Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines

Bug Repellents: To Those in Uniform or Hammocks

This is a response to a question that keeps coming up. Since it was asked by someone enlisted, my answer is respectfully addressed to those in uniform. However, the information concerning general use of DEET and specifically synthetic Permethrins apply to the general hammock community. The same chemicals and fabric treatments apply. The author considers the following a matter of personal health and pest control that he has found to be effective.

To those who wish to treat their hammocks, clothes, or uniforms with chemical solutions, please consider safer options.

The BDU, battle dress uniforms, already have too many chemicals in them. If you speak to mills that provide textiles for uniforms, they will inform you that there is a cocktail of chemicals, some of which are not going to wash out. Assume that whatever touches your skin will penetrate the skin and body.
    IMHO, there are better/safer ways to repel pests.
    Permethrin is among other things a neural (nervous system /brain+nerves) toxin. See citation below that answers the question of toxicity. But first...
    What I use personally is a combination of weapons against pests. Unlike synthetic chemicals, to the best of my knowledge these choices don't harm the one using them:

*1. B complex vitamins. Good quality, ie Youngevity brand.
    *2. Bee pollen. Contains good nutrients that make you less of a target, while boosting the energy level and replacing minerals.
    *3. Garlic in food. Easier to implement for weekend warrior, or reserves. Food tastes better but not to parasites.
    *4. Rub plant leaves that are local on the outside of the bdu. IE. Identify them and use those known to repel like in the mint family and many others. It will vary as to region. Some, like lavender, are easily available as house plants and have leaves that can be used while readily available.
    *5. Purchase ready made plant oils. Tea tree oil/melaleuca, eucalyptus and lime/lemon oils. I will not write a book here, for brevity look them up. In the future I'll do a podcast where we'll get into more details. Can simply be diluted in a little sprayer like a hand sanitizer, and lightly sprayed on outer clothing. Just as easy to use as harmful chemicals. It washes off, so I reapply when needed, but beats getting cancer, ms, or ending up in a VA "hospital "while some quack pretending to play Dr kills you. That's a place I'd avoid more than a beaten zone. Better the enemy you know than the enemy within as far as I'm concerned.
    * This is what I've done and not to be taken as advice. Judge for yourself since we all live with benefits and consequences of our personal choices.

Simple barrier against ticks are a rubber band on your cuffs. If bloused inside the boots, they often come out during PT, physical training. Even tied, better to have elastic, then check periodically for ticks. In heavy mosquito area drop a net from the one tucked under your cover. There's ways to attach easily. Plus, head gear with essential oils properly applied works for me. If anyone rasses you they will not do it after their sleepless itchy night.
    Those are simple easy solutions that I have been fortunate to avoid tick bites for over a decade; handling ticky game, and wildlife while working in tick country. That said, I've always been THE mosquito magnet at camp until using those simple tips.

This topics keeps coming up, so I think I should post it as a new thread so many more can benefit.

I advise against Deet at all costs. It's worse than synthsized permethrin. Maybe my brevity and bluntness comes off as preachy, but hang your own hang. Or as some say, pick your poison. I'm only taking time to say this as someone who cares. Below is a brief citation from a text addressing this issue.

Book cited from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine:
    Health Effects of Permethrin-Impregnated Army Battle-Dress Uniforms (1994) ch.4
    " Death in animals occurs within 3 days of exposure to permethrin. The cis/trans isomeric ratio also appears to affect toxicity, the cis isomer being more toxic than the trans isomer in animals (Table 4-2).
    Clinical signs of toxicity, when evident, occur within 2 hr and are associated with central nervous system functions. Permethrin belongs to the Type I group of pyrethroids, and exposure to permethrin is associated with tremors (T syndrome), convulsions, irregular breathing and increased respiratory rates, incoordination, ataxia, hyperactivity, prostration, and paralysis. Other signs that have been reported include hyperexcitability to external stimuli, lacrimation, occasional diarrhea, defecation, and urinary incontinence (Ishmael, 1989). Core body temperature is increased when clinical signs are severe. Signs of toxicity can last up to 3 days after acute exposure."
    This commercial chemical is Not like walking though a patch of chrysanthemum flowers as some would have you think. This week and next i'll be working around skeeters, parasites, including fleas. FWIW, I've learned a few things from experience with wildlife and in toxicology.

I have advised recruits and officers to keep in mind that God and your family love you. The top brass and VA hospitals are Neither. Just ask the few old timers still alive after agent orange exposure, the gulf war syndrome, and experimental shots. Those who are not...can not speak for themselves.

Stay safe!
    To your Health and Happiness,

Equalizer
    Last edited by Equalizer; Today at 02:01.
    Opossums! "Destroyers of ticks"...and mice!
    https://www.fox25boston.com/news/don...ease/768984007
    Last edited by Equalizer; 06-28-2018 at 02:04.

• + New Posts