Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have a summer sock while I like the functionality of having the fabric on bottom to rotate to block wind they are kind of a pain to get out of. I wish they could make it with the zipper on the side but Dutch said he would not do that anymore I guess it was not sturdy enough.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 8.4 oz 11' Robic XL hammock
    Tarp
    1.1 oz silpoly hex
    Insulation
    900Fill 0* quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and UCRs
    Images
    If you know someone with any sewing experience, a fronkey style bugnet takes about 10 minutes to sew.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Before you buy one from Amazon go to vipon.com and search bug net or hammocks. Vipon is a promo code site that gets you great discounts at Amazon. I purchased a great bug net for under $10. http://vipon.com

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I've been using my Amazon bought, 11' Chill Gorilla net since last summer and it's held up great . I've used it with all my 11' hammocks and it fits just fine...
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Images
    Two Tents mentioned using tulle from a fabric store. This works (although it's rather fragile) and very cheap. Sometimes you can find it in a very wide width. I use extra small binder clips with mine- they tend to slip off (or pop off) when stressed so the tulle doesn't get torn.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Why go cheapest? Will you not camp after the scout trip?

I love my BIAS Buginator. Get in touch and see if they can meet yur time deadline.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobamos View Post
    Before you buy one from Amazon go to vipon.com and search bug net or hammocks. Vipon is a promo code site that gets you great discounts at Amazon. I purchased a great bug net for under $10. http://vipon.com
    Right now you can get a whole system. 10' hammock, bug net, and suspension with a Vipon coupon for $18.00. https://www.vipon.com/product/493844...938448_2_image

51byZVvFocL.jpg81u5ilvg3nL._SL1500_.jpg71JFRs52zpL._SL1500_.jpg

I have purchased this set. The hammock is nice the suspension is a very nice daisy loop 1" strap suspension and the bug net is also good. It is a side entry, with a zipper that goes from the mid-point up to near the ridge line. It'll meet you needs. It also comes with stuff sacks for each item, net suspension line and a mini-backpack to hold the whole system.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Right now you can get a whole system. 10' hammock, bug net, and suspension with a Vipon coupon for $18.00. https://www.vipon.com/product/493844...938448_2_image

I have purchased this set. The hammock is nice the suspension is a very nice daisy loop 1" strap suspension and the bug net is also good. It is a side entry, with a zipper that goes from the mid-point up to near the ridge line. It'll meet you needs. It also comes with stuff sacks for each item, net suspension line and a mini-backpack to hold the whole system.
    Yep, and this one has been there for a while. Some items go fast others stick around. It changes every hour sometimes. That bug net I referred to earlier was $5 and change delivered. I actually damaged it, my fault, in high wind setting it up and the company gave me another free. Can't beat that...

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post

I decided what the heck, for the price it’d be good for taking to the beach and RV camping and as a loner so that my good DYI double-layer gathered end hammocks don’t get beat up by the kids and their friends. Ordered on Friday and got the box today, Sunday. It’s about what I expected quality and material wise. Here are my initial observations.

The hammock is made of lightweight 210 taffeta, not ripstop as it says in the description. Loose weave and can see light/shadows through it. Should be nice and cool on a hot breezy day. Poke a hole in the fabric and it will be a catastrophic failure though. The hammock is very similar, if not identical, to the cheap xl/double hammocks being sold in the big box stores, just with a different name screen printed on the built in stuff sack. At least this one comes with tree straps instead of ropes and includes a bug net.

The bug net is about 2/3 the weight and 1/2 the bulk of others that I’ve bought in the past (Chill Gorilla and King Oufitters). The bug net’s non-YKK zipper works smoothly and should hold up as long as the mesh doesn’t get snagged and torn in it. The bug net is made from really lightweight and stretchy polyester mesh (I don’t know mesh but they call it 30A). The plastic ridge line hanging clips are actually very small and well designed, so I’ll probably salvage and reuse them when this goes kaput. I anticipate net durability will be comparable to, maybe a little better than, the tulle wedding vale material that I use for DYI bug nets. I can usually get 1-2 years out of tulle, but my sons only get 6-9 months out of theirs because they’re a bit tougher/careless with their gear.

The 1-inch width, 10-foot long tree straps are the typical Chinese made straps like sold all over amazon/flea-bay. Nothing special to write home about but should hold up just fine. All of the built-in loops make them convenient to adjust but a bit bulky when rolled up.

The carabiners are steel, not aluminum as advertised. They’re heavy and a magnet sticks to them. Totally unmarked so the weight load rating is unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll find me hanging somewhere in the sunshine state.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just closing the loop on this. I ordered a Dutch bottom-entry net last week and received it Saturday. I know it'll fit and work great, but I'm a bit surprised at the bulk. It's not heavy, but for backpacking, it would seem to eat up a good amount of space in a pack. However, if it prevents being eaten alive in your sleep, it's probably worth it.

Now, a question: for those with separate (non-integrated) bug nets, do you typically attach them to your hammock before you head out, or pack them separately and attach on-site? I'm thinking there is probably enough room in the stuff sack that came with my 11' Dutch hammock (assuming I pack the tree huggers separately), and it seems like it'd save some setup time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast