it. Especially when you get caught in a wicked storm.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Option 4: Go with a winter tarp. If I could only have one tarp, it would be an UGQ Winter Dream 12 footer.

You will not regret it. Especially when you get caught in a wicked storm.
    Do this first, then plan on getting a second tarp eventually. Something smaller and lighter for weekends like I have coming up - 92° and sunny...95° and sunny...mid 70s lows. Carrying more than I need in weather like that beats me down mentally, not physically.

Not that you will be hanging in that kind of crap weather...or will you? I guess the example doesn't need to be that extreme. Even on a dry and 75-80° trip, it's nice to be able to "match" the tarp to the weather.

Hammock
    Homemade gathered end
    Tarp
    Overhead
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeiping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Not that you will be hanging in that kind of crap weather...or will you?
    I'm not planning on camping through a hurricane, but the mountains in CO have been known to get some good storms at times. I guess I'm looking for a tarp for the majority of the time it's nice but with the ability to stay dry. I'm hoping to get out a lot this summer.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3bdulHazred View Post
    I'm not planning on camping through a hurricane, but the mountains in CO have been known to get some good storms at times. I guess I'm looking for a tarp for the majority of the time it's nice but with the ability to stay dry. I'm hoping to get out a lot this summer.
    I was referring to the heat, but I know some people like it...not me

I've stayed dry for years with a trap without doors. Then all of a sudden I got wet two trips back to back from unavoidable wind. I think it was mixing with snow at one point, which gets under the tarp and sort of "hovers". Those open ends really leave you exposed no matter how you hang it. I think even small doors like the Minifly would have saved me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I end up using my SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven on 9 out of 10 trips. It's light weight enough provides massive coverage and the doors can be flipped back if not needed but if the weather goes bad and it gets windy I'm covered and warm.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Option 4: Summer sock underquilt protector from Dutch.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    You just made the hammock... Why not make yourself a tarp as well.. make it from scratch and add doors any size you want or get a pre cut.. doors or not.

I did three traps over the winter.. One with doors, one with out. Both 12' ridge over an 11' hammy. Also made a diminutive asym.

More often than not I grab the one with doors.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast