Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

New idea for Whoopie hook system

Got my Whoopie system today and decided that instead of larks heading the whoopie to the tree hugger. I would instead larks head the continuous loop to the hugger. This gets rid of the carinbiner...as was my original intent and makes set-up much easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Where you would have needed a carabiner with the CL on the hammock and the whoopie on the hugger? I often use a similar setup (Whoopie Sling w/ Dutch Whoopie Hook on strap/hugger w/ larks head to CL on hammock) with no carabiners.

Hammock
    DIY 8.4 oz 11' Robic XL hammock
    Tarp
    1.1 oz silpoly hex
    Insulation
    900Fill 0* quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and UCRs
    Images
    I'm also a bit confused on what the function is here. With a typical setup, the whoopie hook already gets rid of the carabiner. You have your whoopie larksheaded to the hugger (or if you're like me you use a soft shackle there - I've found it's much easier to swap suspensions that way) and then you have your whoopie hook going from your whoopie to the continuous loop on the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Sorry, let me clarify. I had a whoopie set-up with carabiners. I purchased the whoopie hook set-up to get rid of the carabiners. By using the continuous loops on the tree huggers I don't need a dutch clip. Does that make more sense? On this hammock I will always use only whoopies.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A separate continuous loop is unnecessary and just adds length (meaning more space between trees is required). Don't you already have one going through the end channel? Normally, that continuous loop is where you attach the whoopie hook.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph... View Post
    Sorry, let me clarify. I had a whoopie set-up with carabiners. I purchased the whoopie hook set-up to get rid of the carabiners. By using the continuous loops on the tree huggers I don't need a dutch clip. Does that make more sense? On this hammock I will always use only whoopies.
    Partially - the whoopie hook does get rid of the carabiner. But I don't see how moving the CL to the hugger makes any difference with the Dutch Clip. Whether the CL is on the hugger or the hammock, you can run one end of the hugger around the tree and out through the loop on the other end - either way you don't "need" a Dutch Clip, it just makes it easier. Is it just that running the larkshead-ed CL through the hugger loop is easier than running the larkshead-ed Whoopie Sling through?

The biggest down side I can see attaching the whoopie sling permanently to your hammock is that you'll sometimes want to hang between two trees that are a bit close, and your suspension requires a little extra room with whoopie slings. I personally like ADutchable Clips on a tree strap, to make an "adjustable" hugger which can keep your attachment point close to the tree. And if thing's are too close, I can skip the whoopie sling and just use a soft shackle from the strap to the hammock's CL.

Hammock
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A separate continuous loop is unnecessary and just adds length (meaning more space between trees is required). Don't you already have one going through the end channel? Normally, that continuous loop is where you attach the whoopie hook.

I think he's flipping them around - removing the CL from the gathered end and attaching the fixed loop on the whoopie sling instead - like War Bonnet does when you order a whoopie sling suspension (at least that's the way my BB XLC came) - and the CL on the hugger is just a way to attach the Dutch Whoopie Hook. But I could be wrong....

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    I think he's flipping them around - removing the CL from the gathered end and attaching the fixed loop on the whoopie sling instead - like War Bonnet does when you order a whoopie sling suspension (at least that's the way my BB XLC came) - and the CL on the hugger is just a way to attach the Dutch Whoopie Hook. But I could be wrong....
    If the OP bought a Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension, then the whoopie hook is on the adjustable loop. I doubt he disassembled the whoopie sling to attach the hook to the continuous loop that runs through the end-channel. Therefore, he has to be using an additional continuous loop between the whoopie sling and the continuous loop (or between the suspension and the continuous loop). That's how I see it.

The pictures indicate the OP is using the Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension backwards - the hook is meant to be aimed toward the continuous loop on the hammock, but that is the exact opposite of what the pictures indicate.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-28-2018 at 18:03.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    [QUOTE=James Fowler;1898676]Partially - the whoopie hook does get rid of the carabiner. But I don't see how moving the CL to the hugger makes any difference with the Dutch Clip. Whether the CL is on the hugger or the hammock, you can run one end of the hugger around the tree and out through the loop on the other end - either way you don't "need" a Dutch Clip, it just makes it easier. Is it just that running the larkshead-ed CL through the hugger loop is easier than running the larkshead-ed Whoopie Sling through?

Yes! That was my point.

• + New Posts