Last weekend I was on the great Allegheny passage rail trail. I camped at the outflow campground there in confluence Pennsylvania because their website said they had Hammock Posts. There were 6 hammock posts in the hiker/biker designated area.

Now the bad news. Three of us were hammocking that night. All three of us could not properly put our hammocks and our tarps up. It turns out they post were slightly over three paces wide. That’s about 10 feet Max. The three of us had three different hammocks. We could not get the 30° angle on our straps. The Ranger said they installed them a couple years ago. How nobody’s complained about them.

The hiker/biker campsite was against the main driveway of the campground. Not only you heard every car driving past you within 20 feet, the headlights of every vehicle shined into everybody’s tent and tarp.

The good news now. It was only eight dollars a night. The showers were clean with hot water and free! It was noisy until 10 PM and then it quieted right down. The Ranger says they don’t turn away any hiker/bikers. The train air horns were at a minimum for the Great Allegheny passage.

When I get a chance I’m going to be emailing the outflow campground rangers and advise them about the posts being too close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk