Would like to get started

So my wife and I would like to make a hammock for home use only. Essentially she was so comfortable napping in the ENO Sub7 on a recent camping trip that she/we want to make a better one for sleeping inside the house instead of the bed. I most recently purchased the "Ultimate Hang" and have been trying to catch on to all the various terms and skills needed for this adventure.

She is 5'3'' at 180lbs. I on the other hand am 5'11" at 300lbs.

I would assume we will need to make two different size hammocks?
    All the fabric scares me when having to choose, so some help would be appreciated.

Looking for a place to start

Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch
    If you go to Ripstopbytheroll.com they have a chart with what the fabrics are rated at (roughly). And you can make double layer hammocks that are quite Strong.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Images
    For home-only use, consider just getting a cotton Vivere Brazilian hammock. I think they are sub-$60 nowadays. It's a 14-footer and will hold a lot of weight. Great for indoors or back porch lounging. If you want to mount it indoors, you'll need a mounting kit that would support 300lbs or just get a hammock stand which you can put anywhere (which Vivere also sells). I've had mine for about 4 years with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    For home-only use, consider just getting a cotton Vivere Brazilian hammock. I think they are sub-$60 nowadays. It's a 14-footer and will hold a lot of weight. Great for indoors or back porch lounging. If you want to mount it indoors, you'll need a mounting kit that would support 300lbs or just get a hammock stand which you can put anywhere (which Vivere also sells). I've had mine for about 4 years with no problems.
    I'm not sure cotton would be the best for her. Even with AC running she is hot at night, LOL.

Images
    The fact that it's cotton does not make it any warmer. It is a hammock with airflow underneath, so the tendency will be for it to feel cold regardless of what fabric it is made of. I keep an underquilt on mine full time, even at room temperature.

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's the link to RSBTR on their recommended weight limits

https://ripstopbytheroll.zendesk.com...mparison-chart

The 1.6 hyperD would probably be fine and let you do a single layer hammock. Rated at 300 but during it's roll out there were plenty of 300+ hangers that reported no issues or catastrophic failures. I believe RSBTR stress testing was at 1000 lbs of cement sacks for 10 days with <5% stretch so the stuff shouldn't just fail because you exceed it. My brother swings around 250 - 280 and we did a HyperD one for him. No issues so far. I personally assume there's an engineering/liability factor in those limits so don't mind brushing against them.

If you want to be safer a double layer Robic 1.0 hammock is rated for 400 lbs only weights a few more ounces and is only slightly harder to hem. Slight harder is relative, it will still be pretty darn easy to sew it yourself even if you're a novice.

Edit: Found the testing thread with pdf result:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...89105502884063

Doesn't mean it's rated for 1200 lbs obviously but it's also not going to come apart because 325 lbs gets placed inside it.
    Last edited by MoldyFrog; 06-26-2018 at 17:29.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Dyneema/Poly
    I am partial to Dutchwaregear.com Hexon fabric. I, at 6'1"+ and 185, like the 1.0 and 1.6oz. The feel is close to cotton, which is very nice. I want to make shorts out of the stuff!

You could get the 2.4oz (I think) and the 1.6 for her - unless you want a little more stretch for her at the sacrifice of durability, then try the 1.0.

Here's the video I followed to make my hammocks. He keeps it simple.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-sew-a-hammock

I do what he did and use all 4yds of the material (no cutting required!). For her, you might trim it to 10ft - 10.5ft.

Images
    Oh, and another pretty good option is just to get a nylon taffeta tablecloth blank from Tablecloth Factory, whip the ends, and badabing, you got a heavy duty hammock for $20. (Rigging not included). No sewing required for that and the fabric is great for home use. (Too heavy for backpack use).