SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle

Speedy Stitcher for straps

Does anyone use a speedy sticher for making straps? I'm getting ready to sew some up and am wondering how many rows of stitching to use and the proper spacing. Can I use my nylon thread?

The speedy stitchers I have used in the past were all for doing leather stitching- NOT fabric/ or webbing. The needle's have cutting edges and will cut the webbing fibers. Not what you want supporting you above ground. They may make a pointed/ ball point needle for the ss? don't know. Hand stitching I think 1/8" stitchs with polyester thread will be fine. Nylon stretchs- you don't want that in suspensions. If you have access to a sewing machine it would do a nice job. The best stitch pattern is in line with the strap, forming a "W" pattern (repeat "W" in opposite direction). Next would be the boxed/"X" , then the 4 or 5 bar tacks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Years ago I use a speedy stitcher to make some straps with the nylon thread and they held up fine. Not saying it's ideal, just saying I have done it with no issues the times I used them. I got a sewing machine shortly after so I can't comment on how they would hold up long term.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I've, also, just hand stitched the end loop in a strap. Straight needle and thread. Simple running stitch. I sewed the x-box pattern and went over it several times.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I did a little research awhile back and concluded bartacks were the way to go. I do 5 of them and move on. I'm a big fella and have never had an issue.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

I do not know how to post old posts so if someone could help I would appreciate that. 1) post by 'nik.martin' on 3-16-11- 'web stitch strength info' and 2) post by gmcttr on 2-12-14- 'help injecting webbing'. The first one is a nice chart and the second involves the math/ strength. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    I did a little research awhile back and concluded bartacks were the way to go. I do 5 of them and move on. I'm a big fella and have never had an issue.
    I came to the same conclusion based on this guy's data.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence to support the argument that the "W" or the X-box will hold you up, year after year; but the bar tacks were shown to exceed the strength of the webbing. That's the only argument that matters to me.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Are you doing the bar tacs by hand? Looks like it takes a while to do them properly. The other methods look a little quicker. I guess I work cheap though. Just waiting on my thead to show up now. Thanks Dug

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Someone should do a test of breaking strength of the different stitches on webbing actually around a tree. I would think the the forces we exert on a typical hang set up are much less due to the friction of the webbing on the tree. Another thing is, it’s good to know how strong the webbing and stitching are but what about the rest of the system. What’s the breaking strength of the hammock material or the the stitching of an end channel? If either break at let’s say 700lbs then what’s the point in having webbing stitching that exceeds the breaking strength of the webbing or the hammock? What’s the safety ratio of the hammocks we all use? 5:1 is a commonly quoted ratio people feel comfortable using for personal use but is there any testing or data available? My WBBB is rated at 275lbs, should I assume it strong enough to hold 5 times that? I do remember a thread years ago where Brandon tested a hammock to 1000lbs but what about other manufacturers? Bottom line for me is it’s whatever feels comfortable. My splicing isn’t to spec but I’m fine with it. I use webbing with a variety of stitch patterns and I’m also fine with it.
    Last edited by Bubba; 06-28-2018 at 15:34.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Another thing is, it’s good to know how strong the webbing and stitching are but what about the rest of the system. What’s the breaking strength of the hammock material or the the stitching of an end channel?
    Valid points! I guess my approach is this: if I buy some 1500# webbing, why would I want to turn it into a 700# tree hugger with weak stitching? If my hammock is only good for half of what the straps are, that's fine. I'll work within those limitations. But it seems foolish to me to build weakness into a product when it's so easy to maximize it's strength. Even if you don't think you'll need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I do remember a thread years ago where Brandon tested a hammock to 1000lbs but what about other manufacturers?
    This came up in another thread the other day. The folks at RBTR got similar results: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...89105502884063

My guess is that most (non-ultralight) hammock fabrics will be comparable in strength to 1 inch webbing or 7/64 Amsteel. Any possible weakness would be the whipping/stitching at the ends. Which I would also argue should be maximized to the greatest extent possible!

That's one area of testing that seems to have been neglected in the hammock community.

• + New Posts