Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

"Cat's Whisker" net spreader

Has anyone ever done something like a "Cat's Whisker" spreader for keeping the bug net held more open and away from your face?

I'm thinking of something like a short section of spring-coil with a pair of arms. It would slip over the ridgeline inside the net and the spring would flex to allow the arms to drape outwards/downwards at an angle to hold the net back.
    I've got a piece of spring that seems flexy enough, and I'm looking around to see what might wedge into the ends as arms.
    If someone has already solved this, I don't want to re-invent the wheel".
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Can't recall anyone using what you are describing. Speader bars are used in some hammocks in the same manner as tent poles. I'm thinking the
    "cat whiskers" might get in the way of your head when getting in and out which is not a huge deal. Post some pics of your finished idea.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    if you're using a bottom entry, weight the opening of the net, it should go taught against the sides of your hammock and be naturally spread away from your face

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

"Cat's Whisker" net spreader

Typically, the solution used for this issue is some variation of external pullouts. They use shock cords to pull the net out using strategically placed sewn on loops. Usually they are placed on the hammock body, but the best ones are placed on the net. The other common solution is to cut the net into an asymmetrical shape, but it means you can’t lay both ways anymore. Another option is to use a sock or a bottom entry fronkey style separate net. They are a little better at draping efficiently.

That said, your idea is not bad. If it packs down well and doesn’t damage the netting, it might be a cool idea.

I'd be nervous about snagging the net, causing a wear spot, and even keeping the "whiskers" in place. I remember a picture of someone spreading the hammock from below with an external flexed pole (instead of stakes and guy lines) using the tie-out points. Maybe the point was to allow the hammock to still swing(?)

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I've considered most of the concerns you guys raise.
    I'm in an asym Chameleon, and have the top cover. It particularly drapes down.
    The spring that I have is soft enough to bend easily and give under pressure, and not snagging/poking the net is as simple soft foam earplugs on the tips of the whiskers.
    I just can't figure out something to use for them. The perfect solution would be foam cylinders/sticks like NERF guns fire, but a bit longer.
    I am off to WallyWorld in the next few days and will cruise the aisles for inspiration....

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    I've considered most of the concerns you guys raise.
    I'm in an asym Chameleon, and have the top cover. It particularly drapes down.
    The spring that I have is soft enough to bend easily and give under pressure, and not snagging/poking the net is as simple soft foam earplugs on the tips of the whiskers.
    I just can't figure out something to use for them. The perfect solution would be foam cylinders/sticks like NERF guns fire, but a bit longer.
    I am off to WallyWorld in the next few days and will cruise the aisles for inspiration....
    the net shouldn't be in your face at all then. do you have it backwards to your lay direction?

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Thx, Walks~
    No.
    It's on right. It's just that the material my TC is made of is really light and it droops more than the netting.
    I just want MORE stuff to fool around with to get it "perfect".
    I was just playing around with a green willow stick and two balls of TP on our Back to the Lake Hang, found a spring in my junk trove down cellar when I got home, and got started thinking of yet another way to over complicate my experience.

Images
    Thinking structurally:

Two thin pieces of cardboard wedged together to create an "X-beam" would be stable at long lengths enough to push the net like a spreader bar, yet also be light. Same thing can be accomplished with a "V-beam" (fold it down the middle).

A tape measure? (just the tape)

Tent pole sections

A very long balloon or plastic sleeve (light and inflatable, semi-rigid structure). If you had such a sleeve and attached it to the netting, simply inflating it would make the net poof out.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Thx, Walks~
    No.
    It's on right. It's just that the material my TC is made of is really light and it droops more than the netting.
    I just want MORE stuff to fool around with to get it "perfect".
    I was just playing around with a green willow stick and two balls of TP on our Back to the Lake Hang, found a spring in my junk trove down cellar when I got home, and got started thinking of yet another way to over complicate my experience.
    was going to say, you're not exactly new here... I tried both the wide and regular versions of the Chameleon and don't really have issues with loose fabric in either as long as I'm in it on the angle... the wide version was closer to that situation and if i layed in it opposite the netting, the netting would get all wrinkled in general and floppy on the ends where my head and foot are supposed to be, in the regular version though, the net only gets a little wrinkly unless I go full banana.

I'm 5'7" though, so maybe the normal one would fit someone significantly shorter than me in the same way that the wide one fits me.

but if you're just looking for an excuse to tinker, that's completely different...
    Reminds me too that i haven't yet tried the top cover

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast