Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch

Preparing for first DIY project.

I just received my $10 DIY kit from RSBTR and am super excited to make myself a roll top stuff sack!
    My next project will be a DIY hammock from them and I'm curious. I have been thinking of using the 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon. But as I look more and more I am considering other options.
    What fabric did you choose and why?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageX89 View Post
    I just received my $10 DIY kit from RSBTR and am super excited to make myself a roll top stuff sack!
    My next project will be a DIY hammock from them and I'm curious. I have been thinking of using the 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon. But as I look more and more I am considering other options.

Just finished my 12' DIY in the 1.6 hyper D and I love it. Best feeling ripstop I have ever laid on its a bit heavier than the ultralight stuff but I'll pack a little extra weight. My first 12' was in a 1.9 poly coated and it is very heavy. Sturdy as it is a double layer but the hyper D I just used is the best feeling stuff I have used

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Choosing a Fabric for Your Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by SavageX89 View Post

Greetings, and welcome to HF.

The choice of fabric for the hammock body in a gathered-end hammock is probably the most important and most subjective choice one must make in a new hammock, whether one builds it DIY or orders it from a vendor.

The factors that go into your choice of fabric for your build are likely to be (in order of descending approximate importance):

1) Load Capacity -- How much weight will one layer of the fabric safely carry? When in doubt, I always make trailworthiness count and choose the sturdier fabric. Why worry?

2) Comfort Factor -- Even if your fabric will carry your required weight, some may carry it more comfortably than others, and choosing a degree of compliance is very personal. Some like fabric that has a lot of give, while others at the same weight may find the same fabric to be too stretchy and insufficiently supportive. When in doubt, I always prefer the more supportive fabric. Remember also that you can build double-layer hammocks ad get the strength and features of two different fabrics for a modest weight penalty. DL hammocks are very supportive and good protection against insect bites for netted hammocks used in warmer weather without an underquilt.; they also offer the versatility of a pad pocket if you ever want to use a sleeping pa in your hammock.

3) Surface feel AKA "Hand" -- This one is REALLY subjective, but since the hammock body is in direct contact with you whenever you're in your hammock, it's good to look for fabrics with a nice surface finish, especially if you find you're sensitive to such factors. Some folks may find certain fabrics to be too plasticky or too rough.

4) Width Off the Roll -- Based on our size, preferred angle of lay, and problem areas for hammock fit (e.g., shoulder squeeze, calf ridge pressure), each of us slowly learns our own preferences for the amount of width we like in a gathered-end hammock body of a given length. Make sure the usable width of the fabric you choose will allow for a proper (reduced) finished width.

5) Colors and Patterns -- There are more choices in hammock fabrics today than ever before with the advent of digital printing. Sometimes you just have to have your hammock in a particular color -- or with tiger stripes! Find something you like.

My first-ever DIY hammock was a double-layer 1.9 oz outer/1.1 oz inner gathered-end build 132" x 58".

My current favorite hammock body fabric is Dutchware Hexon 1.6, which you can order digitally printed in Print2Fabric patterns as well as colors.

HTH...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 06-24-2018 at 08:58.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 8.4 oz 11' Robic XL hammock
    Tarp
    1.1 oz silpoly hex
    Insulation
    900Fill 0* quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and UCRs
    Images
    I’d suggest familiarizing yourself with materials and just ordering them rather than ordering kits. You’ll save money and have leftover material to do fun things with. Diy isn’t too hard, just don’t let the fabric slip under while sewing!

• + New Posts